Replacing sealed beams with conversions

-
I'll stick with my Halogen Nighthawk 6024NH's.. no way am I dropping 600 on a pair of headlights for one of these cars to cruise.

Even just "everyday" quality H beams WITH IMPROVED WIRING is about 10000000000000 times better than the original "stuff"

They better be worth a damn at almost 600 bucks for the pair.
Amazon.com: GE 69821 Nighthawk 7" Round LED Headlamp: Automotive

YAAACCKK!! Geez...That's, uhmm, stupid expensive, but wait for it....
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/JW-SPEAKER-JWS-M8700-EV-Evolution-Headlight/dp/B00GMRM3KA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1B7CFGERPQ6FVABFGWV3"]Amazon.com: JW SPEAKER JWS-M8700-EV - JW Speaker Model 8700 Evolution Black- 7" Round LED Headlight: Automotive[/ame]

The way his kits are, they take the load off the headlight switch by using relays. The headlight switch was never designed to handle high amp loads that come about when doing the H4 conversion. The hot from the headlight switch is then used as a trigger for the relay and the fuse is for the high load side. I have used one of Dan's kits personally in the past so I have first hand experience. The kits are 100% plug and play and he chooses the best possible components so that there's no guesswork.
Thank you, but I have doing this since the mid 90's. What I was after is the thinking below.

snip....

I use fuses in the kits for two reason. Fuses are easy for people to understand. I can also provide a level of redundancy that is inexpensive compared to placing a pair of circuit breakers in the system. If you don't have a level of redundancy in your system, when the breaker trips, you go DARK! Even flipping to the high beam won't work because the breaker needs to cool. My way, you flip to high beam, at least have some light unless there is a serious short in BOTH circuits.

What type of breaker are you going to use and at what cost? Type 1, type 2, type 3?

Type 1 must cool, still dead unless you run two, one for each circuit.
Type 2, need to kill power to the breaker for it to reset, not an easy task without additional wiring solutions
Type 3, need to get to it and manually reset. Not convenient in most cases.
Both times that I've had the OE HL thermal breaker pop the sealed beam lights were back before switching to the other beams registered as an option. On my own relay systems I use what you're referring to as Type 1. It is a rare situation where it's both convenient and safe to work on the HL circuit when they have a problem. I'd rather be able to limp to someplace safe and I figure that "blinking" HL's are better than none at all.

I've read on an off road forum of guys pulling their LED headlights due to poor performance. I think that this has been limited to the Trucklite offering, but I can't be sure of it.

Even if the H4s are run using stock wattage, 55/60 IIRC, the fuse issue is the relay system. Drawing power off the alternator (or battery) means no protection for the the relatively high current wires. I don't recall Dan ever writing not to use a circuit breaker. I was going to use a pair I bought from Waytek wire, but then decided I liked the marine type fuse holders better so went that route.

Stock wiring. To add content to the 'junk' comments. The stock wiring is the absolute minimum for carrying the current. IIRC its 16 ga. from the dimmer switch to the headlight. That, and then any connection that is less than ideal and there is enough resistance to either melt something or trip the breaker inside the headlight switch. I've had both happen with just the standard headlights.

Hella H4s have a bigger difference in the hights of the low beam and high beam than the Cibie's. The Hella's with DOT marks are not quite as pronounced IMO. I've used all three at standard wattage and they are all pretty darn good, especially compared to plain ole sealed beams. They also pretty much eliminate the need for foglights unless your in a place that's really really soupy. Funny part is that Scott Harvey tried tell us this back in the 60s in an article he wrote about rallying.

Yeesh...those look really weird and sketchy. I would much rather have the look of a stock sealed beam but with a nice, bright and white light. The JW's just look like a heat score.

I do not trust circuit breakers. having used them in car audio applications, I have personally witnessed them melting and/or catching on fire under consistent and reasonable draw. I will be fusing the wiring for safety. And of course keep a few around as spares.

To follow up on my post.

You can get a atc fuse style type 1 circuit breaker if you really want a breaker instead of a fuse. Plugs into a fuse holder just like your normal fuses.

In car audio, I'm assuming that the breakers were for amps, you have repetitive high in-rush currents. So I'm thinking two things, the breakers in question were not quality parts, and with those high in-rush currents they were misapplied. Fusible links or slow-blow fuses are the better choice in that type of application. They'll take those in-rush currents w/o popping and still protect the circuit.

Clearly having the beams on separate circuit protection, of what ever type is preferred, is a good call as that allows switching to the other beam if there is a problem. Something that, IME, the OE's don't do.

The Hella vs. Cibie' vs. Bosch vs. various mfg debate is a whole separate thread. I will say that most of what I own is Hella and that isn't by choice.

-
Back