Roadrunner or Not

-
hidden numbers were not the vin in 68 that didn't start until 69. They matched the SO number from the build sheet and fender tag. Without any of that documentation it cant be proven that it matches to anything. Only thing the hidden numbers will show is the SPD, Year, factory and the SO numbers. This is not the vin maybe a very late production might have a VIN but I doubt it. As stated only engines avail for RR in 68 were 383 and Hemi. The only way you could get a VIN would be a state issued one. As far as fender tag goes no one will touch it without documentation to support it.
I would, Like the Iron Maiden song - Run for the Hills.

I would never buy a car for any amount if the car had no V.I.N.
And for that matter, broadcast it all over the internet for everyone to see.
Sucks to be you.

In North Carolina if a car is over 35 years old and purchased out of the state of North Carolina, it has to go thru a DMV inspection. They will issue you tags and registration for the car and give you the paper work for the the DMV inspection, you have one year to have the car inspected, if you do not get it inspected, they pull the tags and registration. My last car came from out of state, it took them about 10 minutes to inspect the car. He checked the vin on the dash, went under the hood, next he was in the trunk and then he was inside the car. Then he tells me everything is ok and prints me out a paper showing it had been inspected, a few weeks went by and the title shows up. It was kind of a pain in the rear-end, but it is nice to know everything was ok. They are trying to change the law now to include all cars over 35 years old, not just the ones purchased out of state.

IF it were 69 or newer the vin or partial vin would be in the hidden locations. This is a 68 there are no hidden vin's. The numbers on the core support and trunk lip correspond to the fender tag and not the title or vin. If no vin tag, fender tag and or build sheet... there is nothing.
To take this to DMV or police to check or reissue a vin there is a chance they will seize your vehicle.

In North Carolina if a car is over 35 years old and purchased out of the state of North Carolina, it has to go thru a DMV inspection. They will issue you tags and registration for the car and give you the paper work for the the DMV inspection, you have one year to have the car inspected, if you do not get it inspected, they pull the tags and registration. My last car came from out of state, it took them about 10 minutes to inspect the car. He checked the vin on the dash, went under the hood, next he was in the trunk and then he was inside the car. Then he tells me everything is ok and prints me out a paper showing it had been inspected, a few weeks went by and the title shows up. It was kind of a pain in the rear-end, but it is nice to know everything was ok. They are trying to change the law now to include all cars over 35 years old, not just the ones purchased out of state.

IF it were 69 or newer the vin or partial vin would be in the hidden locations. This is a 68 there are no hidden vin's. The numbers on the core support and trunk lip correspond to the fender tag and not the title or vin. If no vin tag, fender tag and or build sheet... there is nothing.
To take this to DMV or police to check or reissue a vin there is a chance they will seize your vehicle.

That's the crux of the problem. Assuming that Diana's Dart is an honest person, her and her husband are in a precarious position just the same. I would guess they paid a good amount of money for the car. One of the last things they want to happen is to have it taken from them.

I would suggest that they do their best to make the person that sold it to them provide documented proof of the car's history. I wouldn't contact legal authorities yet. The risk of ending up with nothing except a large hole in your pocketbook is too great. I would take steps to protect myself while being careful.
Hopefully the seller isn't a dangerous person and they shouldn't put themselves at risk.

It may sound as though this is over-reacting to a situation that may end up being nothing more than a VIN tag lost during a restoration. But when a large sum of money is involved caution should be exercised if you don't know the other party.

I'd start checking to see if the car had the holes for the chrome trim along the tops of the fenders, doors, and quarter panels that a Satellite would have had. At least that might possibly rule it out as being a Satellite. If there is no evidence of those holes, then it could be a Belvedere or a Road Runner.

I don't think so, no vin no numbers sounds like a stolen car.

Dang..... If you have the title you should contact an independent car registration place and have them research it out. If its not stolen get a re pop made of the Vin on the title and be on down the road with it. Getting insurance and actually registering it would be a problem in just about any state with what you have going on.

That is a sharp looking car regardless.

Hope the OP isn't swinging from a tree.

If you paid to much then go back to the guys who sold it and see if he will renegotiate. If not then lawyer up or tuck your tail and move on.

There are worse things in life than buying a hot rod that's not exactly what it was supposed to be. If you keep it then just drive it and don't get hung up on labels.

Take the stickers off and call it a MOPAR or a Plymouth B Body or whatever. It's still a nice hot rod and if you don't care nobody else will either.

I'm not up on my b bodies, how does anyone know it is or isn't a '68?

Looks like the perfect canidate for a race car to me. You may not be able to get it on the street but you can get it on a track.

I'm not up on my b bodies, how does anyone know it is or isn't a '68?

It has all the makings of a 68, grill , side markers etc. But without a vin posted nobody really knows. And the vin on the title may not even belong to that car

EVERY car manufactured since 1968 must have a dash VIN per federal law. You shouldn't even drive that thing, any stop by the cops could/ probably would result in their seizing the car. You have a parts car at best, stolen property at worst. The title doesn't mean squat.

-
Back