Roadrunner or Not

-
Please read post 184. The SO & VIN sequence are 2 different animals. Anyone telling you they can tie the 2 together without the proper docs is just blowing smoke.

You are correct. The man at the Detroit office said they were two completely monsters. Am working with him directly to get this mess straightened out. We finally have a pretty weekend where I can pull the RR out and looks for the numbers. Am going to try to see the # on transmission housing as well.

Thanks for your help!

Diana - some of us here are not experts, but there are a lot of extremely knowledgeable enthusiasts here.

I am asking you to seriously look at the number of guys here telling you the same thing compared to the number of people you apparently talk to who are telling you something different.

Numbers dont lie, you probably have 25 people here urging you to do something about what is at best a bogus car but at worst stolen property, and perhaps 1 or 2 that you talk to elsewhere who say that your car is just the way Chrysler did things in 68.

See the forest for the trees, please be smart and clear this issue up sooner rather than later - if you plan on leaving the car to your heirs leave them a gift, not a mess to deal with.

My 2 cents

Excellent advice. Thank you. I just said that in the heated moment of my reply. Of course I care or I wouldn't have posted this concern. Pulling the RR out today (finally have a Sunny weekend) and looking for the SO #s on radiator support, in the trunk and the transmission # on the tranny.

Thank you, again, for all the excellent advice.

A 68 DOES NOT have the vin stamped in the rad support or trunk lip.

You are correct. The man I'm working with in Detroit says their is an 8 digit # stamped on the radiator support and in the trunk lid. Those numbers should match and do not have anything to do with the VIN # on the title.

Pulling the Mopar out today (we finally have some sunny weather) to take a looksie. He also told me to find the # on the bell housing plate on the tranny.

Wish me luck!

There are definitely enough flags raised to make it seem illegitimate. As stated above, if the paperwork and vehicle have been modified, it probably wasn't by someone that is well versed on Chrysler VIN coding. If we assume that the title is not original to the car then determining the motive behind the person that coupled the title with the car is crucial.

I'm glad that Diana's Dart chimed back in. I don't believe that anyone here wants them to lose their car. - Nor does anyone want it to be kept from the rightful owner if it turns out to be stolen.

We're all familiar with vehicles that have been cloned. It usually entails changing emblems, decals, hoods, and other options. Most people do it because it's a method of having the drive and feel of the car they've dreamt of but cannot afford. Messing around with titles and VIN numbers is more likely to be by someone less legitimate.

Aye, aye, aye. What a mess. Never a dull moment. Am working to clear up the mess.

Thanks so much for your advice and tips.

Hope to chime back in later with good news.

Unfortunately it may take Sherlock Holmes to find the origins of the bogus VIN. The difficulty is compounded by the fact that you really can't search for actual VINs or sequences of VINs unless you're with law enforcement. The super easy thing to do would be to drive it & if it was ever to be impounded then c'est la vie. It would be very sad if it was someone's pride & joy that was stolen like the 'Cuda story.

I know, I hate to think that I have someone's stolen pride and joy. Working on clearing up the mess and hoping for the best; oh, and saying prayers!

Did they even build B bodies in windsor for the 68 model year? C bodies yes, A bodies, yes

68 -70 RR's were only built at Lynch Road (A), St. Louis (G) and LA (E)

RM23F8R245761

A car, built at a factory that didn't produce them, was special ordered with a 318... OK.

The VIN on that car is totally fabricated. If the trunk and radiator stampings match the vin, it's a fabricated vin number. It's a fabbed vin based on a B body coming from windsor alone!

Very good point indeed! The title is obviously wrong as the stamping on the radiator support shows the car to be a 68 RR. Will search for the trunk lid # and tranny # today.

truth....

Diana, if you select the "quote" button in the lower right hand corner of someones post you can reply to them personally :D

the poly head 318 could be had in 66 chargers, coronets, trucks etc etc

Finally figured that out. Ooops.

sequence number wont tell you what kind of car it is. best thing to do is drive it and enjoy it. Its worth about the same $$ now because you have ether a nicely modified satellite, or a roadrunner that is missing to much of its documentation with a title that has mistakes.

I would hope it turns out to be a real runner and is just missing the VIN and needs the title corrected. I had a title corrected on my 41 Chrysler and it was easy. The Sheriff came out and verified the numbers then came back about a week later with paperwork that I turned in for a corrected title.

Very good point indeed! The title is obviously wrong as the stamping on the radiator support shows the car to be a 68 RR. Will search for the trunk lid # and tranny # today.

sequence number wont tell you what kind of car it is. best thing to do is drive it and enjoy it. Its worth about the same $$ now because you have ether a nicely modified satellite, or a roadrunner that is missing to much of its documentation with a title that has mistakes.

Exactly! There is NO WAY to make out what model car from the 8 digit number stamped in the trunk rail or rad support without other supporting docs. I may be mistaken, someone that worked high up in LE at one time told me there is a database with the SO numbers in it.

If it has a complete vin, it's a dirty deal. If the stamped numbers match your vin, it's a dirty deal.

Hope it works out for you, most of the buzzkill in this thread is spot on to question authenticity.

Exactly! There is NO WAY to make out what model car from the 8 digit number stamped in the trunk rail or rad support without other supporting docs. I may be mistaken, someone that worked high up in LE at one time told me there is a database with the SO numbers in it.

If it has a complete vin, it's a dirty deal. If the stamped numbers match your vin, it's a dirty deal.

Hope it works out for you, most of the buzzkill in this thread is spot on to question authenticity.

Since the car has a VIN # issued by the Dept of MV of California, local cops said it is good to go. We'll prolly never know what the car really was/is so going to enjoy it and not worry about it any longer.

I would hope it turns out to be a real runner and is just missing the VIN and needs the title corrected. I had a title corrected on my 41 Chrysler and it was easy. The Sheriff came out and verified the numbers then came back about a week later with paperwork that I turned in for a corrected title.

The numbers are very hard to read on both Rad Support, transmission and in the trunk. Looks like this is going to remain a mystery and is a real Whiskey Runner.

I sure do hope it's that simple! Left a message with the local tax office.

Thanks!

Since the car has a VIN # issued by the Dept of MV of California, local cops said it is good to go. We'll prolly never know what the car really was/is so going to enjoy it and not worry about it any longer.

Wait, so it has a California blue tag riveted on it as well? If it's got that and the title matches that number it's legal. Or at least it was at one point. You'll never know what it was as far as a RR or not though.

Should be a blue tag riveted onto the driver's side door jamb, and another on the driver's frame rail in front of the firewall. The number won't have anything to do with a standard mopar VIN # though, it should look something like DMVxxxxxCA.

Working directly with a man from Detroit to figure this out. I really appreciate those of you who had positive input.

Praying this works out for the best!

You are working with someone in Detriot to figure out how to post a picture of the VIN stampings? A picture of all the VIN stampings that you can see, will tell enough that the people that deal with Mopars can answer what you are looking to know.

Starting to think this thread is a bit of "fishing"........

Very good advice!

I think the problem still remains that if pulled over, there is no way to tie the registration with the car, there is no VIN tag to correlate the two! You may have a clear title in your name, but without that same number on a proper VIN tag, you risk the legal consequences of an astute cop actually following through with his duty, and not allowing the car to continue being driven, and confiscating it! May never happen, may happen tomorrow, that's the chance you take! Geof

I think the problem still remains that if pulled over, there is no way to tie the registration with the car, there is no VIN tag to correlate the two! You may have a clear title in your name, but without that same number on a proper VIN tag, you risk the legal consequences of an astute cop actually following through with his duty, and not allowing the car to continue being driven, and confiscating it! May never happen, may happen tomorrow, that's the chance you take! Geof

If it actually had a California issued ID# and the number matches the title there should be at least two different California ID tags permanently attached to the car. On my car that has this they're on the door jamb and the front frame rail.

Even out of state that should be more than enough confirmation for a traffic stop.

I can get a CA title to the Mesquite tree in my front yard... :)

-
Back