Rich at idle

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
I just installed my Proform body today. The car runs much better but is real rich at idle (black smoke) Is an overly rich condition at idle air blead related or jets ?

could be either. Obviously you have ran the mixture screws in and out with no change so what i would do next is jack the idle up about 1500 to 200 and check the exhaust again if it seems better then I would say its air bleed if it seems just as rich then its prob jetting ..;.only way I know to get a base line on something like this
another thing check float levels as too high a float will make you over rich at an idle

Jets are 72/84 with a 6.5" power valve. I need to check the vacume, never did do it.

I think I have the air bleeds in the wrong spot though. I'll check it later.

Check to make sure your transfer slots in the base plate aren't uncovered at idle also. Sounds like a power valve could be blown or just wrong. Did it run rich before switching to the pro-form body? If you have too small an idle air bleed it could make it run rich but the ones that came with it from pro-form should be very close. Air bleeds are usually for fine tuning and do not change things as much as main jets unless you go to extremes. Now if you had the air bleeds out and swapped locations its entirely possible thats why its rich. just some thoughts.

Oops. Some one for got the gasket for the power valve. LOL. It runs much better now.

-
Back