Refreshing 360 after 10 years....

-
After getting it home from the 1st race weekend I was able to take a look at a few things, 1st the valve adjustment was terrible...No.6 intake was so loose I was surprise the pushrod was still there...plus had a few exhaust valves that were tight....I need to do a better job...LOL

Compression test ...everything was the same...but the cylinders are down about 15 psi from the old engine numbers....and I can see the pressure bleed off...apparently the rings are not seated yet....I really did not like the hone job I got on this block....but it is together now....

Spend the weekend...even though i have been sick for the past two weeks...mounting new slicks and tubes...gotta love that 35 dollar HF tire changer...and 35 dollar bubble balancer.....going to mount the old slicks on a extra set of rims for spares....

Next race March 18, one day race no TnT...

Another busy day getting all the cars loaded for Saturday afternoon race.

20170317_185933_resized.jpg

Sheesh! If I knew the gray primered hood look was "in", I could have probably joined in the fun today..... except it's my work Saturday. Get some rounds Tony!

the Dart made one pass on March 18, slowed to 11.01 @ 118....we parked it..

As noted in post No. 76....that loose rocker arm turns out to be a flat lobe on the flat tappet cam....as I suspected.
During the rebuild I noticed one tappet looked like it had a hair line cracks on it like a blister....could not feel anything on it...and the cam lobe look fine also...so I replaced all the lifter on the 10 year old cam.....apparently no. 6 intake did not like that....i do not remember if that was the lobe with the blistered lifter or not....old age..

Engine comes out last saturday...torn down...everything cleaned...oil pump thrown away...pulled all the main caps and none of the bearing showed that any metal had gotten in there...cleaned metal filing out of oil pan...cleaned everything twice....

Replaced the 10 yr old Hughes 6064 cam with mopar 590 cam.....got everything back together except intake manifold...putting it back in Dart on Tuesday....doing a little spectating at the nhra drags this weekend...

the Dart made one pass on March 18, slowed to 11.01 @ 118....we parked it..

As noted in post No. 76....that loose rocker arm turns out to be a flat lobe on the flat tappet cam....as I suspected.
During the rebuild I noticed one tappet looked like it had a hair line cracks on it like a blister....could not feel anything on it...and the cam lobe look fine also...so I replaced all the lifter on the 10 year old cam.....apparently no. 6 intake did not like that....i do not remember if that was the lobe with the blistered lifter or not....old age..

Engine comes out last saturday...torn down...everything cleaned...oil pump thrown away...pulled all the main caps and none of the bearing showed that any metal had gotten in there...cleaned metal filing out of oil pan...cleaned everything twice....

Replaced the 10 yr old Hughes 6064 cam with mopar 590 cam.....got everything back together except intake manifold...putting it back in Dart on Tuesday....doing a little spectating at the nhra drags this weekend...

How much horse power would you say the motor is putting out

Best I can do with HP is convert the et/mph to perfect air like a dyno does...and use wallace calculators with weight....
by ET it says at flywheel 545...by mph it says 525....so go figure...

Dropped the 360 back into the dart this afternoon.....need to hook things up and get it running again.

You're working right along for an old man. Good job!

But I got a ton of other projects to do...Probably die before i get to them...LOL

20170326_102256_resized_1.jpg

20170326_103101_1491442125948_resized.jpg

Four engines sitting there...3 transmissions...fresh crank for another short block that now has been assembled...1 of the trans is for the 69 Dart...another is a spare that needs to be fixed...and one you can barely see goes back in the 71 dart...and now is in the with engine that has alternator and electric water pump.....orange engine goes to 69 Dart....one is a 408 that is fresh ...after have a main bearing problem.....another 360 eddy head engine that was in 73 Duster last year....

And I got another block..getting bored..squared.. crank turned and internally balanced with SRP pistons and Scat rods.....should be out of machine shop next week...Going to be spare engine....

Plus gotta a fully machine 318 block that is suppose to be stroke to a 390...got all the parts but have not gotten there yet....

Finally got a new battery in my 73 Duster today so it is running again after sitting for a month...fixing small **** on my 99 dodge 1500...fan resistor ..no low speed on fan...not a back as I thought it would be...and fixed the most important thing..the cup holder...still gotta replace power steering pump that has been leaking for a couple of month...new pump in back seat for couple of month now...LOL...

Got a new Xmas present the Barrel Blaster Cabinet...have not used it yet...LOL
And I have a 70 AARCuda that has been waiting for me now for 30 yrs ....

Last edited:
Waiting on a new cap and rotor ....the MP race electronics distributor use the Accel 8330 cap and rotor...They were unavailable for a while. I guess Accel was moving production to china...LOL....So I bought a few replacement caps and rotors from AutoZone...LOL

Yesterday I installed the old AutoZone rotor. And I could wiggle it on the distributor about a 1/4 inch ....and I wondered why I was chasing the timing on this car at the 1st race...

Ok...finally got time to start the old dart up again...MATS coming this week...

Friday and Saturday head wind...Sunday elimations big tail wind shoe polish time

Friday and Saturday head wind...Sunday elimations big tail wind shoe polish time

It was very nice to have met you and got to see your cars as well. Got to see all three of your cars make one pass before leaving. In my opinion very good times considering the head wind you were dealing with.

And the old Density Altitude was hovering around 4700 ft...

Replacement Short block for 71 Dart...came back from Machine shop....plus the internally balanced crank...moving forward with this, unless those rings seat....daughter complaint that her car is slow now...ran 10.81 on Sunday..

Since we race every weekend except for Memorial day weekend to June 4....aint going to get swapped out until then.

early 360 block bored .040. SRP flat top pistons and Scat I beam rods...

20170426_162107_resized.jpg

And the old Density Altitude was hovering around 4700 ft...

Replacement Short block for 71 Dart...came back from Machine shop....plus the internally balanced crank...moving forward with this, unless those rings seat....daughter complaint that her car is slow now...ran 10.81 on Sunday..

Since we race every weekend except for Memorial day weekend to June 4....aint going to get swapped out until then.

early 360 block bored .040. SRP flat top pistons and Scat I beam rods...

View attachment 1715042121
I wish my 360 would run a 10.81. I'd be so happy. It take a long time to wipe the smile off my face. Your Daughters Dart looked pretty impressive to me when I saw it make the one pass I seen on Saturday.

32 Spiro locks in record time......scat 1 beams and Srp pistons.....

20170429_123041_resized.jpg

-
Back