RHS or EDDY

-
I completely disagree about the cracking.
Lame.

you guys think telling someone to go drop 1300 on new heads so he can have quench at 9.5 comp is cool or helping?

Ive seen some of you cats ruin your factory heads by over porting the short turn, yet...there are no cracks.....

Hell...my j's flow another 30 cfm over that & port volume out at 186-187cc....NO CRACKS
Ive milled .060 off of the decks.....NO CRACKS

Its one thing when we're talking factory magnum heads, but the j's are no more crack prone than any over priced after market head out there.

Why is it that when someone comes on a car site wanting a lil more umph, every web genius on the planet comes out of the woodwork telling him to go spend over a thousand dollars on heads that still need to be worked...

Change that cam!!!!!!

Tune it, or have it tuned by someone who really knows a lot about it!!!!!!

Dont spend 1300+ for 'maybe' 20 hp!!!!!!!!!!!! [everything else the same]

You'll need more parts to make to realize the potential of that after market head.
AND.... next thing you know....you'll be back asking why you dont really feel that much of a diff, and next thing you know....the same salesmen will be back telling you to buy something else to make'm work.

I see a couple options...
1 fix what you have, they will go 270cfm@500 fairly easy and shouldnt cost more than 300-400 worth of porting, and then cam option..
2 ...just up the cam and make th heads work harder, get the mid lift where the peak flow of the head is 'HENCE THE FLOW TEST BEFORE HAND'

OR 3, quit messing around and go buy some full ported aftermarket heads along with a 'at least' .550 lift/288-298 dur 108cl cam and of corse change the pistons for some 'min 10.5 comp/zero deck height' and then the that magical closed chamber will actually do something for power that you can feel.

Back in the day when I was starting out...if I was to listen and follow the advice im reading here today....I would be broke, just as uneducated about engines/tune, and pissed off lookin to pound on someone's noggin.

btw, this is where lack of interest comes from anymore, guys I respect...who for some reason stopped make any sense.

They do and will crack when you get them up there in flow numbers.

BOTTOM LINE

HE NEVER ASKED ABOUT HIS HEADS, JUST RHS AND EDDY!

Have fun...

They do and will crack when you get them up there in flow numbers.

BOTTOM LINE

HE NEVER ASKED ABOUT HIS HEADS, JUST RHS AND EDDY!

Have fun...

One wild and crazy guy is not only dead right, but he hit the nail on the head with a resounding BANG!!!

I so completely agree with him, it's sickening.

Cracked , you need to go have some more beer and stop posting while intoxicated. Come one now, your booooosting your heads flow like crazy only because there force feed. Come one now.

Seriously, this guy needs help and OW&CG has so far been the best voice of reason.

Mad, your answer(s) of go and purchase new heads and have Brain port them is just throwing money at the problem. How about actualy thinking about whathe has and whats going on.

J heads are no more prone to cracking than anyother older head. The Newer 308's style and Magnum are prone to cracking....like your head, LOL! Serious Mad, come onenow. Help da-guy out.

Theres not enuff info on this guys stuff to just shout out, "Get RHS heads and have Brian port them out...to high heaven and go faster.

Geeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :violent1:

Nope it's always fun with these threads.

I personally don't give a crap what anyone does other than getting off track from the original question. Maybe he just wants something different that his current set up. Whether that's what you or anyone else would do isn't really important.

Fine if you want to inform him about an alternative and that's fine, have at it. Still doesn't address his original question.

Between the two of his original selections, for the cost, rhs is what I'd recommend. Unported too...

Nighty nite.

Rumble, I never said anything about buying anything. I was messin around about the force feeding. In no way did I try and cause a fight..... Sorry fellas.

I am going to replace the heads on my 408 in a few weeks and don't want to make a mistake. The motor now has a set of big valved J heads cc'd @71 they have had some port work on them but I do not know the extent. My motor is now 9.2:1 comp, and a street only motor.

Specs:

1974 360 bored .030
Wiseco -20 pistons
Eagle crank 4"
MP 248 - 484 Hyd cam (installed 4* advanced)
Edelbrock Air Gap intake
edelbrock 600 cfm (changing to 750-800)
4 speed
3:55 sure grip
28" tires

I want the car to run on Pump gas. Looking for advice on what heads to install for a healthy street machine. It runs OK now but just does not set me back the way I would like. I am thinking compression increase might help?????

Thanks

Looks like he WANTS to replace his heads by this statement.
I think, no wait...I KNOW there's a reason why people are recommending RHS heads, specifically our heads...too bad not everybody can figure it out!

OP...if you do change the heads, it would benefiet you to change the cam at the same time if it's in your budget. The 750 DP will work great also.
When all the web bull settles, work with a builder who has a great rep and one you trust to help guide you. Doesn't have to be me, god knows there are other builders out there.

No doubt that cam and carb are holding back what you currently have. Keep in mind that changing that cam might mean you need to replace the valve springs and possibly upgrade to 10 degree retainers and locks. Get the right cam in there with a 750 Holley double pumper and most likely you will be happy. Brian at IMM can recommend a cam for you and his prices are very competitive.

If you have money to burn and wanna go faster hook up with Brian at IMM and get cam and heads. The RHS heads are the bang for the buck winner as far as replacement heads go and the closed chamber will up your compression. The Eddy heads have the benefit of lighter weight and when ported make great power. Their only down side is the additional cost.

Also remember that you can sell off those J heads for a nice chunk of change and get a set of RHS heads ready to bolt on and go. Its more money yes but its easier. If it were me I would swap the heads out because I like closed chamber quench engines.

If he wants to replace his heads ... thatbe fine by me ... just trying to save a guy a buck since his J's could still fit the build. Cheaper to port them out (If there in good shape) than purchase new heads. And then port them ... at what price?

What ever.... IDK! How much can ya get for J heads in ?What condition?

I'm still wondering what the heads flow now.

Looks like he WANTS to replace his heads by this statement.
I think, no wait...I KNOW there's a reason why people are recommending RHS heads, specifically our heads...too bad not everybody can figure it out!

OP...if you do change the heads, it would benefiet you to change the cam at the same time if it's in your budget. The 750 DP will work great also.
When all the web bull settles, work with a builder who has a great rep and one you trust to help guide you. Doesn't have to be me, god knows there are other builders out there.

Yeah there is a reason, cause for most people....it's easier to spend money.
Culture of waste and haste...

I see right through all this bs.

You completely avoid giving advice so that u can sell him something instead.
Usually people will cover the basics first, so that we make sure the next step is the right one.....but here in this thread it's all about damn near complete rebuild of his engine.

I love how the cam change comes into play after yet another recommendation of new heads....see, I told u.
LOL!!!!!u know gawd damn well the carb is too small, the cam is too small, and that just bolting on a set of those heads you sell is gonna give dk for an hp increase unless he changes most everything else....then u can guess wether the power came from that bigger carb, header, cam or those heads.

Not a single one of you has asked about the tune...

and 4* advance with that cam under that cid?????#-o

still no body says a word......

Its your choice.

I just wanted make sure you were aware of everything involved and also wether you have exhaust all other means of getting more power with what you have=tune, carb, cam degree straight up, timing & curve...etc

I do build my own motors, I do port and flow all my heads myself, and I do know how to tune for performance.

I am all about doing everything under the sun to make sure I maximize what I HAVE ....before I upgrade any parts and drop large amounts of coin.

Just looking out for you, dont let the differ in opinion confuse you.

Talk to some more people, people who know and consider that it's your money and not some 'fantasy land, lets spend someone elses money' type of blowhard nonsense.

more than one way to do it.

If he wants to replace his heads ... thatbe fine by me ... just trying to save a guy a buck since his J's could still fit the build. Cheaper to port them out (If there in good shape) than purchase new heads. And then port them ... at what price?

What ever.... IDK! How much can ya get for J heads in ?What condition?

I'm still wondering what the heads flow now.

Not much, maybe 100-200 bucks depending on where u live.

as for what they flow?
Every x or J ive worked on with only doing a mild bowl blend and mild ssr lay back flow 240-245cfm on average between .450-.500 lift.

they flow 225-230 depending on valve job 'stock'

Yeah there is a reason, cause for most people....it's easier to spend money.
Culture of waste and haste...

I see right through all this bs.

You completely avoid giving advice so that u can sell him something instead.
Usually people will cover the basics first, so that we make sure the next step is the right one.....but here in this thread it's all about damn near complete rebuild of his engine.

I love how the cam change comes into play after yet another recommendation of new heads....see, I told u.
LOL!!!!!u know gawd damn well the carb is too small, the cam is too small, and that just bolting on a set of those heads you sell is gonna give dk for an hp increase unless he changes most everything else....then u can guess wether the power came from that bigger carb, header, cam or those heads.

Not a single one of you has asked about the tune...

and 4* advance with that cam under that cid?????#-o

still no body says a word......

I never recommended our heads...OTHER people did. Ask them why they did.

I never recommended our heads...OTHER people did. Ask them why they did.

Some of these people dont even own rhs heads, it's follow the leader bs, just the like with the eddy heads a while back...

You dont see it, but Im seeing stroked340 under different screen names..

I give info out all the time, and not just to make a sale. Ask around.

I dont follow what u post all the time, Yes I have seen you give info/good info...sometimes with nothing to explain it though.

But really...your site record has nothing to do with this.
What was important and worth responding to..was the fact that this op was gonna let to be randomly buying thousands of dollars worth of parts without considering the rest of the story.

There has always been a line between builder and machinist.ime
The builder should know better and is familiar with real time run/performance, the machinsist doesnt care as long as it stays together and doesnt put holes through the pistons.....the 2 counter eachother with one trying to push it harder....and the other trying tame it. ime

WORD...happy now? LOL!

I was already happy :)
I mean...we are talking mopars..

Yes there are plenty of strokers out there running ported J heads with good results. But money aside closed chamber RHS heads are better because they have quench and flow a lot more then J heads when comparing unported to unported heads; in short a better starting point. Quench reduces detonation plus it would raise compression and the original poster could use a little more compression.

Here is an article that shows what the factory heads can do:

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/10408416strokerdynotestingsept2002.php

Yes there are plenty of strokers out there running ported J heads with good results. But money aside closed chamber RHS heads are better because they have quench and flow a lot more then J heads when comparing unported to unported heads; in short a better starting point. Quench reduces detonation plus it would raise compression and the original poster could use a little more compression.

Here is an article that shows what the factory heads can do:

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/10408416strokerdynotestingsept2002.php

read the bold in your statement.

With alot of people buying up the RHS heads,I wonder if there will be some Eddy heads coming up for sale in the future?(cheap)Hmm.:idea1:

I bought a brand new pair from a local member for $1000 recently.

For 500.00 you can get good power out of the eddy heads, and for 1200.00 you'll SMOKE the RHS heads unless they are fully ported, in which case they should still make more power due to the pushrod pinch area able to be larger.

Brian

Brian will be working his magic on my heads soon, and has discussed adding bigger intakes. Same basic build as OP.

-
Back