Richard Holdener starting to doing some 2.2L DODGE TURBO dyno testing.

-
About 15 years ago I watched a guy racing his 80’s daytona with that turbo 2.2. Was running low 10’s. He did a rwd conversion because he got tired of rebuilding the transaxle all the time. I guess like anything, they can run real good with the right setup and combination

This is one of my favorite videos. This is a k car with a turbo 2 Daytona engine in it. Listen to the crowd laughing him when he pulls up and the shocked reaction at the end. Wouldn't want to be the guy in the Supra in the left lane LOL.

Fun cars! I had an 86 Daytona CS Z and it was a blast to drive
1tKm9PzsB0k9xw5AHaFj?w=235&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg

This is one of my favorite videos. This is a k car with a turbo 2 Daytona engine in it. Listen to the crowd laughing him when he pulls up and the shocked reaction at the end. Wouldn't want to be the guy in the Supra in the left lane LOL.

FYI, the owner of the Reliant is a member here. Haven't seen him for awhile though.

@gdonovan

IIRC they fixed or at least greatly improved the FWD axle issue when they went to equal length half shafts.

Fixed a lot of the hellacious torque steer, too.

I believe you could retro-it those as well.

I’ve had a turbo Daytona and turbo 600 convertible… I’ve always wanted an Omni GHLS.

And lets not forget the Dodge M4S from the movie The Wraith. Twin turbo 2.2 450hp top speed of 190 mph. Very cool car

My buddy had a GLH. He had a 70 Challenger 340 4 spd R/T in Plum Crazy. It was a gorgeous car. He swapped the 340 for a 440 and the 440 ran about 15 minutes and blew up. He was so frustrated he sold the Challenger and next thing I knew he had a GLH. He called me up one Friday night and asked if I wanted to go cruising in the GLH. We had a blast, and blew off a couple of 5.0 Mustangs. :thumbsup:
those sewing machines didnt blow off 5.0 stangs
they might blow off and asshat in stang
auto stang gt fully loaded it might beat by a lugnut
i prolly raced 10 of those at the track 5 cars or better all the time
my stang hooked better on the street
225 60 15 gatorbacks were trash tires
throw the dodge daytona turbo in with it

Probably shouldn't be admitting this.....

My '15 Renegade 1.4T six speed weighs the same as a 73 Duster.

Yesterday I raced a newer rs camaro from a 15 MPH rolling start.

SMOKED it to 70 MPH.

Lat week I raced an '05-'10 v6 mustang in about the same circumstances.

Smoked that, too.

...and almost unbelievably....about 6 months ago I smoked a suzuki gsxr to 50 MPH.
I did have a little head start but he couldn't catch me until past 50!!
He was revving his engine at the light and I spooled up kind of as a joke, but he heard it.
I guess I just timed the light better (or maybe he didn't think I was serious), but I couldn't believe how long it took him to catch me.

That's more street racing than I've done in the previous 20 years!

My buddy had a GLH. He had a 70 Challenger 340 4 spd R/T in Plum Crazy. It was a gorgeous car. He swapped the 340 for a 440 and the 440 ran about 15 minutes and blew up. He was so frustrated he sold the Challenger and next thing I knew he had a GLH. He called me up one Friday night and asked if I wanted to go cruising in the GLH. We had a blast, and blew off a couple of 5.0 Mustangs. :thumbsup:
spikey you can red x all you want 95% of stock glhs were 15.5cars
the quicker ones ran 0 to 60 in low 6s then nosed over and ran 14.9@93 from 60 mph it was high 15 second car slow as chit
Your buddy never had a 1970 challenger rt 340 they never made 1 lol
carry on

Dialing up the boost or an over-boost controller made a LOT of improvement on those 2.2T cars.

Real easy and cheap, too.

spikey you can red x all you want 95% of stock glhs were 15.5cars
the quicker ones ran 0 to 60 in low 6s then nosed over and ran 14.9@93 from 60 mph it was high 15 second car slow as chit
Your buddy never had a 1970 challenger rt 340 they never made 1 lol
carry on
Shelby Turbo-Charger(non-GLHS), with good tires(not slicks/cheaters), could run 14.80's. Hot Rod mag beat the piss out of 5.0L HO LX(14.6's), 5.0L GT(14.88 BEST ET), 350 IROC Z(14.88 BEST ET). That was an '86 Shelby BTW, when new.
The problem with the Daytonas was the weight went up faster than the advances in the engine/turbo tech, My '88 ShelbyZ weighs as much as My '69 Dart Custom HT w/the 'teener & 4-gear did, not a favorable move. The fact that the exhaust necked-down to 1&7/8" by the side of the fuel tank didn't help.
The '89-'90 5.0L 'stangs with the timing jacked up & the intakes iced-down were doing ~97-98mph in the 1/4, & 13's mid-upper with DOT Quick-times etc. & 3.73's.
My bone-stock ShelbyZ only topped out @88+, so those true, had a long way to go at that point. The Omni & Charger bodies were much lighter, & a way better choice body by 5-600#.

Shelby Turbo-Charger(non-GLHS), with good tires(not slicks/cheaters), could run 14.80's. Hot Rod mag beat the piss out of 5.0L HO LX(14.6's), 5.0L GT(14.88 BEST ET), 350 IROC Z(14.88 BEST ET). That was an '86 Shelby BTW, when new.
The problem with the Daytonas was the weight went up faster than the advances in the engine/turbo tech, My '88 ShelbyZ weighs as much as My '69 Dart Custom HT w/the 'teener & 4-gear did, not a favorable move. The fact that the exhaust necked-down to 1&7/8" by the side of the fuel tank didn't help.
The '89-'90 5.0L 'stangs with the timing jacked up & the intakes iced-down were doing ~97-98mph in the 1/4, & 13's mid-upper with DOT Quick-times etc. & 3.73's.
My bone-stock ShelbyZ only topped out @88+, so those true, had a long way to go at that point. The Omni & Charger bodies were much lighter, & a way better choice body by 5-600#.
lx 5 spd stangs ran 14.4 14.5@96mph all auto stangs were dogs along with gta ta irocs i mean idogs and glh/daytona
my 87 lx 5spd coupe stock was low 14s@98 with 2.73s i prolly had 250 passes on it never iced the intake lol i bought it new i lived it at the track not me and buddy blew off stangs bs there tons off road test as well stock glhs dont blow off stangs i saw glhs in the high 13s not stock again 95% of those glh sewing machine sounding cars ran 15.5
14.8 was the best at low 90s mph that is not blowing off 5.0 stangs
350 irocs were dogs same thing quick to 60 mph with the torque then nose over and slow as chit after a 100 mph the idog was even slower but still would walk a glh or daytona
86 gt mustangs 2.73s not 3.08s were 14.6@94
my lx sucked off the line 2.12 best 60 foot on trash 225 60 15s gatorbacks zero traction still trapping 98 mph with 2.73s
hot rod also ran a 1987 yellow coupe 5 spd 3.08s vht spray 13.9@99 mph
mustangs were traction limted running 96 to 99 mph traps turbo 2.2 were low 90s trap speed did well 0 to 60 because of traction chit top end stangs were 140 mph gn shutdown@ 127 mph glh were slow as piss after 60
they ran a 14.0 time 0 to 60 @ 6.1 6.2 then were slow as chit same as irocs the gta ta
the quick car was the buick gn the stang coupe and the corvette 14.3 @ 95 to 98 mph
ice on the intake was buick gn chit the asshat drivers i could beat the good gn drivers sucked the paint off me 3 cars out of the hole we trapped the same
from a roll it was dead even with stock 87 gns until the factory fuel shutoff@127 mph for the gn then he was gone
trap speed is what matters stangs were 96 to 99 2.2 turbos were low 90s and high 80s
i raced them all the track doesnt lie
I will say for a 4 cylinder they were quick they didnt sound good nor did the gn v6 nothing beats the sound of a v8 i drove all the cars before i bought the lx it wasnt close and for $10200 it was a steal gt stangs were 16k lol idogs were 14k the shelby you speak of was atleast 13k
time to bow out

Last edited:
Years ago a guy from CT drove up to N.E. Dragways [150 miles] in a Plymouth Acclaim 2.5 Turbo. He was turning 13.5's consistently. One week he bolted on a set of puny slicks. Turned a 13.2. Smart guy. He was playing with boost pressures.

In 1991/2 Chrysler made a 2.2 with a Lotus cyl head in the dodge spirit rt. 5 speed stick only.

One of my fiends has a Spirit R/T and a Charger GLHS.

We've seen several lightly modified L body 2.2T cars in the mid 13's.
Not terribly hard to do.

I believe I was one of the first to discover a controlled over-boost condition on my 86 CS.
I had a vacuum leak that would allow over-boost at WOT, but then seal up before the shut-down kicked in.
Took me forever to find that leak but it was fun as hell for about a month before it wouldn't close off and triggered the shutdown every time.
After I fixed that, one of my friends (mentioned above) friends built a device to simulate that leak and close it off at the proper point.
It was called a "widget". I believe he sold those for a while.

After I broke the second shift fork, had to find the 25th vacuum leak, replaced the distributor pickup, and repaired/replaced parts in the shift linkage IDK how many times, I decided, as fun as they were, that 80's and 90's FWD Mopars weren't for me.

Despite having the same problems (plus multiple ECU failures) my friend mentioned above still has a gaggle of those cars including both the Spirit and the GLHS.

lx 5 spd stangs ran 14.4 14.5@96mph all auto stangs were dogs along with gta ta irocs i mean idogs and glh/daytona
my 87 lx 5spd coupe stock was low 14s@98 with 2.73s i prolly had 250 passes on it never iced the intake lol i bought it new i lived it at the track not me and buddy blew off stangs bs there tons off road test as well stock glhs dont blow off stangs i saw glhs in the high 13s not stock again 95% of those glh sewing machine sounding cars ran 15.5
14.8 was the best at low 90s mph that is not blowing off 5.0 stangs
350 irocs were dogs same thing quick to 60 mph with the torque then nose over and slow as chit after a 100 mph the idog was even slower but still would walk a glh or daytona
86 gt mustangs 2.73s not 3.08s were 14.6@94
my lx sucked off the line 2.12 best 60 foot on trash 225 60 15s gatorbacks zero traction still trapping 98 mph with 2.73s
hot rod also ran a 1987 yellow coupe 5 spd 3.08s vht spray 13.9@99 mph
mustangs were traction limted running 96 to 99 mph traps turbo 2.2 were low 90s trap speed did well 0 to 60 because of traction chit top end stangs were 140 mph gn shutdown@ 127 mph glh were slow as piss after 60
they ran a 14.0 time 0 to 60 @ 6.1 6.2 then were slow as chit same as irocs the gta ta
the quick car was the buick gn the stang coupe and the corvette 14.3 @ 95 to 98 mph
ice on the intake was buick gn chit the asshat drivers i could beat the good gn drivers sucked the paint off me 3 cars out of the hole we trapped the same
from a roll it was dead even with stock 87 gns until the factory fuel shutoff@127 mph for the gn then he was gone
trap speed is what matters stangs were 96 to 99 2.2 turbos were low 90s and high 80s
i raced them all the track doesnt lie
I will say for a 4 cylinder they were quick they didnt sound good nor did the gn v6 nothing beats the sound of a v8 i drove all the cars before i bought the lx it wasnt close and for $10200 it was a steal gt stangs were 16k lol idogs were 14k the shelby you speak of was atleast 13k
time to bow out
Trap speed is all that matters sure, I specifially mentioned My ShelbyZ vs the FI 'stangs, because they are close in curb weight. Nobody is arguing that, but with a competent driver the lighter turbo cars were upper '14's with the factory Gatorbacks, not any worse than the cars I cited. All being equal with cheater slicks or slicks, the best P/W favors the LX & GN, or 'vette if You had the $$$$$. Top end in My ShelbyZ TurboII was published @135 & 138, and it will do it, I also walked away top-end from a stk. GN with the 125mph speedo buried. Would it kill Me at the strip? Sure it would, but I'm not really a drag-racing guy at heart, so....

I had a 91 Spirit R/T and a 90 Shadow 2.2 with the VNT turbo and intercooler. We street raced all the time. I never lost in the shadow..Iroc Camaros...5.0 Mustangs..hopped up Thunderbird Super Coupes..you name it..this car whooped it!!]

20190209_174141.jpg

20190209_174251.jpg

20190209_174240.jpg

My friend also has a VNT Lancer.

At least I think he still has that.

-
Back