Resizing stock rods? Bad idea?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

I remember a thread on here about it being inadvisable to reuse the stock rods? I've had good luck resizing and using ARP bolts with other brands, but I was curious if there was something special about Mopar small blocks that made it a bad idea?

I'm asking because of a half remembered thread where someone's stroker came apart and I haven't had my coffee yet, so bear with me. LOL

I am aware that a set of Eagle rods is not much more money at all than it would be for the resize/arp deal, I have my reasons for asking..

Thanks for any insight/experience!

Steve

Stock 340/360 rods when resized properly w/arp bolts, 'and that have not been resized to death' [numerous times] are just fine.
I've buzzed stock 1970 340 rods well over 7000rpm and have a good friend who used to run them in his circle track car in the late 80's early 90's w/sps bolts whippin up to 8000 rpm and even touching 9k!!!

I hear bad things and have seen plenty of damage caused by eagle i beams.
around here it is $9 + bolts to resize

What about 318 rods?

I can't imagine it would ever see over 6000 RPMs.

same applies.

A friend was talking about doing a stock appearing/stockish cam'd 360/408 using the lil floating pin 318 rods since it would never see over 4500-5000rpm
short lil hypers, dinky lil rods, cast crank...
poor mans lite weight rotating assembly.lol

I run them in 360s and 4" stroke engines so long as they are staying under 5500.

The biggest concern is finding a machine that knows what their doing.

The biggest concern is finding a machine that knows what their doing.

True that!

There are some really good shops for other brands around here.

Hughes Engines isn't far away either. Hopefully they'd know how to do it.

Steve

For what it'll cost to have them resized and ARP bolts installed you can buy a new set of the eagles which come with the ARP bolts for less...i'm running a set in my 30 over 360 with no issues what soever,i also ran a set in my 416 but took them way beyond they're limit and paid the price..500 h.p. max.

IF.....you want to buy new rods take a look at the Scat 4340 I beams...

a few dollar more then the Eagle 5140 I beam rods..

I have a 390, with stock 318 floating rods, before the 390, they ran a couple summers, (30K about) in a 318 with "heavy POS" TRW pistons, spinning at least 6500 twice a day, LOL, and before that, 200K in a 70 dodge work truck, so, as it stands, the rods have about 280K on them, I got them resized when I built the 390, and they said they "rrreeeaaallllyyyy ddddiiiddddddnt neeeeeeed it, but if you want us tooooooo"... I think they are the #062 rods. The ross pistons in my stroker are 586 g. About the same weight as the stock cast piston, granted, it doesn't go past 5500, and really over 4500, but the point I am making, is in the real live world, if you have a set of good old rods, in good shape, they more than likely are a better bet than a NEW set of untried rods, even if they are supposed to be better. God knows how I feel about new stuff, crane iron rockers breaking, my KBstroker piston seperating at the oil ring groove.... ugh....

So, IMO, spend the rod money on good pistons, LOL. (Did I say this a couple days ago??)
And if I was to use the "do as I say, not as I do" theory, I think Moper and wildnnutsguy are right on the money, 5500rpm? Nooo Prob.

Steve @ Dewar Machine did mine. With new bolts they were perfect. toolman

engine 074.jpg

engine 079.jpg

engine 011.jpg

If you buy new rods don't assume they don't need to be checked/resized or have the pin to bushings sized properly. It makes rebuilding the stock rods the cheapest option still.

stock 340/360 rods when resized properly w/arp bolts, 'and that have not been resized to death' [numerous times] are just fine.
I've buzzed stock 1970 340 rods well over 7000rpm and have a good friend who used to run them in his circle track car in the late 80's early 90's w/sps bolts whippin up to 8000 rpm and even touching 9k!!!
right on i'll x that by 2

If you buy new rods don't assume they don't need to be checked/resized or have the pin to bushings sized properly. It makes rebuilding the stock rods the cheapest option still.

Yup. Cycle the new rods at least 3 times, then check the big end for size.

-
Back