Restoring a washer bottle

-

Moparmarcus

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to restore the color of a yellowed washer bottle?

Bleach? or would it make the plastic too brittle?
Color safe laundry bleach? a little weaker, maybe better for the plastic?

Thanks in advance.

Bleach will actually turn it yellow just like it does clothes after awhile. That's why you use blueing and why fabric softner is usually blue to turn the clothes white again. Might try using hydrogen peroxide if it does not harm the plastic as it will bleach things white as well. Leave the washer bottle in a dark place while it bleaches. Hydrogen peroxide comes in a brown bottle for a reason.

Plastic ages and gets brittle like anything else. A new washer bottle isn't clear, it's white. A spray bomb of white dye will make it look newer. Nothing looks as good as a new washer bottle. If you owned an e-body you could buy a brand new looking bottle or pay even more for one that is new and yellowed so it looks original.
That would be like an old woman buying saggy breast implants. LOL

The best cleaner off the shelf I found was grease off and it did a great job on my washer bottle, but the white color dosen't come back. I don't remember hearing of anything that does that.

I didn't even think about trying to dye it... of course white is the hardest color make look right from a darker shade but may be worth a shot. I dyed all the plastic and vinyl in my Road Runner using SEM dye and it came aout amazing and has held up to the Georgia sun for 3 years now.

I may try the peroxide first to see how it works....and yeah that'll be in the basement when that happens...tried to lighten my hair in 5th grade. Next day my pillow case was every bit as green as my scalp.:shock:

Thanks for the input.

If its available new I would buy it!

They are available for about $50, which isn't bad...SEM will run me $20 for the dye and the prep. But I want to experiment a little. If I can find a cheap way bring it back to life (rad overflow too) then maybe it can help others. Plus the one I have is in good shape other than the color so I'd like to use it.

Haven't bought from Jim's, but I'd like to know what the problem with this vendor is if I'm to avoid them.

Haven't bought from Jim's, but I'd like to know what the problem with this vendor is if I'm to avoid them.

Wrong parts shipped, not their fault
Shipping charges that would make year one blush
The nasty POS lady that answers the phone and rides a broom...

Need anything else

Want some fun, go to moparts and ask there!

The main thing is after you get your old brittle washer bottle looking kinda sorta new not putting your elbow through it when working on the carb. I have killed a few of them that way myself. :angry7:

i kind of like the look of the original yellowed tanks, Even when a car has been restored with great paint interior ect.. its still cool to see that the owner tried to use as much of the original parts as he could

-
Back