Refreshing 360 after 10 years....

-
Pictures of Mag Heads....shows inserts for the shaft rockers...then intake and exhaust...

20171026_114122_resized.jpg

20171026_114110_resized.jpg

20171026_114249_resized.jpg

Auto Marine Machine in Carson City NV....

The young man who did the porting work does not work there anymore...I believe he is in Vegas

Got bored today....washed the block...lol

wd 40 it .......and bagged it....

picked up balanced assembly today....Kb pistons about 50 grams heavier then the SRP...I did not know SRP had .070 360 pistons...otherwise would have went with them.

see if we can get the short block assemble next week.....will be in Bakersfield this weekend....

20171031_210729_resized.jpg

After a disastrous weekend in Bakersfield ...working on this old 360 motor....got crank in ....pistons on rods....machine shop had misplaced one wrist pin they used to hone small end of rod....they found it...or did not know where it went...LOL....

20171107_170037.jpg

20171108_162246.jpg

20171108_165506.jpg

Hope you can get er done and join us at SCSN!

Nope.....broke the new 410 that is in car....car still in trailer....

I dont think the driver can go racing anyway....could have Dart ready to run but as said driver has other commitments ....got a complete 408 ....

filed rings this afternoon....pistons 1 3 5 7 are loaded....got the other side to file still.

put the odd bank of pistons in ......got the mp 590 cam installed and degree in at 102....then realized i can not reuse the lifters...cause they dont oil up the pushrod....got a set of correct lifters that have been setting in a box for several years....compcams... gotta go cal the compression on this thing...pistons are out of the deck +.018

I went to file the even bank of rings then I screwed up ....so awaiting a for some new rings....

assembling one engine while tearing down another....keeping busy...

20171115_172025_resized.jpg

20171115_172036_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got rings to finish the short block.....not going to use Eddy Magnum heads on this engine...going with a set of ported LA heads now instead...
and got that put back together this afternoon...should have the engine on in a few days as I got other cars to fix....

daughter Caliper need new motor mounts...and oldest daughter has a 63 Valiant 270 SW that i am replacing the drum brakes with KH four piston disc....

20171201_171216_resized.jpg

20171201_171238_resized.jpg

After changing motor mounts on a 2007 dodge caliber...PIA...get back to the fun stuff....got the timing chain on...and oil pump and pan....and touched upped the paint....

Will see if I can get the heads on tomorrow.....

20171204_174931_resized.jpg

20171204_174941_resized.jpg

Well....The heads are on the engine...mocked up the rockers...but I dont think I have any pushrods that fit this .....but since I got a big box of them...I will dig thru and see what i got .....or measure them and order a set from Smiths brothers.....No big hurry...since the track is not opened and being torn up for the 4 wide crap....got a few more projects to do before the race season opens...

I love these rocker shaft hold downs........and these heads were purchased several years ago....they are the speedmaster CNC version.....So they are next up....

20171205_175339_resized.jpg

20171205_175347_resized.jpg

20171205_175355_resized.jpg

It would be cool to fill all 4 lanes with your cars all a once? Nice family video... triple or quadruple wheelies! LOL

Well....The heads are on the engine...mocked up the rockers...but I dont think I have any pushrods that fit this .....but since I got a big box of them...I will dig thru and see what i got .....or measure them and order a set from Smiths brothers.....No big hurry...since the track is not opened and being torn up for the 4 wide crap....got a few more projects to do before the race season opens...

I love these rocker shaft hold downs........and these heads were purchased several years ago....they are the speedmaster CNC version.....So they are next up....

View attachment 1715118563

View attachment 1715118564

View attachment 1715118565

Setup adjustable pushrods and got length needed...at least i thought it was...dug thru my boxes of pushrods....everything too long...came up with 7.26.....never had any that short...was wondering about the lifters and if the lifters seat was different...nope...I used this cam and lifters in the 71 Duster...so...about to pick up the phone and call Smith's ....decided to take a second look...well...noticed that the lifter was not on the heal of the cam...dud...Thought I was on number 1 firing ..i was on 6....LOL.......get things corrected...come up with 7.58"....same length i had ordered once before..

but as I was hurrying..using battery operated impact gun...to screw rockers hold downs in and out faster..I screwed up one of the Heilcoils in one of the pedestals....took me a bit of time to get the old one out...ran tap and put a new 5/16 heilcoil in...done.

So moving on....waiting for pushrods and new adjusters for the old crane 1.5 rockers...

Interesting....i run the same cnc´d heads and will switch to a victor intake this winter. Did you do any work to the victor intake?

Michael

Don't know what intake will end up on it...just had that one sitting there doing nothing...LOL....probably just gasket match it.

Got the adjuster on today,,,Saturday.,,,

Last edited:
ok..pushrods showed up on Tuesday, got them installed...adjusted rockers then backed off the shafts....since probably wont be any racing for a few months....got OLD Holley Strip Dominator on it.....

Bought this sucker brand new went it sold for 99 dollars back in the early 80s..........

20171215_161727_resized.jpg

20171215_161738_resized.jpg

I would have bought an intake gasket and two head gaskets and screwed it back together.

Yes..that is what i should have done....but that was 2 years ago....

ok....this engine is coming back to life...the SM CNC heads from SM are coming off....and a pair of Imm ported SM heads are going on...along with the KB 744 .070.....has Scat I beam rods instead of the H beams....MP 590 cam...not sure about what Intake will be on it....either Holley SD or Eddy victor 340...Crane ROLLER rockers...1.6 Intake 1.5 Exhaust...Probably going to use the TTi 1 7/8 headers since they are half way on the car....

We changed the gearing in the car for the 408 from 4.56 to 4.30...the 4.30 will stay......Changing to TA4400 series converter with 2.74/154 geared 904 to make up for the 4.30 gears....
Stay tune....1st TnT on Jan 18...

Got the old heads off....got the ported SM heads on today...got the rockers back on and adjusted the valves.
Need to get an intake manifold....

Ran into a problem...was priming the oil pump....pump showed over 100 psi...and I was hand cranking it...
Try it again tomorrow and probably drop the pan....

20191230_121908_resized.jpg

Finishing up the 904 for this engine...been sitting on table waiting for me....had to put valve body back in it....aka transbrake...got one wire connection to make tomorrow and it is done...then dig up the TA 4400 converter....as said this one is got the low gear set in it...to make up for the 4.30 rear gear.

dropped oil pan today.....changed out pump.....primed again....just over 70 psi...will check out that pump later...probably the relief spring is stuck....

was going to put holley sd on engine but...things do not line up well...and so I am using the eddy 340 victor that went to IMM with the heads...fits perfect....did not have any RTV left over after resealing the oil pan...so tomorrow get the intake on...finish off the trans...and get it all bolted together...

Should be running this weekend.....

-
Back