Removing spark plugs from a body

-

BIG-B-Barracuda

Reaction score
1968 Barracuda with a 440 Magnum off of a Dodge charger 72 or 73'

stock everything. 73' Abody front disc brakes.

SO for the life of me i cannot remove spark plug number 4 from my car- fender well is a quarter of an inch away plus then i have my stock header in place which is also in the way.

any one else ever deal with this?
i imagine everyone with an A body BIG BLOCK.

do i have to remove the engine?
can i remove the fender wells?

help...:blob::prayer:

SO for the life of me i cannot remove spark plug number 4 from my car- fender well is a quarter of an inch away plus then i have my stock header in place which is also in the way.

i imagine everyone with an A body BIG BLOCK.

do i have to remove the engine?
can i remove the fender wells?

what brand and size header do you have? on my 73 dart with a 440 indy EZ heads and TTI 2 inch headers, i used a 5/8 spark plug socket that the end is machined so you can use a wrench. on mine i take out number 2 plug and then number 4 is wide open.i go in from under the header if that makes sense? lol

all stock... i have absolutely no room....

Maybe i am thinking of number 6 then.... the only way to do any of the other ones is to go under the car impossible to do it from top.

I can get the spark plugs out of my 68 Barracuda 340 real easy.... :poke:

A hole saw will do it.... then get a rubber plug for the hole....

On my 71 cuda with the 440 in it, had to use an open end wrench on numbers 4 and i think 2.....

Maybe un olt the motor mount and jack the engine up some?

1968 Barracuda with a 440 Magnum

i imagine everyone with an A body BIG BLOCK

I had a 440/500 in a 68 Dart. I cut a hole in the fender well with a hole saw to get to the plug(s). - My headers were not in the way.

i didnt want to have to cut anything.

i am going to look into removing the fenderwell or lifting engine a bit. <- is this harder?

I do not think the fenderwell is removable. since it is not all original, cutting a hole is no big deal. I do whatever I want to my car

yeah you have a point there.

my car isn't all original but cutting and drilling and that type of stuff... i avoid...

I remove all my plugs from under the car with a combo wrench with the exception of number 1 & 8 which I get from up top with a socket. Found that to be the easiest way.

As stated above, use a wrench. On my son's Dart we just reach under the alternator for 2, 4, and 6.

My 71' Dart with a 440 and 1969 original exhaust manifolds and with Power steering and power brakes was a real nightmare. The last plug back on drivers side was removed from under the car. Using a 3/8 drive spark plug socket that had a 3/4" hex as well as the ratchet hole. I had to unbolt the left front engine mount and jack up the engine. Only then I could side the socket onto the plug and using a 3/4 open end wrench remove the plug.
It was a two hour job to replace the plugs.

I kept the car for 41 years...then gave it to my step-son. It's his problem now!

Plug that close to the sheetmetal,engine might not be sitting right. Look at your mounts. Maybe it has shifted. I got more room than that with indy 440-1 heads and when i had stage 3 max wedge heads. Somethings not right.

couple different lengths of 13/16 wrenches cold engine and a little patients my 75 duster with a 383 and b body headers are sort of a pain.

I have done it with a box end wrench from under the manifold.

Plug that close to the sheetmetal,engine might not be sitting right. Look at your mounts. Maybe it has shifted. .
-- I had a motor plate, on he front of the motor - no shifting. Possibly I screwed up when I positioned it ???

I spent over 2 hours last night removing & installing plugs in my '67 BB Notch... I'm drilling a hole in my fenderwell tonight!!!

I had to drill a hole for mine also, 74 scamp 440. It only hurts a little bit while your thinking. After you do and change them you will be kicking your self for not doing it sooner. Some days I would change the plugs between rounds at the strip when the shadows grew long. Be sure to coat the inside of the boot any body here has there own secret goo. That close to the header likes to cook them.

You might cut a slot out of a good 12 point box end wrench that will slide over the plug ceramic similar to a brake line wrench.

might have to do it from the bottom. i used to have a cut down wrench to get to some of th eplugs in my 440 demon.

-
Back