Restoring a 65 Barracuda

-
I will get a picture or two and get back to you.
Thanks for your comments,
Pat

QUOTE=66FormulaS273;1969694516]Thank you for taking the time Pat for the pictures and detailed information. Contacted M&H and since I'm missing the negative battery cable from the car I was wondering if you could take a couple of pictures of your 66 engine bay since it's a survivor. Do you know if the negative cable was 23"/4 gage wire of 28"/6 gage wire. They show both listed for a 66 Barracuda and I'm figuring one is for a the a 6 and the other for an 8 cylinder, but they don't know. I'm going to order the positive battery cable but figure I would do both at the same time. I have a 273 HiPo/automatic

Thanks again for the info,

Rod

Thanks,

Rod[/QUOTE]

Thank you for taking the time Pat for the pictures and detailed information. Contacted M&H and since I'm missing the negative battery cable from the car I was wondering if you could take a couple of pictures of your 66 engine bay since it's a survivor. Do you know if the negative cable was 23"/4 gage wire of 28"/6 gage wire. They show both listed for a 66 Barracuda and I'm figuring one is for a the a 6 and the other for an 8 cylinder, but they don't know. I'm going to order the positive battery cable but figure I would do both at the same time. I have a 273 HiPo/automatic

Thanks again for the info,

Rod

Thanks,

Rod

Hi...I have attached a couple of pictures of the negative battery cable on my 66 Barracuda. I would have to say 28" would be a minimum length since mine threads between the battery and inner fender panel. Also notice the plastic hangar attached to the bottom of the battery tray.
Hope this helps, Pat

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_1260.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 388
i have a nice front bumper str8 , driver will need crome to be a show bumper but nice right now doors , trunk,lid many seats front and rear 65 pattern 1 set red 66 pattern no ripps ot tears 66 door panels full red dash all interior trim need a red 65 drivers seat no ripps or tears pm me if need parts or have seat

Picture of the cable helps, I'll order the 28". Ran into a minor problem today, developed a water leak, looks like the RH cylinder head is cracked. Will have to get with the mechanic on Monday.

Thanks

THE ENGINE

I have rebuilt several engines, so I embarked on this one without hesitation. The block had the correct build date for the car and I sure had never been removed from the car prior to me removing the engine. I took extra precautions to insure I wasn’t personally responsible for it’s destruction. Perhaps overkill, but I double up on chains and only relax after the engine has been firmly attached to the engine stand. You have a boat anchor if the hoist/chains fail and the cast iron block impacts a concrete floor. Also a good idea to keep your kids, your pets and your feet clear if the unthinkable happens.

Removing the valve covers revealed sludge had accumulated …not unexpected from a 45 year old engine. (I guess this PO spent his oil change money on something else) I was dismayed to discover that a “mechanic” had failed to tighten three rocker arm shaft bolts on the driver side head. Two of them were backed out ¼”. I knew then the heads had been off sometime in the past and wondered what other surprises my mystery mechanic friend left.

All bolts, nuts, screws and washers were placed in several individual plastic zip lock baggies and labeled according to what part of the engine the hardware came from. Lucky I did this because three years would pass before re-assembling the engine. Detailed bagging like this saves a lot of time “finding” the right bolts for the intake manifold or water pump and etc. Also, I did not take any bolts or other hardware to the engine machine shop to be degreased. The reason for this is because they dump all the hardware into a basket for cleaning, thus cancelling my efforts to keep them separated. And I know small parts are often lost this way…the machine shop included a timing plate from another customers engine with my stuff. So to insure you don’t loose vital small engine parts, clean them yourself with solvent and a wire wheel brush.

Almost three years after removing the engine, I took it to my trusted engine machine shop for a hot tank cleaning, a search for cracks in the block and heads and measuring for wear. I couldn’t believe my good luck….no cracks anywhere, cylinder wear was a maximum .005”, the pistons were good, (boring and buying domed pistons would have added almost $1000 to the overhaul cost.) and the rod and main journals on the crankshaft needed only a cleaning and standard size bearings.

Ah… but what to do about the cam that came out showing a lot pitting and who knows how far worn from the factory grind specs? I decided against new aftermarket cams and elected instead to have the original cam reground by Egge Machine Company in Santa Fe Springs, CA http://www.egge.com/ or 1-800-866-3443
These folks know engines and you can talk to them about your particular engine with confidence. Log on to the Egge website, scroll down to the “Ask Bob” link and take a peek at few FAOs and you will see what I mean.

( note.. As it turns out I didn’t need them, but Egge was the only source I found for reproduction domed pistons for the 273 HP engine @ $428.00/8)

For some unknown reason the Egge catalog doesn’t list any 273 engine for Plymouth cars. But the both 180 and 235 HP 273 cubic inch engines are listed under Dodge cars.

I gave Egge the following information regarding the 273 HP camshaft:

The Chrysler part number for a 1965 273 4 barrel engine camshaft is 2465679
248 degree duration intake and exhaust
26 degree overlap
.415” lift intake .425” lift exhaust
The 2010 price to regrind my cam to these specs was $63.75

I ordered new solid lifters since the price was actually higher to regrind my old ones. ($12.00 each with new ones less than $7.00 each)) At the same time I ordered an engine assembly kit PKT550030 containing 6 quarts of break in oil and special lube used on the cam lobes during re-assembly.

After a through degreasing, the machine shop did surgery on the heads by installing hardened valve seats, new valve springs, 8 exhaust and 2 intake valves, new cam bearings and sent the patient back to me for reassembly.

Engine reassembly was uneventful with no unusual problems. It goes without saying that a factory service manual is an invaluable reference, especially concerning the engine. From timing marks to torque specs, this manual can save you a bundle of post-heartache.

Digital cameras are a quick and easy way to record before and after information. For example, I used the camera to record the position of the oil screen tube prior to removing it. An image showing the timing chain and alignment marks during assembly may come handy if there are timing issues at startup.

There has been much written about the unavailability of correct 273 head gaskets. The problem stems from the fact that the only head gaskets I found were the “one size fits all” for 273 to 360 engines. I believe the larger bore gaskets work fine on the 273, but I happened to find an NOS 2575038 engine rebuild gasket kit for a 1965 273 and used those head gaskets on my rebuild. The kit included new exhaust manifold gaskets with the heat shields and those are no longer available from aftermarket gasket makers.

Incidentally, engine gasket kits advertised as correct for 1964-69 273’s may not contain proper fitting gaskets. I know the front and rear rubber oil pan gaskets are different between a 65 and 65-69. 273. The little rubber tits that snap into the mounting holes on the pan are different in those years. So unless the gasket kit includes a couple of different versions, you may be forced to into other solutions. I don’t know, but the intake gaskets may not be the same either.

Anyway the engine was assembled, painted and installed back into the Barracuda in the spring of 2010. It wasn’t started for the first time until two years later in the spring of 2012. It took me two years to reassemble the rest of the car.

Attachments

• 65 s engine at removal.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 431
  • 65 s engine assy 1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 65 s engine assy 3.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 380
POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE

My 66 parts cars had an original, beautifully preserved positive battery cable with part number 2661913 clearly stamped on it. Problem was, M&H had no record or spec sheet for that number, the part number is not found in any parts book and an Internet search produced no results. (part number 2587819 is listed in my 1966 parts book for a positive cable)

In the end, I sent my 2661913 cable to M&H, they reproduced it and we worked out a deal where I gave them the cable to keep for future reference. So if you happen to want a nicely reproduced positive battery cable for your 64-66 A body, call Robert Wallace at M&H (562-926-9552) and request cable 2661913 using print 35225 (their in house spec sheet number). It’ll cost about $100.00 plus shipping and you buy it directly from M&H. YearOne is M&H’s exclusive distributor for wiring kits, but not battery cables.

I'd like to add a little bit of information to this post. I called M&H this afternoon and spoke with Robert for nearly an hour discussing the original battery cable that was on a 65 Dart GT I parted out. A bit of background on the car - it was a Jul 23, 65 build - really late in the model year. It was a 273/235 4 speed, 8.75, no PS or PB but factory AC car and it had the original positive battery cable 2587819. That number is listed in my 65 Parts Manual with the page dated Mar 66. The part number is asterisked indicating it was a change. M&H does have the original print # for this cable; however, it has not been set up on their equipment. Robert compared it dimensionally to the 2661913 cable that Pat sent them. It seems that it is identically the same with the exception of the amount of protective sheathing going towards the starter - a couple of inches shorter at best. He tells me that they can reproduce the 7819 cable but might take a while for set-up, since they want it to be as accurate as possible. We discussed using the 2661913 for my 65GT application so that's what I ordered as well as the correct 28 inch long negative ground. He also mentioned that the print # for the 2661913 cable is supposed to be 43083 and not 35225. Hope this will help in some small way.

great information. I also need battery cables and have had no luck until seeing this post. I started my resto 15 years ago and got put on hold various times. Back at it again and hope to finally get on the road summer 2014. Long time owner, 47 yrs.

Hi Pat, with all the research you've done have you replaced the door seals. Bought a set a couple of years ago and just now installing and they don't fit properly. Have to really push or slam the door to get it closed. Looked at Atlas Obsolete and Restoration Specialties and wondered of you have any recommendations. Anyone who has a good recommendation please chime in.

Thanks

Hi Pat, with all the research you've done have you replaced the door seals. Bought a set a couple of years ago and just now installing and they don't fit properly. Have to really push or slam the door to get it closed. Looked at Atlas Obsolete and Restoration Specialties and wondered of you have any recommendations. Anyone who has a good recommendation please chime in.

Thanks

Hi...I bought my door seals from Kanter. They fit fine, but it takes a while for the seals to compress so that the door doesn't have to be slammed shut.
You might try adjusting the door latch loose enough to close first, then readjust later times as the seal compresses.
Good luck. Pat

pbiggs,

MY 104K mile '65 Barracuda positive battery cable has suffered much over the years. One look at it shows it isn't just any other cable and is quite different from other cables assembly's. Finding the truelly correct cable can make a huge difference. Your old, 2011, post on '65 A-body positive battery cables shows that this is "THE FORUM" for knowledge on early A-bodies. You may not even be around since today is Dec. 18 2022, 11 years after your original post. Your thorough research will continue to help guys like me for many years. Thank you so much!! I just hope that M&H are still around. I'll find out tomorrow.

pbiggs,

MY 104K mile '65 Barracuda positive battery cable has suffered much over the years. One look at it shows it isn't just any other cable and is quite different from other cables assembly's. Finding the truelly correct cable can make a huge difference. Your old, 2011, post on '65 A-body positive battery cables shows that this is "THE FORUM" for knowledge on early A-bodies. You may not even be around since today is Dec. 18 2022, 11 years after your original post. Your thorough research will continue to help guys like me for many years. Thank you so much!! I just hope that M&H are still around. I'll find out tomorrow.
Hi...yes I'm still around and thanks for the comments. Sharing information gives me joy.
Still have the 65 and now own a 66 Barracuda as well. Both FS 4 speed cars.
Good luck on your project.

-
Back