Removing K-frame?

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the K-frame, on my 72 Swinger, with everything still attached. I have the upper control arms off. Removed the shocks. Removed the brake lines. I've taken the roll pin out of the steering coupler. And removed the retainer clips, from the rear of the torsion bars and loosened the tension. Is there anything else that needs to be loosened/removed before I take out the 4 K-frame bolts?
Has anyone done this before? Does it drop straight down? Or do I have to pull it forward, as I lower it?
Thanks

Remove the bracket to radiator support. I would pop the T-bars out first. Loosen the LCA pivot bolts and pry the LCA backwards with a crowbar, then knock it forward w/ rubber mallet. A few times and the T-bar should slide out. You likely want to replace your LCA bushings anyway. The pivot bolt has a big nut. I used a metric socket (fit nice) w/ a 3/4" breaker bar in a Harbor Freight kit. I haven't removed the K-frame, but did lower it to paint around the bolts. It should drop straight down.

You need to drop the column and pull it off the box. I've never tried to remove one with the T bars in place, but that seems like an exercise if futility.

If you pull the LCA pivot shaft nuts, you can pry on the LCAs to force the T bars back and get them out.

I used a tool I got from Mancini to whack the torsion bars backward. Just remember to completely undo the bolt to get the tension off. Since you have the UCA separated the upper bumper rubber for the UCA won't matter. I couldn't get my torsion bars back in until I removed those but I had the UCA attached to the spindle.

On the parts car fish I had to cut a torsion bar as the bastid would not go back.

I removed the K-frame in my Dart without removing the t-bars first. Just losened the tension, removed the four bolts holding the k-frame, gave it a few wacks from the rear with a sleadgehammer. The t-bars slided out just fine when the k-frame moved forvard.

If you are reuseing the t-bars it will be a good idea to index them so you can put them back in the exakt same position again.

I'm installing an Alter-K. Not reusing anything. I'm just trying to follow RMS's direction,on dropping it all at once. The engine and tranny are out.

I removed the K-frame in my Dart without removing the t-bars first. Just losened the tension, removed the four bolts holding the k-frame, gave it a few wacks from the rear with a sleadgehammer. The t-bars slided out just fine when the k-frame moved forvard.

If you are reuseing the t-bars it will be a good idea to index them so you can put them back in the exakt same position again.

This is exactly how i do it, and i've done it over a dozen times now.
It took a couple of times of swearing and prying the old fashioned way, then once i had to remove one without removing the torsion bars first, and it slid out with no problems.
I do all of mine this way now.
The big thing to remember is that the steering column and coupler have to be removed first, and the body supported on jack stands, and use a small rolling jack under the k member. Remove the tires and wheels.
Support the engine with a long 4 by 4 on top of the fenders. Unbolt the motor mounts. you might have to lift the engine a bit for the mounts to clear the k member.
Loosen the tension off the torsion bars, remove the front brace, upper control arms, shocks, brake hose and finally the 4 big bolts.
Lower the jack under the k member assembly so there is about 1/8 inch of clearance between it and the frame.
Then you can wiggle the assembly back and forth and it should slide right out of the front. This is easier if you have 2 guys, one on each side.
After the assembly is free of the torsion bars (they usually stay in the car) you can roll it away from the front of the car pulling on the jack.
If you're in the dirt in a junkyard say, use a piece of plywood under the jack so it rolls easier.
I hope this helps.

Dartnut.
So, you're saying I need to take the steering column out? If the pin is out of the coupler, wont the steering box just slide off, as you lower the K-frame and slide it forward?

Dartnut.
So, you're saying I need to take the steering column out? If the pin is out of the coupler, wont the steering box just slide off, as you lower the K-frame and slide it forward?

Nope, there's too much tension on the splines. I'd get the column out of my way anyway.

Take the column and torsion bars out.

The last couple of pics I was installing a empty 4spd. setup to make sure the console was correct for the shifter.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 7.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCF2720[1].jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 44427[1].jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCF1110007[1].jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCF1110008[1].jpg