Resto progress

-
Now - I have a question - I have been told that the lockstrip from a dodge pickup will work in the bottom of my windsheild gasket on a 67(see pic # 5) has anyone tried this with success - if so did you glue it in and were there any special modifications I would have to make?? and what year truck?? Thanks in advance for any help guys.
See ya - Bill

The stainless on the front windshield can be found off of Darts also. You can use the trim off many cars or trucks up to 76 but you have to trim it to fit the windshield of the 67. The place where you cut will be covered up with the other piece of trim.

I have 67 cuda fastback with the awful push in trim. Luckily I found all the front and rear stainless trim (i fill lucky about finding the rear) for a 68 for $150. So I will switch it out sooner or later but it feels good to have the trim in hand. I just don't like the push in stuff for the 67. First of off the push in trim that I have on my car is not the correct stuff anyways that Plymouth used. In 67 they use stainless corners, and a stainless pieces in middle of the windshield. And it is the same deal for the rear glass. I have not been able to find these stainless corners, and middle pieces but was not trying really, really hard to find them.

Friend and I was talking about why they used the push in trim on 67 cudas and not on the 68,69. He said "Well in 67 that was a new car all together proto type if you will, so Plymouth wanted to see how the sales would go first." It must have went pretty well, roll knob radio,stainless trim, the bottom part of the dash got a pad, side markers, came on the 68 and then the 69.

Edit (I just realized that you have the gasket for the push type) You can find the correct push trim for it on The Paddock. But like mentioned above you'll need the stainless corners for it to look neat. You would have been better off installing clips, 68,69 gasket, and finding the stainless front windshield trim. I have went to war with the push in type trim and finally used GM truck plastic trim.

Bill,
My 1990 Dodge Power Ram has a lockstrip that goes all the way around the windshield. The SOB is LONG! It simply pushes into the gasket and spreads out the load, locking the glass in the truck. The 2 cut ends butt together, and an aluminum cover slips over the seam to hide it.
I dunno how a 67 Cuda gasket is set up having never seen one up close, but if all you will need is enough to go across the bottom of the glass, you can find this simulated chrome lockstrip on eBay. How it will connect to the rest of the trim around the glass I don't know, like I said, I've never seen one up close & personal.
Hope this helps.
BTW, the car looks GREAT!

George

Hello all - and Happy New Year I wanted to take a minuite and share the Pictures of my car I sent to the DMV here in Pa for my Antique Tag. Let me take a second to thank all you guys and gals out there who helped me to this point - I am very thankful to have found FABO and all the helpful members you have saved me countless hours of research and wasted time by answering my many questions. I still have some trim Items to post here but I wont get to that till it gets warmer in the garage again - so for now Happy New Year and Thanks Alot!
Bill

REG1.jpg

REG2.jpg

REG3.jpg

REG4.jpg

Sure looks good. Mine has the same interior color. I think the carpet I have is too bright. Do you know the correct carpet color for it ?
One the outside I plan on a off white matching a vynil convertible top. The vynil may not last as long as canvas but its sure pretty when new.
Here's a magic trick I figured out for those little chrome strips on the rear panels...
To remove them and have them vacuum plated is concours but it still wont exactly match the stainless on the doors , so, take a donor stanless strip from either door and modify it until it will skin right over the top of the plastic one. One door piece will make both those rears with a little left over. I cut a tiny slot in the plastic panel so the back end of the stainless can run wild in length and not leave clothes catching ends.
You seat backs have my mind confuzzled. I have one extra in that original red that looks like brand new. I dont know if I would ever need it and wondering how just one would help you.
Keep up the good work :)
One more thing... about that piece of stainless they left off the bottom of our windshields, just get the piece of stainless from any A-body and put it on there. It will marry the A pillar trim ends and look like factory :)
You will need a short run of the round rubber lock cord and a couple of trim clips installed on the bottom fence

Bill,

I just came across your thread. Outstanding work and car!!! I love that you kept the 273, my fist car (64 Dart GT, coupe, 4 spd) had the 273, but not the 235 HP Commando version, they didn't start till 65. I think? Anyway, hope to bump into you at carlisle this year . . . if I can get there . . . haven't been able to in many years.

Happy New Year!

Joe Mc

Wild Bill! I was waitin for an update!
Car looks AWESOME as always. We gotta see this at Carlisle in 09.
NICE job on it Bill. Really.

George

So, ya gonna come around the states and let us all take it for a test drive? You have one sweet machine. I regret, back in 1977 getting a 273 commando from a 67 hardtop to drop in my 68 Charger, not taking the whole car, oh well 20-20 hind sight. Still have the valve covers on my avatar.

We have been wondering what was up with the progress!! Looks great, Bill. How is the driving? I can't recall if you rebuilt the suspension or not. I bet its fun to just have all or at least most the pieces back on and drive it.

Thanks guys - I realized I have done a few things with windshield trim and interior stuff Ill post some picks this weekend. Ben I think I went with Maroon with my carpet I couldnt find any #s or direction on the code plate and I dont have a build sheet so I went with what I thought would look good - It is probably not correct. Redfastback - I did restore the suspension while it was apart and Im still hoping the rear springs will relax a bit. Cudaspaz - I dont know about the sideway stuff Im gonna focus on keepin the shiny side UP! LOL!
Bill

Looking great Bill! I recently sold my vert and I`m going through withdrawals so it`s good to see one at or nearing completion.

Hello all - this is a small update. The first shot is of the lower windshield trim I used - it is from a 78 to 90 Dodge truck - it is a shade narrow but looks nice enough for now and the price was right. The other two shots are my armrests back together. Thats it for now. Time to get back to making more money to spend on parts!!

windshield trim.jpg

doorpanel1.jpg

doorpanel2.jpg

Well I finally took some steps 2 get back going in the old cuda. I bought 4 5.5 rims and im gonna get them sand blasted so I can run the original style hub caps. I am hoping to buy a top boot shortly and console carpet - oh and a new distributor - all this in preparation of finally driving to Carslile in July. Ill post some pics as I go - See ya - Bill.....:>}

Good deal! I've been waiting impatiently for some more updates and pix! :D
Good to see you back, Bill.

George

Gave the Ol'Cuda a bath 2day for the first time since painted - Its ONLY been 2 years!! I hope the paint is cured - LOL - Washed and waxed the Ol'Girl and she looked so good I had to take some photos:D

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 002.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 234
  • 003.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 004.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 005.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 240
Gave the Ol'Cuda a bath 2day for the first time since painted - Its ONLY been 2 years!! I hope the paint is cured - LOL - Washed and waxed the Ol'Girl and she looked so good I had to take some photos:D
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill,
I dunno how I missed your post from 5-25, but DAMN I love the red/silver!
Car is looking sweet dude. Hope you're out enjoying it!

George

Well Its been some time since I've updated the status of the old Barracuda but I finally saved some pennies and bought a top cover and thought I would share some photo's. The cover does not come with the snaps installed so it was a good half day project to fit all the snaps - but the result, I feel, was well worth the effort.:toothy9: OOOPS - Guess my pictures are too big I will re-size them and post them in another post - Sorry

-
Back