Reverse manual valve body questions

-

70 Buster 340

Carbon Footprint
Reaction score
My newly acquired Duster has it. I get the manual part, shifts when you move the lever, that's good. The reverse part...
Why?

I like the option of kicking it in neutral after the lights to let it cool or if there is an engine issue but it's not possible with the 'reverse' feature.

So you have to run it out in high gear until make the turn on to the return road?

cause you are shifter away from reverse and neutral....
well my shifter....B&M pro stick...goes from 3rd gear to neutral all in one moment...once the car has slowed down somewhat i put it in neutral.......

Yup. Depends on the shifter and how the gates are setup. You might be able to modify it if necessary, or "for safety" drill / make a bracket, etc and put a removable pin in there to block out reverse

cause you are shifter away from reverse and neutral....
well my shifter....B&M pro stick...goes from 3rd gear to neutral all in one moment...once the car has slowed down somewhat i put it in neutral.......

I've got the B&M pro stick too.
Doesn't downshift going through gear 2 and 1 on the way to neutral?

Yup. Depends on the shifter and how the gates are setup. You might be able to modify it if necessary, or "for safety" drill / make a bracket, etc and put a removable pin in there to block out reverse
It has a lock out .. it's a 2 handed shifter.

nope...does not downshft went passing thru the lower gears....1st gear has no braking...

my street car 73 340 Duster has a reverse manual valve body...cheetah...I stop at the stop like and shift from 3 rd to 1st all in one motion....it has a pro stick shifter too...

Get a quicksilver shifter. Drive is 1st, back one is 2nd, back one is 3rd. and Neutral is just one bump forward from 1st and its impossible to go into reverse without lifting the lever up and out of the drive gears.

nope...does not downshft went passing thru the lower gears....1st gear has no braking...

my street car 73 340 Duster has a reverse manual valve body...cheetah...I stop at the stop like and shift from 3 rd to 1st all in one motion....it has a pro stick shifter too...

No engine braking but don't the parts still spin up ? it's still in first gear even though it's not trying to turn the motor. It's like running it up to WOT in 1st and letting off the gas the engine slows down but it's still in first gear, so if you down shift from 90MPH in to first how fast are the parts spinning ?

I figure moving the lever forward while moving is downshifting.

Sounds like that Quicksilver pattern is the same ... 3rd is all the back.

Best automatic shifter I've ever owned was the 4 gear "Lightning Rods" in my 84 Hurst/Olds. Great cars BTW.

There are a few 3 gear Hurst versions still out there but without an approved lock-out it wouldn't be legal at the track.

ok...not downshifting at 90 mph.....dont know...no speedo......

i do it...been doing it for decades.....will keep doing it for a few years more....
I dont stop in 1st gear....go to neutral...i can slam into neutral...
that is what i do....just do as you want....

For some reason I'm afraid to try it in the traps.... and over rev.

maybe moving the valve fast enough through 2 and 1 .... can get away with it.

i am not doing in the traps...i slow the car down...this go into neutral.....i am foot braking to slow the car down plus Vegas has an up hill shut down area,,,,

The manual reverse valve body accomplishes 2 things. Both are meant to accommodate using a FACTORY shifter.

1. You shift away from neutral and reverse, which there is no gate for Neutral.

2. Every gear now has a gate on the upshift, forward pattern they do not.

And you can go to neutral at any time by shoving the handle all the way forward WITHOUT pushing the button.

All of these post are for your personal set up. Each on is different.
There is no need to down shift. A car nice enough to have a manual valve body can most likely drive from a red light in 3rd gear.
Post # 11 is crazy. If you have a Grinner or a AA valve body in a built BLUE PRINTED transmission the shifting is faster than you!
The reason your transmission pulls the motor down in first gear is some valve bodys apply the band in first gear. This is a good thing. Nice to have the band applied when taking off from a light or at the strip. I may of miss spelled the two brands of valve bodys I mentioned so go with it.
So, back to POST #1. Your last sentence is close. It is NOT tell you make it to the return road. Its tell you stop and get your winning ET slip.
Don't worry your motor will cool. just roll down your window and cool your self.

It is actually a safety issue ..
If I look down at the oil pressure gauge in the traps and it is at zero I would like to kick it out of gear before the rods kick out of the bottom.

The last thing I would want to do is 'downshift' on the way to neutral.
The chip won't save it.

BTW .. it's a JW built trans and I don't know the brand of the valve body.

So if post #11 is Crazy, then I guess you are saying it WILL down shift on the way to neutral ?

Winning slips are good as is 115 mph breeze.

If you look at the oil pressure gauge and it is down to zero you got way bigger problems than what gear your in.
I do not know who JW is. What I said was blue printed. Yes post 11 is crazy, but if YOU want then go for it. At the least you most likely will have a drum and clutch pac at a un Godly RPM under your feet.
Just buy a blow shield.

If you look at the oil pressure gauge and it is down to zero you got way bigger problems than what gear your in.
I do not know who JW is. What I said was blue printed. Yes post 11 is crazy, but if YOU want then go for it. At the least you most likely will have a drum and clutch pac at a un Godly RPM under your feet.
Just buy a blow shield.
Look ... get real, your wrong.
The "bigger problem" would be spinning it in the oil when the rods kick out and you couldn't have had a chance to prevent that.
Thanks for 'trying' to be helpful but your attitude about it sucks.
If you don't know who JW is maybe you should check out this site, or order a Jegs or Summit catalog. JW Performance Transmissions |
Post 11 is crazy, so is the guy that wrote it.

Last edited:
I did check out the web site. VERY NICE SORRY
I personally just never heard of the place.
Lets keep the oil pressure up rods in the motor and win some races.

I think some guys like to go to neutral for the purpose of reading the plugs. They can go from WOT to zero rpm, coast down, pull off the return road and pull the plugs. Never done it myself. There is this here pricey vb: COA-22015-AL - BILLET ALUMINUM MANUAL VALVE BODY KIT W/CLEAN NEUTRAL (REVERSED PATTERN) PRN123N

Exactly! The best way to get a good clean plug read. "Cut it off" Drags and roundy-round too.

Thanks for the link! "Clean Neutral" Now I know the term.
That is a sweet part but how many neutrals doe on car need... lol

So.. that leads me to my next 'stupid' question.
Does a valve body Have To Be reverse to be manual?
Geez, ratchet shifters with gates and lockouts solve the 'oops I just hit reverse' syndrome. It is 2019 and a half...

If you have no engine braking in first it does not have low band apply in first. Be careful how you do burn outs, start in second or third. Also, while in fist gear do not back out of it and then re hit it as your sprag clutch will be taking a beating. As you probably know, a failed sprag clutch equals exploding transmission.

Wow, what a great tip d55. I didn't know that. Thanks!
Think I'll print that out and tape it to the dash.. so'z I don't forget
scratch_one-s_head.gif

Exactly! The best way to get a good clean plug read. "Cut it off" Drags and roundy-round too.

Thanks for the link! "Clean Neutral" Now I know the term.
That is a sweet part but how many neutrals doe on car need... lol

So.. that leads me to my next 'stupid' question.
Does a valve body Have To Be reverse to be manual?
Geez, ratchet shifters with gates and lockouts solve the 'oops I just hit reverse' syndrome. It is 2019 and a half...
There are some FMVBs out there. No personal experience with one.

-
Back