Rims for 69 Valiant 100 Options?

-

Val69_170

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new, I bought a 69 Valiant 100 with 13" original rims. What are my options for changing them.

I found a set of Cragar SS rims they are 14" x6" and 14" x8" with 3" offset. I don't know how to tell if these 14" rims will fit the car and not rub inside and top?

Does anyone know what the offset of the stock 13" are? I know they are 13"x4.5"

Thanks,

Your rims would have the small bolt pattern (4") if the car is all stock. Wheels are hard to find in that bolt pattern. By the way welcome to the forum coming from another Valiant owner. :hello2:

Hey, thanks. I thought my 13" rims were a 5 lug 4.25" pattern, but say it's 4"

I'm just starting out on this car. I have had an older car since high school (30yrs).

Stay tuned... I will be working on this car all summer.

Before you start yanking wheels off, check the center of the lug studs on the driver's side of the car. If there is an "L" in it, it means left-handed threads. Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey does not apply. In fact, it is the opposite. This was a regular Mopar feature on the A-body until 1973.

Options for trading wheels are limited on the 4" bolt pattern, but not too terribly difficult.

All disk brake cars used 14" wheels. Those from 1972 model year and earlier will have a 4" bolt pattern. This covers steelies and rallyes. 1973 and later /6 drum brake cars also use the 4" bolt pattern. This would be a potential source of steel wheels only. I think all Rallye wheels from 73 on were 4½" pattern wheels.

Reproduction rallye wheels are available from multiple vendors.
New Cragar SS wheels are out there.
Ansen Sprints were made for a while with a 4" bolt pattern. They occasionally turn up at swap meets and eBay.
The holy grail would be to find a set of the "Recall" wheels. These are cast wheels that were installed on a few '69 models and later recalled by Ma Mopar due to the potential for cracks in the bolt hole area.

Thanks 2Darts.

I will check the drivers studs and look for Ansen Sprints. More then anything I want to get at least 14" steel on it.

Yes, I understand about the width of the rim and 3" backspace is what I meant by offset. My confusion is on the 5 lug bolt pattern and it seems I have 5x4" pattern not 5x4.5" like most MOPAR cars.

Thanks,

I have the 5 x4 SBP on my '69 Dart (yes it had 13" wheels on it)!! Just put 15" Rallye wheels on it,15 x 7 front and 15 x 8 rear !! If I remember correctly,the rears are 235 60's,and yes cleaerance was too close for my liking so I put some 6 leaf springs on,and I think I'm going to be happy ! Just need to bring the front end up a little higher,that's all !!!

13 x 4.5, 14 x 4.5, and 14 x 5.5, all with close to 0 offset, where available on your Valiant. I assume you meant 3" backspace. The 14 x 6 will work well front or back. The 14 x 8 will be very tight or rub on the outside with any tire suitable for an 8" rim.
http://www.cragarwheel.com/wheels/?id=2&first=0&fid=2
John
I guess it depends on your definition of "close to 0". With a 3 1/2" backspacing from the factory, they're not exactly centerlines.

Before you start yanking wheels off, check the center of the lug studs on the driver's side of the car. If there is an "L" in it, it means left-handed threads. Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey does not apply. In fact, it is the opposite. This was a regular Mopar feature on the A-body until 1973.

Options for trading wheels are limited on the 4" bolt pattern, but not too terribly difficult.

All disk brake cars used 14" wheels. Those from 1972 model year and earlier will have a 4" bolt pattern. This covers steelies and rallyes. 1973 and later /6 drum brake cars also use the 4" bolt pattern. This would be a potential source of steel wheels only. I think all Rallye wheels from 73 on were 4½" pattern wheels.

Reproduction rallye wheels are available from multiple vendors.
New Cragar SS wheels are out there.
Ansen Sprints were made for a while with a 4" bolt pattern. They occasionally turn up at swap meets and eBay.
The holy grail would be to find a set of the "Recall" wheels. These are cast wheels that were installed on a few '69 models and later recalled by Ma Mopar due to the potential for cracks in the bolt hole area.
The LH threads ended at the end of the '70 production year.

Ok, that's what I need to hear. Just need to find 15" Rallye rims that are 5x4: pattern.

Thanks,

Jeff
You'll have to get new ones made or find someone willing to sell theirs as Chrysler never made them for the 4" bolt pattern. There are many companies that have them. There are companies that have chrome and mag wheels for them too. Check with Wheel Vintiques and Stockton Wheel.

hey,
i got a 1960 valiant v200 with 13" tires...im actually looking to change to 14" just to give me a LITTLE more speed factor without alot of modification. plus get me up a little higher off the ground lol.

There is a spot on ebay motors that has 15x4 alluminum wheels for 125 each shipped, all diffren twidths

Skip Stockton Wheels, they are out of business as of 3-31-11.

-
Back