Repairing pitting in cuda hood inserts

-
I would like to do the Duster candy orange over chrome With all the factory black stripes in flat vinyl. How about a chrome sharks tooth grille.

Attachments

• DSCN1276.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 358
Muggyweld looks pretty cool. Don't think I would have the skills to try to fix cuda insert pitting with it. I wonder if it would be strong enough to fix a broken mounting stud on the inserts?

Laysons responded to my email request asking about insert production (see below). Per the infamous line by Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber "there is a chance!".

No hood inserts yet but we do have the gaskets available at this time. I apologize but I don't have an ETA in the insert itself.

Jen

Jen Linenko
Layson's Restorations Inc.
(877) 930-4088 order/info line 7:30am to 4pm Pacific time zone

Do you have any plans on reproducing the Formula S hood inserts for the 68 Barracuda? Thanks, Scott

Alluminum inserts would work but I dont have the skills to make them.

Muggyweld looks pretty cool. Don't think I would have the skills to try to fix cuda insert pitting with it. I wonder if it would be strong enough to fix a broken mounting stud on the inserts?

When I was Checking it out it looks like it would be strong enough to fix broken studs no problem. I'm thinking that it may save me a small fortune on grille surround repair on my 68 barracuda.

I received a response back from Mr Gee from P & G Classics who said he would reproduce the 340s inserts if he could get a sample to copy. I sent him a reply and asked him how long it would be to production and if any harm would occur to the sample, etc. Stay tuned.....

I have a pair of 67 samples he can have in return for a free new pair.

I have a pair of 67 samples he can have in return for a free new pair.

I think that could be in the cards. I told him I would do some inquiries on the mopar forums. Will get back to you when he responds to my last batch of questions.

See below for my emails with Mr. Gee with PG Classics. In a nutshell:

-He says in 6 to 10 months he can get a repop made if he receives an original to develop a template, measurements, etc.

- He indicates that you would get a free repop if he used your original.

-The originals do not have to be perfect (pitting, at least some is not an issue)

- You would not get the original back.

- He did not answer my question whether they would repop all 4 versions of the 67-68 inserts.

I am just passing this info in case anybody on the forum wants to follow up with Mr Gee. My standard inserts on my 68 are in really good shape, so I would not want to lose those to him in an attempt to maintain the species. If I could pick up some imperfect 340s inserts for a reasonable cost, I would give it a try though. I do not have any first hand experience with PG parts, so cannot provide a recommendation either way. Some forum members seem pleased with their products, others not so much....

Hi Scott no problem with pits on them. we just need the template to developing them.

Thank You !

Jordan Gee - Assistant Manager | Business Development
PG Classic Restoration Parts | www.pgclassic.com
10305 Route 144 | Saint-Andre | New Brunswick| E3Y 3H7 | Canada
T. (506) 473-5855 | F. (506) 475-9870 | E. [email protected]

-----Original Message----- From: Scott
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:56 AM
To: pgclassic
Subject: Re: 68 Barracuda Inserts

Ok, I wanted to still get clarification on one of my questions: I understand that you would not fix the sample. What I was asking is if the sample is not 100% perfect, such as having a few small pits in the pot metal, would it still work for you as far as a template for developing a reproduction? Here is a photo of a set that has some pits for an example:

Another question I have is that Plymouth made 4 different hood inserts for the 1967 and 1968 Barracudas. They all were the same size, just different surface lettering or design. Is PG interested in developing all 4 models if samples were made available.

Thx. Scott

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 26, 2013, at 7:33 AM, "pgclassic" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Scott the simple will not be return. and will don't do the fix on the item. the reproduction time takes about 6-10 month.

Thank You !

Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:08 PM
To: pgclassic
Subject: Re: 68 Barracuda Inserts

Mr. Gee. Thank you for responding so quickly. I have been trying to purchase a used set but so far have been unsuccessful. I will inquire on some of the car forums that I frequent to see if someone might have a set. A couple of questions:

Would you have to harm or destroy the sample? Would you send it back afterwards?

If the sample was a little less than perfect, for example has some pitting which is pretty common in these old pot metal inserts, would you still be able to work with it?

What kind of production time are we talking about?

Thanks, Scott

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 23, 2013, at 3:57 PM, "pgclassic" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Scott we can reproduce but we have to fine a simple. if you had a old set send to us we will reproduce and will send you a new set for free.

Thank You !

Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 68 Barracuda Inserts

Just curious if you have any plans to reproduce formula s hood inserts for the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda (340-s). Thanks, Scott

Sent from my iPad[/I][/I][/I]

See below for my emails with Mr. Gee with PG Classics. In a nutshell:

-He says in 6 to 10 months he can get a repop made if he receives an original to develop a template, measurements, etc.

- He indicates that you would get a free repop if he used your original.

-The originals do not have to be perfect (pitting, at least some is not an issue)

- You would not get the original back.

- He did not answer my question whether they would repop all 4 versions of the 67-68 inserts.

I am just passing this info in case anybody on the forum wants to follow up with Mr Gee. My standard inserts on my 68 are in really good shape, so I would not want to lose those to him in an attempt to maintain the species. If I could pick up some imperfect 340s inserts for a reasonable cost, I would give it a try though. I do not have any first hand experience with PG parts, so cannot provide a recommendation either way. Some forum members seem pleased with their products, others not so much....

IMHO, that is sort of cr@ppy deal when you don't get your original back and all you get in return is ONE new repop version.

To me that just sets them up to use cruddy quality originals to make repro parts from instead of good parts.

Why would you give them a nice original and all you get in return is ONE new repop. And what happens if PG Classic's aborts the project midway? Can you get your original back. What if it's already be destroyed to start making the molds, there's nothing to send back.

PG should suck it up and buy the part they want to reproduce and avoid the drama, red tape, and hassles.

IMHO, that is sort of cr@ppy deal when you don't get your original back and all you get in return is ONE new repop version.

To me that just sets them up to use cruddy quality originals to make repro parts from instead of good parts.

Why would you give them a nice original and all you get in return is ONE new repop. And what happens if PG Classic's aborts the project midway? Can you get your original back. What if it's already be destroyed to start making the molds, there's nothing to send back.

PG should suck it up and buy the part they want to reproduce and avoid the drama, red tape, and hassles.

I had some of the same thoughts, wondering how he acquired originals for all their other product line. I am not sure of their process - do they use some of the new 3D printer technology where they scan it and make a computer based mold where minor imperfections can be removed with software?

Seems like the profit in these could be questionable when you think about the limited market.

Agree, 3D printing. Literally build up the part in hundreds of layers. You are not goung to cast something in stainless, its castable zinc or potmetal zinc alloy. The man with the perfect restored set should get with a mold maker and get his pressed into a mold. Then you could repop them for a cut of the loot. Cast them in a UV polymer and vacuum deposition plate them, UV clearcoat them and garage it or cover it. You can 3D print a basketball, hollow and all.

When they repair a mold, they generally hand smooth/correct/fill the soft impression before they pour the final master, then they use the repaired master as the template. There is no process that will destroy a master if you are not casting with abrasive media, sand or otherwise. Why they would not give you back the model is maybe becasue they would fix that and use that as the master, not the best way in my opinion. Story: There is a repop place in Washington.....that "lost" a NOS lens from a mopar guy that never got it back, soon after that there was a perfect repop of the lost lens on the market. Just passing on a little story I heard......

I would like to do the Duster candy orange over chrome With all the factory black stripes in flat vinyl. How about a chrome sharks tooth grille.
that is awesome , I'm thinking a turbine bronze tint to the clear with maybe a smokey black layer on top of it for my car next repaint .

Thx ermarccio, I assume not much pitting by your description. I think I will pass on bidding on the set I have in the photos and wait for a better core to come along. I would like to see a picture of your car and inserts when they get back, sounds like you are doing a top shelf restoration.

Here are the inserts re-chromed by Paul's in PA. They're off to American Muscle Car Restorations (http://www.amcri1.com/#&panel1-4) to be painted soon. They have the dashboard as well.

View attachment IMG_3654a.jpg

View attachment IMG_3659a.jpg

View attachment IMG_3656a.jpg

Very Nice!! As good as they look all shiny I almost think you should leave them alone and not paint.

Iversons Automotive will do your originals back to perfect condition, but it won't be cheap! If you saw some of the absolute crap he has redone, you would think he replaced them with perfect NOS pieces!! That guy is amazing!! Geof

I received a followup email from Laysons. Apparently they do not have any plans to reproduce the 68 hood inserts. Their earlier email has stated they just did not have an eta on the production, but this new email seems to spell out a "no" more succinctly:

[SIZE=-1]Message: 24176 - Posted: 01/02 - Posted By: Jen Linenko
You assume correctly. I don't know of any one reproducing those as of yet. Good luck on your search and let me know if you have any further questions.
Jen

Jen Linenko
Layson's Restorations Inc.
(877) 930-4088 order/info line 7:30am to 4pm Pacific time zone

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Message: 24173 - Posted: 12/23 - Posted By: Scott
Thank you Jen. I assume this means that hood insert production is not a sure thing yet.

[/SIZE]

Iversons Automotive will do your originals back to perfect condition, but it won't be cheap! If you saw some of the absolute crap he has redone, you would think he replaced them with perfect NOS pieces!! That guy is amazing!! Geof

Thanks, I checked his website out and he has a Mopar magazine article link that show some of his pot metal work where he drills out the pits and fills them with silver solder, levels out, and then chromes. Looks good as new. Yes, I bet that is costly.

The aftermarket must follow the market to be profitable. This means they would repop the most desired parts first. I'm guessing the 67 inserts would be first off. Those have the most fins / most water retention / most pitting. Sales of those should fund development of others years and types but that's not always where the funds are appropriated. Thus reproduction of S callout types might never happen.

All painted up. Instrument Specialties (aka American Muscle Car Restorations) did a great job as usual.

Attachments

• IMG_4150a.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 181
Here's a pic of the pair that are on Nellas car! Nicest original pair ive ever seen!Here's the way I got them....

Saw them on a hood at the Nats in the swap area! Guy wanted to sell the whole hood, which was just as clean, for $200! Everybody wanted just the inserts and was lowballing him, pissing him off because he knew if he sold them he would be stuck with the hood!! I asked him what his bottom dollar was on the hood...$125! SOLD!! Gave the hood to my buddy to replace his crusty one and kept the inserts!!

They are still out there, you just have to be patient and strike immedietly when they come around! Most people simply passed on this deal because they couldn't deal with the hood at a show, and didnt see the forest through the trees! I simply met his price and carried it away!! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 177
-
Back