Replacing Head Core Plug

-

Austin Schlegel

Reaction score
Hi,

The core plug in the back of my passenger side cylinder head has popped out. It was one of those rubber plugs that you can expand with a wrench. I would like to replace it with the proper brass plug.

The engine is a 1974 Dart sport 360. I am struggling to find the correct plug size. Does anyone know the rear plug size for this head? Also any ideas how I can press that plug in without removing the engine or head?

Thanks

You need to use the correct tool to press them in.

I assume you have tried several sizes so far. Is it possible that the original plus rotted away but left the outer ring ( the part that contacts the head) behind?

That would explain an oddball size.

If there are any threaded holes on the end of the cyl head you might be able to put some studs in them and make a press of sorts

You can also get mechanically retained plugs which use a "T" retainer (toggle bolt) similar to a block heater, although there might not be room in a head. You are not going to get a pressed plug in the rear of a head "in the car"

These are not the kind I was thinking of, but they work like this--with a toggle bolt

FREEZE PLUG, SIDE W/BAR, BILLET ALUMINUM

I would just go with a rubber expanding one until you can get the engine out. Put them in DRY and CLEAN, no sealer, which can act as a lubricant and "slime" it back outta there

Ouch! Does the engine need anything else that you know of?

I REMOVED THE THROTTLE BRACKET & DRILLED HOLE IN FIREWALL WITH HOLESAW @ INSTALLED FROM INSIDE THE CAR BRACKET COVERED THE HOLE

I REMOVED THE THROTTLE BRACKET & DRILLED HOLE IN FIREWALL WITH HOLESAW @ INSTALLED FROM INSIDE THE CAR BRACKET COVERED THE HOLE
First time I seen that trick was on a new 88 F150. The feast plug was leaking. I’m pretty sure the guy pulled the carpet down and out of the way. He changed it from the inside in about an hour. Kim

I think the heater suitcase is in the way to cut a hole in the firewall. I've made a bolt-on press for a big block head, but, never had the need for one on a small block yet. Any engine or head I've had out of the vehicle always got brass ones from the get-go. If it were me, I'd just put another expandable one back in. Who knows, you may have to pull the head or the engine for some other reason in the near future. They used to make brass or copper ones too, but, if they're not available anymore, just change that rubber plug every year or two.

I think the heater suitcase is in the way to cut a hole in the firewall. I've made a bolt-on press for a big block head, but, never had the need for one on a small block yet. Any engine or head I've had out of the vehicle always got brass ones from the get-go. If it were me, I'd just put another expandable one back in. Who knows, you may have to pull the head or the engine for some other reason in the near future. They used to make brass or copper ones too, but, if they're not available anymore, just change that rubber plug every year or two.

I Wonder why he's having to do it again ?
I have to warranty my work, and pay towing .

-
Back