Relocating to NC

-

dfea

Reaction score
So the family and I are going to be relocating to the Asheville area of NC in about a month. What kinda car/Mopar events can I look forward too?

- Dan

Off the top of my head I know of mopars at mcdowell and the farmington mopar fun run. Youll be next door to jdmopar and 1-1/2 hours from yours truly.

You are approx. 1 hour or so depending on your location in Asheville from Bristol, TN which includes Bristol Motor Speedway(NASCAR) and Bristol Dragway(NHRA). The annual MOPAR/FORD show is coming up at the end of August at Bristol Dragway. The MOPAR and Ford shows used to be separate but the promoters decided to combine the shows for higher attendance and obviously more $$$. Overall, still a decent show with Drag Racing, Car Show and Swap Meets for both brands. If they would advertise the shows a little more, attendance would even be better.....

Cool thanks for the info guys. Farmington sounds like a location what is mcdowell? So Bristol has a similar event to Englishtown up here, that's cool one less thing I'll miss.

Any cruise nights in the area that anyone may know of?

Well if you guys see a White '68 Sedan, pretty much still all original, around please say hey.

- Dan

better learn to eat grits and say " toy'all"! ( i was raised in south ga)
might be a little of a " change" but i would like to think you will love it there. i have neighbor ( like 8 mi away, makes him a neighbor)... that moved here to missouri from ct. ( like goin from Ryan's steak house to Mcdonalds)....LOL good luck....

Thanks barbee, we are definitely looking forward to it. Its a move by choice, my Brother has been down there for about 20 years now and every time we visit we say to ourselves why don't move. So we are finally going for it...

Downside is leaving my Mopar Brothers up here, so I have to find some more. And convince the rest to follow. Can never have too many Mopars in one place..

- Dan

One of the best weekend cruise ins(Sat Night) within the area occurs in Elizabethton, TN which is not far from Bristol and actually on the Asheville, NC side....Its hosted by the Carter County Car Club.....http://www.cartercountycarclubtn.com/......link provided...the Main Street in Elizabethton is blocked off and cars are parked on both sides all the way down main street....this is more than a local cruise in....most any Sat night there are cars from the immediate Tri Cities Area and its NOT unusual to see cars with North Carolina and Virginia car tags.....people don't mind driving the distance to cruise in and park....not unusual to see some high end cars there on any given Sat night....just like any other show, Mopars are a minority but there are on occasions Super Birds, Hemi Cars, etc....well worth the travel providing weather is nice....Several nice local restaurants up and down Main Street and around the immediate city...check out the link and it also has some pics of the cars and you can get an idea how they park on Main Street....Also you may want to check out the Grand Rod Run in Pigeon Forge, TN(close to Knoxville)....occurs in Spring and Fall....one of the larger car shows and attracts more cars than you could ever dream....the Saturday night cruise on the street reminds you of Brice Road at the Mopar Nationals except you will see most anything and everything there.....most all cars are for sale if you are a potential buyer.....go early because it takes a full day to see everything and watch the interesting cruising on the streets during the day and night.....Have Fun....Welcome to the South....

Nice thanks red_srt10, sounds like a good time, I'll definitely have to make the trip.

- Dan

So the family and I are going to be relocating to the Asheville area of NC in about a month. What kinda car/Mopar events can I look forward too?

- Dan

Dan,

I'm from Wilton, Connecticut.

First off, forget about getting any decent Italian Food. There isn't a decent Italian
Deli in the state.

But, at least North Carolina is a Gear Head State.

Rockingham, which is 3 1/2 hours east of Asheville, has some great Mopar Meets.

NC makes the best Italian B B Q !!pork meat balls! pasta made out of yellow squash and zucchini!
how bout hardly any snow, warm enough to have garage that is open shed??? finding project cars that still have their frame rails??
actually. lots of good things about that part of the world. maybe why some of the new England folk have been migrating down there for decades!!??? LOL
just remember the cival war is not necessarily over. I heard they will start back just as soon as the supply of grits and cannonballs is adequate!?? LOL

69_440_Cuda, I'm not far from Wilton I'm in Stratford. I'll be honest, I'd trade Italian food for a Gear Head State any day. Luckily my wife is part Italian so we'll just have to bring it with us. Thanks for the heads up on Rockingham.

barbee, " finding project cars that still have their frame rails?? " thats just a myth right? They don't actually exist, do they?

- Dan

I was raised in south Ga, been in Missouri since 79. ( old fart)... n.c lot like ga. ga, is high humidity, n ga gets a little (very little) snow, ( not sure if they ever bought a snow plow or even know what salt is??? o k so they feed it to cows). humidity works on metal somewhat but in general A CAR DOWN THERE ( NOT A NORTHERN TRANSPALNT) SHOULD HAVE no frame problems. yea, if the floor rotted off and someone left the window down, the crossrail will rust out. you will find pllenty of normal rust in qtr, floors, etc. of course depending on which body style.
just remember don't go crazy trying to buy up every car you find with solid frame rails. leave some for the local please!! LOL
course, maybe Ted Stephens has already bought up every mopar project in n c !??????? ( hey Ted!)

Well after the fuel to trailer my current three rides from CT to NC and my final forth run with the house stuff, I'm guessing there won't be a lot of funds left to grab up more cars. But one never knows.... sometimes emotions step all over sense. I'm still in awe that they exist though...

- Dan

Hey Dan. Welcome to our area! I've lived in the Asheville area all my life. About a month shy of 57 years! There is a cruise in every Tuesday evening on Brevard Rd. (Hwy 191) at Celebrity Hot Dogs. There are others on Friday and Saturday nights on Patton Ave. I think the one on Friday night is at Sonic Drive In, if it started back? The manager got all pissy about it last year, and it stopped for a while. The one mentioned above, in Elizabethton, TN is a really good one, and is a nice drive over and back. I live in the Enka/Candler area, and drive a purple 71 Challenger conv when we go out and about with a car. There really aren't many, if any project cars sitting around to be had in this area. Most are long gone, or with the " I'm gonna fix er up one of these days" folks. I've been trying to buy a T/A Challenger for 34 years, and he's STILL gonna fix er up one day! :banghead: I hope you have a good move, and getting your cars here goes off with no problems. I'm sure it won't be what you're used to, but we do get snow here. The D.O.T. has plenty of snow plows, but the terrain is what slows the clearing. Since you've been here a lot, you already know you've got two choices in land...straight up, or straight down....lol. Take care, and if you need any help with anything, send me a PM. :D

Thanks JD, I am looking forward to finally getting there. Its been a long six months of prep. All three cars have successfully made the trip and I'll admit its a weird feeling with them so far away but I did get a chance to take the Dart out last time I was down. In any case it will be great to get to a cruise thanks for the heads up. In my case a lack of project cars is probably a good thing, one of the three I relocated is a '69 Road Runner father daughter project waiting to be started. I look forward to seeing your Challenger at one of the cruises.

- Dan

JD - I may be in the Asheville area the end of July, first of August. Where would the Saturday evening cruise be? How far is it to Elizabethton?
C

Unless they have moved it, the Sat. evening cruise is in the back parking lot of Dennys Restaurant on Patton Ave. It's on the west side of the I-240/Patton intersection. Elizabethton is maybe 50 miles away, but it's a nice drive, and is all interstate. Takes less than an hour to get there. I've been spending a lot of time in Myrtle Beach this summer, and haven't even had my car out. :banghead: I haven't turned a wrench on my Duster in 10 months......been busy "restomodding" a park model camper at the beach. Done with that now, so it's time to get my Challenger out, and also get back to work on the Duster. :glasses7:

Thanks Tbone, where is Farmington in relation to Asheville?

JD, I know what you mean with "I haven't turned a wrench on my Duster in 10 months", my Superbee should have been finished this spring but instead the only thing I did was move it down there. Thankfully the Dart is a driver, I just get in and go....well I would if it weren't moved already... soon though.

- Dan

JD, thanks for the reply. I will be planning my trip back south next week and will definitely try and put one of these cruises on the calendar!
C

-
Back