removed my vinyl top and found this

-

57dodged100

Reaction score
Preparing the '72 scamp for paint. removed the vinyl top knowing there was some rust bubbles under the vinyl. Found this, which I assume is the factory seam between the roof and the rear quarter panel. It had what appears to be 41-year-old plastic filler. Was this factory? Wasn't there a time they used lead to fill this seam? I'm going to paint the top and have a perfect OEM headliner already in place, should I reuse filler or take the trouble to remove the headliner and weld the seam before paint?

photo+1.JPG

photo+2.JPG

Cars equipped with a vinyl top recieved filler. Cars without had that seem filled with lead.

They used plastic filler(bondo) when there would be a vinyl top covering it.Lead filler was used if the roof was painted and had no vinyl top.This was the way the factory did it back in the day.I would shot blast the rust out so it does not come back and then use filler to smooth out the seam.You must take care of the rust by media blasting or using some form of rust eater or the rust will come back.

use a spot blaster and use an epoxy primer on the bare metal,then fill it with filler

I would shot blast the rust out so it does not come back and then use filler to smooth out the seam.You must take care of the rust by media blasting or using some form of rust eater or the rust will come back.

I agree.

P.S. I love the look of the residue. Maybe that's where they got the idea for the "mod top" :D.

Don't use bondo! After treating rust, scuff metal with 36 grit. Get some epoxy resin and mix in micro fiber. Epoxy will not absorb moisture, most body fillers will.

How about refilling it with lead? Since there's no longer any lead being produced in the US, I'm wondering how hard body lead will be to get.

a lot of earlier models had lead either way. i have seen a lot worse than yours....(op)

Yea, get all the rust out for sure. I've fought this battle.
Epoxy is hard to sand but something like that would be the way to go.
Not just plain Bondo.
At least Bondo Glass.

This is why i hate vinyl top cars.
They look great, but there's not much protection underneath them.
Why not use ''All metal'' as a filler after blasting and epoxy priming the seam?

Mfgrs moved away from molten lead for health and safety reasons.
Making plastic filler look right for paint took a lot more time than the lead did.
That's why they pushed vinyl tops. It hides the flaws.

Mfgrs moved away from molten lead for health and safety reasons.
Making plastic filler look right for paint took a lot more time than the lead did.
That's why they pushed vinyl tops. It hides the flaws.

My old 68 charger had lead filler under its original vinyl top which i removed, and then repainted the car leaving the vinyl top and trim off. My old 69 charger R/T when i pulled the vinyl to repaint and revinyl had cracks at the seams, and was plastic filler. So i would assume since both cars had factory vinyl tops the change to plastic filler in the seams probably started in 1969.

I had the same problem with my Darz...
We sandblasted the area, than it was cut and new welded. After this it was tinned.
That will last forever...
b3t0.jpg

Attachments

• allmetal.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 255
-
Back