Replacing my points distributor

-

71duster06

Reaction score
Good evening all,
My 71 340 has an older points style distributor but with the Mallory electronic module. It has worked well but the bushings are getting tired and it needs to be rebuilt. Would I see any improvements in engine operation by upgrading to the mopar electronic setup? It seems to be a simple upgrade but wonder if it's worth it. If you could let me know I would appreciate it.

I'll be honest with you. I also ran a dual point forever and never had a problem with it. Always rangood started good. But I decided it was time to join the 21st century and go electronic. I can't say it runs any better or harder cuz I had the points unit set up perfectly but I did notice it started better and when moving in and out of the garage repeatedly I didn't foul plugs as much, Best I can say is ..... ya gotta someday ....LOL:banghead:

i have converted 3-4 over to electronic. one from a computer. its not hard. just be careful to remember chrysler used two control boxs. one with 5 pins and one with 4 pins. the most important thing is that the 5 pin box must have the 4 ballast resistor. that is the first type. the 4 box uses the 2 pin ballast resistor. lots of diagrams out there. it is a very easy to use and hold up well.

I am guessing the Mallory box was a "points-triggered" type, like the Delta CD box on my 1965 Newport when I bought it (long gone). Unless you really want to stay Mopar, an HEI ignition is cheaper, simpler to wire and a better spark, plus parts are easy. Simplest is the new "ready-to-run distributor" ($45 ebay). Another is a Mopar e-distributor an external HEI module (many posts here). The new Pertronix Ignitor III is good, but sounds like your points distributor can't be leveraged for that.

I am guessing the Mallory box was a "points-triggered" type, like the Delta CD box on my 1965 Newport when I bought it (long gone). Unless you really want to stay Mopar, an HEI ignition is cheaper, simpler to wire and a better spark, plus parts are easy. Simplest is the new "ready-to-run distributor" ($45 ebay). Another is a Mopar e-distributor an external HEI module (many posts here). The new Pertronix Ignitor III is good, but sounds like your points distributor can't be leveraged for that.

Good points Bill.

Could get a reman distributor AND the HEI for less than 200.
Then he would notice a difference.:D

In all honesty, I think your best bet is an "All in one" unless you just want to spend more than you need to. :)
Those 45 dollar "All in one" units seem to have a pretty good reputation from what I have seen, and even if you bought new wires to go with it, and the HEI or standard coil either one it still comes out as a pretty good deal for what you would get out of it.

I would try to lean towards the HEI since it would be so close to the same cost in the end. Then there would be a noticable difference how it ran and started. (Huge difference between points and HEI)

One last point.
The original style electronic is more complicated and expensive than either of the other choices.

There's a lot to be said about R2R distributors. Cleaner, simpler, more reliable. A number of Ramcharger and truck guys that I know run them and love them.

Seriously considering one for the Barracuda when the time comes.

[QUOTE=Those 45 dollar "All in one" units seem to have a pretty good reputation from what I have seen, and even if you bought new wires to go with it, and the HEI or standard coil either one it still comes out as a pretty good deal for what you would get out of it.

yep, installed a 45 dollar unit that runs a gm module hei about three years ago......haven't had any problems. u also eliminate the ballast resistor, have hotter spark, so u can open your spark plug gap to .045.

runs like a champ............
higgs

Buy a Mopar performance one, new or used, it has an adjustable vacuum advance.
Add a hei to it, there is a hidden bracket that hides the hei module under the distributor, change the coil to a non-resistor one and jump the ballast resistor.
No wire cutting or splicing required.
This will run you about $100.

design to drive has the bracket it will run you about $25.00

If you have a lot of cash MSD makes a super nice distributor that is fully self contained, has a rev limiter and dials inside the distributor to adjust your advance curve to YOUR engine but it is $350

Chinese $45.00 distributor, you get what you pay for, have not run one, and never will.

If you have a lot of cash MSD makes a super nice distributor that is fully self contained, has a rev limiter and dials inside the distributor to adjust your advance curve to YOUR engine but it is $350

Not that bad considering what it does. No ignition controller box to buy.

Not that bad considering what it does. No ignition controller box to buy.

I have been thinking about buying one real hard for one of my Mopars.

I ordered a Pentronix GM HEI 4-pin back in November with the rev control.

Have not got it yet, but going to put in my vette with a roots supercharger.
I have a bad habit of going way past the rev limit on all my cars.

I'm not too familiar with the HEI options. Can anyone post some links that I can look at on what all I would need to purchase?

Thanks for the recommendations!

The HEI setup game me issues due to the generic ignition module, Shivvy setup. I liked the Mopar conversion due to the simplicity, plus I like the option to be able to upgrade the module for higher RPM ratings. It is the cheaper, reliable way to go. Now days with google and youtube, you can easily go to the local junk yard, cut out the wiring pigtail and module and make your own kit.

I have the stand alone Mopar electronic ignition harness listed in Mechanical Parts For sale. $25 plus the ride. Can put together a whole package of OEM parts around that if you want. PM me.

I have been thinking about buying one real hard for one of my Mopars.

So easy to do when there is power available. My thinking is inclusion of a rev limiter is a no brainer.

I'm not too familiar with the HEI options. Can anyone post some links that I can look at on what all I would need to purchase?

Thanks for the recommendations!

We have an HEI conversion kit website here www.classichei.com
Includes exactly eveything needed for an HEI conversion minus the plug wires.
There are members here running these right now including myself.

There are also the "All in one" units we mentioned that still require the purchase of a compatible coil. (This option replaces the distributor which you need) and is right at 100 or so for everything but plug wires. (8mm recomended for HEI)

There is as mentioned lots of Youtube.com videos on how to build an HEI ignition system but you still need to change distributors. (distrib and about 30 bucks at the wrecking yard)
Also requires assembly of the wiring and fab for a heatink to cool the ECU.
(Info also on Youtube.com)

There is also the option of getting another points distributor and using the Pertronics Ignitor III conversion with adjustable internal rev limiter (need a compatible coil also, so about 250 on that) plug wires also not included.

That pretty much covers the HEI options that are decent.

well my liege.........it just so happens that i replaced a pertronix unit w/my $45.00 distributor....i had less than a 1000 miles on the unit. i got tired of it stranding me everywhere. the module would get hot and then go out, so good luck with that.

the car is just for fun, mostly street car w/a blast down the strip every now and then, so i can't warrant a 350 dollar msd race set up for that.

i've also ran mopar conversion setup and had both the module and the pickup sensor go out.

so far i'm totally satisfied w/my distributor..........seems like a good option, just trying to help a guy out.........
higgs

HAHA ! Does anyone ?

I may be! I am in the process of getting a distributor ready for my 71 Charger R/T. The factory distributor is the aluminum housing single point, with the electronic retard vacuum advance unit. I went through and cleaned up, lubed the complete unit, installed a new NOS vacuum unit, and converted it to a pertronix electronic module. After no luck wondering/deciding what to do with the advance weights and springs, ive decided to send it to Advance distributors, and let them tune it up. They have gone through a couple so far for me. They have explained to me, points will usually out perform the pertronix units, "IF" the distributor is in good shape and set up correctly.They will go through the distributor and compare the performance of points vs electronic, and we will decide what to do from there.

It's not always about tip top performance, as some would rather run and run and run without having to mess with or replace ignition parts.

It would be interesting to see the difference though.

back in the 80's and 90's, I built a loyt of mopars, some kept the points, many I changed to the mopar ecu s etup. then I got down to just an occasional car build.

I read in mopar action a while back, the mopar dist was subed ( I forget the dat. 2000?) out to someone and then had a lot of spark shatter and problems. I never had a problem with the ECU if mounted away from engine heat. my question is are the ECU you buy now typical chinees junk??? are the present generation convinced point systems are junk???? o do mopar people now think chevy parts on their cars is cool??? not trying to insult anyone, but just wondering.....
my old cars are slants and 273 drivers, no racers. I judt want to build them trouble free and affordable.

back in the 80's and 90's, I built a loyt of mopars, some kept the points, many I changed to the mopar ecu s etup. then I got down to just an occasional car build.

I read in mopar action a while back, the mopar dist was subed ( I forget the dat. 2000?) out to someone and then had a lot of spark shatter and problems. I never had a problem with the ECU if mounted away from engine heat. my question is are the ECU you buy now typical chinees junk??? are the present generation convinced point systems are junk???? o do mopar people now think chevy parts on their cars is cool??? not trying to insult anyone, but just wondering.....
my old cars are slants and 273 drivers, no racers. I judt want to build them trouble free and affordable.

trouble free and affordable...........those are key words........

the gm module is what the dist. came with.......and is mounted right to the distributor.
i'm not partial to gm parts or there cars by any means......but so far it does the job trouble free, and was very affordable for a brand new part.
higgs

-
Back