Removing spark plugs from a body

-
People do not install a 440 in an A-body for ease of maintenance. Surprise ! Things fit tight !
Probably why someone like Norm Krause had to do it after the cars left the factory.

all stock... i have absolutely no room....

Maybe i am thinking of number 6 then.... the only way to do any of the other ones is to go under the car impossible to do it from top.

A hole in the inner fender , cut in the right place , I still have to get underneath to even put the spark plug wire on , (raised port heads, tti headers) , good thing plugs last a long time w/ an MSD and ngk`s !

Reminds me of the Chev v8 monza that had a hole that had to be cut to get to a spark plug. If you dont have to. Cut it, get the best spark plug you can buy to reduce the change interval

Number 7 and a custom crow's:

Plug 7.jpg

Crowfoot.jpg

I'm convinced the TTI 2" were meant for aftermarket heads with 5/8" plugs!

1968 Barracuda with a 440 Magnum off of a Dodge charger 72 or 73'

stock everything. 73' Abody front disc brakes.

SO for the life of me i cannot remove spark plug number 4 from my car- fender well is a quarter of an inch away plus then i have my stock header in place which is also in the way.

any one else ever deal with this?
i imagine everyone with an A body BIG BLOCK.

do i have to remove the engine?
can i remove the fender wells?

help...:blob::prayer:
Drill a round hole 1 1/2 inch in line with the spark plug on the fender well through the other side into the engine compartment then you will be able to retrieve the spark plug .

i didnt want to have to cut anything.

i am going to look into removing the fenderwell or lifting engine a bit. <- is this harder?
The fenderwell is integral part of structure, remove it and there is nothing to support sheetmetal, suspension, grill. Unless you have roll cage bar extended to front frame rail.

The fenderwell is integral part of structure, remove it and there is nothing to support sheetmetal, suspension, grill. Unless you have roll cage bar extended to front frame rail.

dont have that problem with forward J bars , altho thery are too close to the engine , make plug changes even worse, need to redo them-------

2" hole on inner fender for #6, works for headers also
DSC00060.jpg

DSC00415_zps4orl4oyt.jpg
DSC00060.jpg

Last edited:
Even the Schumacher headers are tight on #7. I had to use a thin wall deep well socket, a spark plug socket wouldn't fit the plug.

FWIW, they both are a PITA. A 6-point plug socket wouldn't go on for me out on a bench. Consider shortening up a 12-point thin wall socket to get past the steering.

1669421646918.png

1669421917284.png

Even with FW's #7 has issues with steering. While waiting for the 90° boots (I was supposed to get with wires), I tried on a straight. I could hardly get it on with that heavy boot and the clearance.......
1669423859133.png

My "arsenal" for plug changes include a short S-K plug socket............

1669424931370.png

I just change my plugs from underneath the car. I can do all 8 in less that a 1/2 hour - and that is taking my time. I have fenderwell headers - maybe that makes it easier than some of the other combos?

Yes... it makes it VERY much easier!

They're great as long as you don't mind cutting up the fenderwells, and having the tubes hit the ground, body and tires ;)

Yes... it makes it VERY much easier!

They're great as long as you don't mind cutting up the fenderwells, and having the tubes hit the ground, body and tires ;)
I dont have any issues with the fendrwell headers hitting the ground or body. I have thick torsion bars and have them cranked up a decent amount. There are certain suspension travel situations where i can see that the tire rubbed on one tube, but i never actually feel it in the steering, so it must be minor. (I have manual steering)

#4 comes out fairly easy on mine, #6 is tough, it's perfectly inclined with my steering column so a socket doesn't work, and my headers cover it from above. I can get to it from underneath somewhat easy, if I take the starter out, it's super easy to get to it.

You can almost see it in the pic.

FB_IMG_1653174422927.jpg

#6 is on the passenger side... which one did you mean, #5? :)

Hahaha, it was an early morning (or a late night?) Yeah, number 5, my post is now irrelevant since I'm on the wrong side of the engine. :rofl:

Edit: That's really the only plug I have trouble with, so my head went right to that one. The passenger side plugs are all fairly easy, I just reach under the header from the front and remove them.

FB_IMG_1628426705398.jpg

Last edited:
Me… 68 Cuda with 440 and Doug’s headers.
I use the Craftsman equivalent of these style sockets.

A6CD8A10-DFFA-4239-9CA2-A5DC5CD2BC16.png

-
Back