RHS -X (LA) headed 416 has been to the track!

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Some may remember the thread several months ago about my flow bench experiences with the RHS X (LA) head. Well, the car FINALLY went down the track tonight:

70 Duster
All OEM ex: Glass hood/deck/bumpers
Cage, mini tubs and springs moved in
3100# race ready

KB Flat tops (.025 out = 12.2:1 CR)
Bullet 268/276 solid cam (.585" lift)
Comp Pro Mag stainless rockers (1.5)
OLD Victor intake
800 Holley (with Silly Wild Azz Guess fuel curve)
RHS X 2.02 heads (268 peak cfm at .600")
Hooker 1 3/4 x 3 headers
Dynomax bullet muffs
MSD 7AL3 w/crank trigger

8" (5000-ish) converter
8 3/4 with a 4.56 gear and spool
11.5x29.5 slicks
Cal Tracs and leafs

Leaving at 2500 on the footbrake, and 5800 shifts:

10.54 @ 130 (100 degrees/2940 DA)
10.50 @ 130 (86 degrees/2480 DA)
104 and change at the 660'

The 60' is weak at 1.47-ish, probably due to only having 30 degrees of timing...

Not too bad for a "replacement" head, NO tuning and my first small block build. Best part was no leaks, no holes and nothing fell off!

Looks good.....was those runs from Bakersfield?

Looks good.....was those runs from Bakersfield?

Nope, Sacramento which was almost as hot. Bako was at 109 according to someone I spoke with as they rolled through the gate down there.

When we got to Sac at 5:00 it was 105 and we waited intil 7:30 to make the first hit, after it had "cooled off" to 100!

A 140 drop in DA and you pick up .04? What happens when you get down to the water? LOL!
Nice, real nice! Keep us informed!

A 140 drop in DA and you pick up .04? What happens when you get down to the water? LOL!
Nice, real nice! Keep us informed!

It was actually a drop of 460 feet. BUT, none that matters too much YET. The driver hasn't been down a track in almost 7 years, so he's not as consistent as he will be. I think he was in a little deep on the .50 run.

Also on the .50 run, it kinda "spit" after the front end went up..almost like it was maybe uncovering the jets in the rear. That might be why it didn't pick up more and had nearly the same MPH, (all else with the first being equal in the driver's seat). I'm adding jet extensions when we go run it again.

We'll go out this Friday and make a few more squirts and be a little more focued.

That thing hauls some TAIL!! You don't need Aluminum to getrrrr dunnnn........... or the other $1500.00 expense either. Your numbers are puttin the hurtin to them Puffed up eddy headed guys.........WOW

Yes, there are non puffed up eddy headed guys!

That thing hauls some TAIL!! You don't need Aluminum to getrrrr dunnnn........... or the other $1500.00 expense either. Your numbers are puttin the hurtin to them Puffed up eddy headed guys.........WOW

Hey!I got Eddy heads and I,m not all puffed up!LOL,I got a deal on mine ITB new and the RHS weren,t available whe I purchased.Even if I did order a pair the shipping would be a deal breaker.

Nice runs.

Wonder how it would run with a 950hp or a 1050 Dominator on it?

I'd try loading the converter more and see how it reacts. Maybe then go the other way and leave closer to idle. Try it both directions. I know when Brian ran his car, the best launch was loaded at about 3200-3500 against the verter, 10" 3500 stall, barely kept from creeping.

You running rancho 9 ways?

Hey!I got Eddy heads and I,m not all puffed up!LOL,I got a deal on mine ITB new and the RHS weren,t available whe I purchased.Even if I did order a pair the shipping would be a deal breaker.

The guys I am talking about are the ones that say Eddy's are the best thing since sliced bread. They know who they are and I bet they will not post here.

Hey, I like this hobby all the way around and to each their own. Rhs, Eddy, W2, Indy, stock.........whatever gets the job done is fine with me.:-D

As the OP has stated Not too bad for a REPLACEMENT HEAD, and NO TUNING AS OF YET! I dig it.

Who's that "Non-Puff Daddy"??

We considered the Eddy's and decided they weren't for us and what we were trying to do. Other aluminum (Indybrocks, Indy 360-1, Brodix) were out of our league. Used W2's were considered but couldn't find any that were for sale by anyone I KNEW.
I read that when all out ported, the Eddys would flow better but we just wanted to go "mid-10's" and felt the RHS's were the best bang for the buck after doing a little research. I also felt that with a flat top piston and the Eddy chamber, I wouldn't have anywhere near enough compression to "keep the heat" in the chamber. The added bonus was when the same bench flowed a set ot OTTB Eddy's and they were 10 cfm behind the as supplied RHS's and were $300 cheaper with lighter valves and behive springs/retainers.

While Eddy's work great for some, I be LOVIN' the RHS heads.

Nice runs.

Wonder how it would run with a 950hp or a 1050 Dominator on it?

I'd try loading the converter more and see how it reacts. Maybe then go the other way and leave closer to idle. Try it both directions. I know when Brian ran his car, the best launch was loaded at about 3200-3500 against the verter, 10" 3500 stall, barely kept from creeping.

You running rancho 9 ways?

I do too wonder about a bigger carb. If I can find a good, proven 950 to borrow you can bet I'll try it! Although I think it would take more shift RPM than 5,800 to use the added airflow and see in it in the ET.

We are going to experiment with the RPM at the hit and shift point this Friday. Not sure if the little 10" drum brakes will hold it any higher than 2,500 but we'll see...

Rancho 5-ways from the "Flintstone era" of the Cal Trac deal. Hmmmm, guess I better look and see where they're set now that you mention it...

Awesome!

Are the heads ported?

Nope. They were bowl blended for the 2.02 as supplied. We gained the most CFM from the vendor by correcting the valve job. Saw a tiny improvement by unshrouding the chamber around the intake valve and a 2 minute trimming of the guide boss. In fact touching the guide boss gained us nearly nothing...a couple of CFM up top IIRC...

Who's that "Non-Puff Daddy"??

More like this...

1.jpg

Sta-Puft Daddy

Not bad for those heavy *** iron doorstops.

More like this...

1.jpg

Sta-Puft Daddy

Not bad for those heavy *** iron doorstops.

Man, that dude needs some SUN...

Heavy is right! About 5 pounds EACH heavier than the X heads we had on the 340. I didn't think to weigh them to compare to a 906 BB head, but they felt just as heavy!

Interesting. There's potential left in my Iron Ram/EQ heads, but I'm thinking about trying something else. Being able to do a real stud mount rocker is appealing to me.

Where did you get the heads? Halfinger?

very very cool! I JUST bought a set of these heads complete from Brian at IMM, for my 318. They should be here in 8 days.....Do you have pics of the car, and engine?

Interesting. There's potential left in my Iron Ram/EQ heads, but I'm thinking about trying something else. Being able to do a real stud mount rocker is appealing to me.

Yes. IMO, he's the only guy to get them from.

WAIT! Before you toss those EQ heads note that we flowed a set right out of the box. We robbed a 2.02 out of the RHS and...with NO bowl blend for the 2.02, they outflowed the RHS by about 5 cfm up to .450. They were only about 10 (checked the notes!) cfm behind the RHS above that. Remember, no bowl blend...untouched except for the bigger seats and VJ. Chambers weren't shrouded either as with the RHS heads. I fully excpect them to flow the same numbers when we're done with the bowl blend.

Want a screw in stud and Chevy rockers on the EQ's? Have a GOOD machine shop drill out and re-tap the rocker bolt down holes. You'd have to to the same to the RHS Magnum version anyway...

Just food for thought...

Nope didn't get them from Brian.

very very cool! I JUST bought a set of these heads complete from Brian at IMM, for my 318. They should be here in 8 days.....Do you have pics of the car, and engine?

Got a few of the car, but no motor pics yet. Took some while I was building it and (ahhh...hemmm) someone lost the chip that was in the camera.

Here's a peek from our first (didn't go so well..puked a trans seal) outing in May. Will get some motor and on track shots this Friday...

KensDust_May.jpg

-
Back