Remember your first set of radials?

-

clhyer

Reaction score
I got a tire tech manual from AlaskanTA the other day and it got me to recalling my first set of radials. I got mine in 1972, BFG Lifesaver Radials. I had my '67 Firebird, before I put them on I could smoke the belted tires all the way through 1st, halfway through 2nd and squeak 'em in 3rd (with a 4 speed). After I put the BFG's on - I could get a decent patch in 1st and squeak in 2nd. It was for sure an eye opener.
Do you recall the first set of radials you got?
C

LOL, that's funny.

WHY , YES I do! I had a 67 Impala with the OE rubber and moved to a radial. WOW!

When I bought my Barracuda in 1974 it had Pirelli radials on it. They squealed almost every time I turned a corner. I can remember turning a corner by a gas station one time & there was a Highway Patrolman sitting there who turned to watch me when he heard me turn. I was probably going less than 20 mph.

In the mid 1980's I bought a 1963 VW Beetle that had bias ply tires on it. It wandered all over the road. Put on a set of radials & the change was amazing. Drove smooth & tracked straight. No more wandering.

Yeah, 1955 Belair with a 425 hp 396, 4 sp. Put on BFG big radials. Tore the rear shocks out of the trunk floorpan, and sheared 5 lug studs.

Put on BFG big radials. Tore the rear shocks out of the trunk floorpan, and sheared 5 lug studs.

Now that's some serious traction!:cheers:
C

Put a set of Firestones on my '68 Barracuda in '72. First turn I took was like a snake on sandpaper, smooth and quick. Noticed that the car didn't follow the cracks in the road any more. It was great and what a ride! All for $55.00 a tire. Put new shocks on too. Finally replaced them this year.

first radials??????i thought that is ALL they ever made........lololololol j/k

First set was in early 1982 on my 1969 Charger R/T SE. They were 78 series Atlas Silveraire tires. They are still on the car today.

'72 Datsun 510, back in '76/77. Yeah, I was one of the original ricers:violent1:
Put a set of Michelins on aluminum slots. Found out the compound did not hold up very well on gravel roads, but the car was fun to drive.

Well, no. I don't remember my first set of radials, but I DO remember the re-treads coming off of my bias-plys on my 66 Coronet in 1981! I remember being all upset at how a tire could just fall apart like that (it was my first car)... My Dad had to explain to me that they were re-treads... ahh the good ole days!!

Mickey Thompson made fabric belted radials (not steel belted). I put a white lettered set on my 73 Challenger. They stick like glue compaers to the Scat Track bias plys I had on before.

Not exactly going from bias to radial, but a Chrysler tech couldn't believe I was using radials on my Barracuda. He said Chrysler did not recommend radials without a swaybar...makes the car unstable. He would not even go for a ride in the car.

I am debating buy a good used set of bias ply firestone redlines for my 68 barracuda. But most people say not too. I don't think I have ever driven a car with bias ply, but by the sounds of it , it's night and day...

I am debating buy a good used set of bias ply firestone redlines for my 68 barracuda. But most people say not too. I don't think I have ever driven a car with bias ply, but by the sounds of it , it's night and day...

Bias will squeel in a turn before breaking loose which is better than a radial. Bias will follow tar strips in the road which is worse than a radial.

There was a transition from the 55 Fwy to the 91 Fwy that had a diagonal seam that my '64 Dart wagon liked to follow - first set of radials, it ignored the seam - fabulous! No more jerking left/right at that transition

Driving over a grate covered bridge in bias tires was nearly uncontrollable! My first set of radials were BFGs on slotted mags on my 1972 Chevelle. Awesome change for the better!

Yes, I remember having retreads lose the tread on the turnpike. A little scary for a teenager.

My '77 Caprice came with "Factory Spec" Uniroyal radials. Put a set of Goodyear Polysteel white letter radials on Corvette rallye wheels on the car. Took those spec Uniroyals and put them on my '74 Scamp. Improved the ride and handling 1000% over the bias ply's.

-
Back