Removing gas tank on 68 dart

-

dartcarr

Reaction score
This has probably been answered many times but I haven't found it yet . Other than the straps and lower fuel connections, is the filler tube a hassle to remove? Never done a tank removal on this car before. Got new street lynx for the rear and am trying to get answers to the tank removal thanks guys

I never tried it that way, but see no reason it wouldn't work. I like to pull the tube first to get it out of the way. Remove the rubber seal where the tube goes thru the floor and shoot a little silicone spray on the gasket where the tube goes in the tank, twist it a little, it should slide out easy.

I used a big ol piece of 2X6 under the car to force the tank off the filler tube down and right. I didn't have the car high enough to drop tube and tank together.
you might find temper resistant screw heads at the fill door/cap. If you need to remove those, vise grips inside the trunk to back them out a few turns, then you can grab the heads outside.

On my 64, remove the screws that bolt the filler tube to the quarter panel, then remove the ruber gasket that bolts to the floor, then push the filler tube into to tanks an inch or so then drop the tank from below. Once you have lowered the tank a little ways you can remove the filler tube from the tank. Be care not to bend the vent tube on the filler tube.

I never tried it that way, but see no reason it wouldn't work. I like to pull the tube first to get it out of the way. Remove the rubber seal where the tube goes thru the floor and shoot a little silicone spray on the gasket where the tube goes in the tank, twist it a little, it should slide out easy.
Hey thank you 340doc learning the right way makes all the difference

Never had to remove the fill pipe from the car. All that you have to do is take the 5 (or so) screws that hold the pipe's rubber seal to the trunk floor. That gives the pipe enough wiggle room to allow easy removal/replacement of the tank.

Never had to remove the fill pipe from the car. All that you have to do is take the 5 (or so) screws that hold the pipe's rubber seal to the trunk floor. That gives the pipe enough wiggle room to allow easy removal/replacement of the tank.
Wow I really appreciate it , knowing it's not beyond my skill level I still want to do it right and not muck it up, so much appreciate all the feedback! Love this forum! Thanks 69 340 GTS!

Just to add something to all this is, if the tank in your Dart is original keep and use the OEM locking ring that goes onto the tank. The new ones they give you with a new tank are junk and usually bend and twist when mounting the pipe to the tank. they will not lock properly and your tank will have a leak. I went through this when I did my tank, luckily I kept my old tank and used the original twist lock ring and had no leaks. FYI

Just to add something to all this is, if the tank in your Dart is original keep and use the OEM locking ring that goes onto the tank. The new ones they give you with a new tank are junk and usually bend and twist when mounting the pipe to the tank. they will not lock properly and your tank will have a leak. I went through this when I did my tank, luckily I kept my old tank and used the original twist lock ring and had no leaks. FYI[/QUOTE Ok thank you scampman mine is also a 68 GT car when I'm gassing up it'll puke a puddle out on my diff I'm thinking it's the vent maybe it's the filler tube I'll be checking it out for sure , just got the lift in place thanks again !!

Just to add something to all this is, if the tank in your Dart is original keep and use the OEM locking ring that goes onto the tank. The new ones they give you with a new tank are junk and usually bend and twist when mounting the pipe to the tank. they will not lock properly and your tank will have a leak. I went through this when I did my tank, luckily I kept my old tank and used the original twist lock ring and had no leaks. FYI
I agree but don't you mean "when mounting the sending unit to the tank"?

Yeah,copy that on the sending unit, figured that one out as I've been trouble shooting the fuel gauge not working.alls new and working out back except haven't been in the dash yet !

Correction, that is what I meant to say but you still have to be very careful when mounting the pipe into the tank. I used a very very small of grease on my finger and coated the pipe when I inserted the pipe into the tank, it really helped me out a lot when inserted into the tank. Hope I have helped out in some small way.

Correction, that is what I meant to say but you still have to be very careful when mounting the pipe into the tank. I used a very very small of grease on my finger and coated the pipe when I inserted the pipe into the tank, it really helped me out a lot when inserted into the tank. Hope I have helped out in some small way.
10/4, it's much appreciated all you're feedback is very helpful thank you!

Hey thanks a bunch, it's great to have you're feedback something so simple can can have its hiccups if you've never done it before. Thank you !

I love my 68 Dart GT I just wish I could get it done so I can drive and enjoy it. If yours is a 68 let me know if you have any leftover parts, I still need a few odds and ends for mine. Glad I was of some help to you with your gas tank.

Yes i
I love my 68 Dart GT I just wish I could get it done so I can drive and enjoy it. If yours is a 68 let me know if you have any leftover parts, I still need a few odds and ends for mine. Glad I was of some help to you with your gas tank.

Yes I will have some major things : complete rebuilt rear includes : 8 3/4 suregrip 3.55 s strange axels relocated inboard spring seats and the leafs and shocks , soon : the complete front K frame assembly with steering box spindles and set up for wilwood discs all machined to fit wilwood for stock dart all of it with somewhere near 6500 miles on the rebuild . When it's all freed up I'll be posting for sale . All of which is off of my 68 GT Dart

-
Back