Rock Island Armory 1911 Officers Model

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Since I've been busting my butt I've had a few spare bucks to pick myself up a new CCW piece. I have been using a 2 1/2" barreled Taurus 650CIA 5 shot .357 magnum, but I've found that after 5 shots of BHA (Black Hills Ammunition) heavy loads that it heats up and becomes balky with the long double action trigger pull. It'll do the same with premium .38 special loads after two cylinder fulls (ten rounds). The other problem is that the cylinder gets tight and empty shells won't drop free after about ten shots and no speedloader is availible that fits right either.

On the other hand, the Tarus is far more accurate then I ever expected any snubbie to be for the first five shots but after that, the trigger pull is severely affected due to cylinder bind. The sights are really pretty good for what it is and it certainly goes "bang" every time you pull the trigger ALL THE WAY BACK. Good Lord that DA trigger pull is long. It's so long that only a "tea cup" grip with two hands will allow a full pull with my index finger.

So, after living with this sucker for a while (300 rounds) I now concede with my CCW trainer. I needed a bigger pistol, lol. .38 spl in the little Taurus is easy and I shot 100 rounds today, .357 magnums isn't horrible but I'd have to adjust my second hand (left) every time. BTW, I like recoil, it's fun. :-D If it didn't recoil I wouldn't want it, but .357 mags in that little sucker I can only grip with two fingers is....ahem....punishing. I used to hold firecrackers in my hand and let them go off when i was a stupid kid. Felt like a moderate two pound dead blow hammer hit. The taurus feels like that with the BHA 158 gr. .357 mag stuff! I can actually tolerate about 20 rounds of that but the damn thing siezes after about 15 rounds.

Now you know why I decided to go with another firearm to cover my one and only life. My first thought was the Glock model 23 in .40 SW. I had one years ago and I was always very accurate with that piece but concealabilty would be a major concern. I went to the local big gun show with a fellow enthusiast and CCW holder and I scoped out some 23's as well as some Springfield Armory's XDs. All great pistols but nothing really floated my boat until I saw the venerable M1911-A1 in a 4" barrel. Slim, easily concealable and all steel! Yes this was it! I tried a bunch of plastic compacts but the mag would never drop free of my meaty hand. I asked if their was a shorter barreled model and sure enough, they had an officers model. 3.5" barell. I grabbed it full on and the mag dropped clear. "Perfect!" I thought, but I was not quite ready to pull the trigger yet (pardon the pun). I never heard of RIA and it was made in the Phillipeines.

Time to do some research. I found that these pistols are made under the Armscor brand and support is right here in AZ. After more research I found that these things have had stellar reviews with the exception of the odd idiot who handloaded with taper crimp (the .45 ACP headspaces on the cartridge rim) or used sub-standard 2 dollar mags from a gun show. OK, cool. Let's give it a shot (pun intended). I found a local dealer who would order one for 445 plus tax and CBI check included. Perfect!

3 business days later the guy called me and I went to pick it up. The first thing he told me is that he now going to carry the complete line after checking mine out and that I was the "guinea pig", lol. He also said that his gunsmith (who builds his and his business partners race guns) that these were great "Builder" guns. Cool. I'm feeling good about this purchase now...

Well, I got it home and promptly disassembled it to find...... no issues! I never fire a new firearm without a cleaning and I always find crap where it shouldn't be, but other than the barrel needed a good cleaning and it was way over-oiled, it seemed good to go. The only suprise I had is that it was advertised and documented to have a 6 round magazine. I recieved mine with a 7 round "ACT-Mag". Rockin'!

Off to the range I went and promptly ripped through 100 rounds of Remington 230 gr. ball. Zero FTE (Failures To Eject) or FTF (Failures To Fire). The mag dropped free every time and the complaint I have is that the sights suck, lol. That tiny little black blade front sight has got to go. Wilson Combat Tritium 3 dots are on the grocery list.

While I was at the range I thought I would fire both the Taurus and the RIA. The Taurus is about right on point of aim but the RIA shot low and to the right. At first I thought the Taurus was more accurate, but after analysing the targets I brought home, the RIA really printed more one hole groups than the Taurus did, the Taurus was just more centered on the bull. The RIA trigger pull has some creep and feels a bit mushy but really doesn't need to be any lighter for a CCW weapon. I feel that I can crisp it up some with a WC hammer and sear.

In conclusion, thw RIA is a bit heavier but I have 3 more shots with a bulllet 1/3 larger and almost twice as heavy. The .45 ACP is a man stopper and every automatic cartrige developed since aspires to be what Mr. Browning designed so many years ago. I thought there would be a giant learning curve in regards to the operation and ergonomics of a 1911, but that turned out to be a falsism. John Browing was a genius and knew exactly what he was doing when he drew this pistol up so many years ago. Everything is exactly where it needs to be. It is a combat weapon extraordinaire :read2:

P.S. The Taurus is a great "nightstand" gun with much better accuracy than I expected, but the machine work sucks compared to the RIA although the surface finish and buleing is very well done. The sights are also better than the RIA out of box. JMHO.

Ramcharger, ahhh it's nice to see you finally "saw the light" and went to a 1911!:cheers: Not that I'm partial to them or anything!:-D I only own 4 of them... so far. Have not had any experience with RIA, but I would be more likely to give them a chance after hearing your review. I am stuck carrying an M9 over here:angry7: Anyway thanks for the review and I hope you get a lot of service out of the RIA piece.

1911's Rule! It's amazing how much is out there in the aftermarket for those guns, and how much you can do with them. I won't carry anything else if I have a choice.

Totally off-topic addition: I'm the first to admit I don't know $&*! about guns :-D but the Rock Island Armory is about a mile from where I grew up. Very cool place!

Great write up Joe!

Ramcharger, ahhh it's nice to see you finally "saw the light" and went to a 1911!:cheers: Not that I'm partial to them or anything!:-D I only own 4 of them... so far. Have not had any experience with RIA, but I would be more likely to give them a chance after hearing your review. I am stuck carrying an M9 over here:angry7: Anyway thanks for the review and I hope you get a lot of service out of the RIA piece.

I'm guessing that you are in active service. Let me be the first to give you a big "Thank You". :cheers: I would think that they would let you carry what you needed to stay as well protected as our troops were from WWI through Vietnam but then again, it is the government, lol.

You are very welcome for the review and if anything crops up over time, good or bad, I'll add to it. It seems to be a great starter gun for anyone contemplating entry into the 1911 world. I resisted getting one of these for years and years believing all the hoo haa about how old fashioned, heavy and unsafe they are. I didn't know what I was missing.

1911's Rule! It's amazing how much is out there in the aftermarket for those guns, and how much you can do with them. I won't carry anything else if I have a choice.

No joke, the aftermarket is rife with spring kits, hammer and sear kits, sights of every concievable configuration, backstrap kits, premium barrels, match triggers, etc., etc.. I don't think that there is a single part that can't be replaced with a upgraded part that promises better accuracy, handling or reliability.

Totally off-topic addition: I'm the first to admit I don't know $&*! about guns :-D but the Rock Island Armory is about a mile from where I grew up. Very cool place!

Great write up Joe!

Thanks Leanna! Just imagine the write up your VC's are going to get when they arrive. :toothy10:

BTW, are you thinking of the Springfield Armory in IL?

I'm guessing that you are in active service. Let me be the first to give you a big "Thank You". :cheers: I would think that they would let you carry what you needed to stay as well protected as our troops were from WWI through Vietnam but then again, it is the government, lol.

You are very welcome for the review and if anything crops up over time, good or bad, I'll add to it. It seems to be a great starter gun for anyone contemplating entry into the 1911 world. I resisted getting one of these for years and years believing all the hoo haa about how old fashioned, heavy and unsafe they are. I didn't know what I was missing.

No joke, the aftermarket is rife with spring kits, hammer and sear kits, sights of every concievable configuration, backstrap kits, premium barrels, match triggers, etc., etc.. I don't think that there is a single part that can't be replaced with a upgraded part that promises better accuracy, handling or reliability.

Thanks Leanna! Just imagine the write up your VC's are going to get when they arrive. :toothy10:

Those 1911's are great but for a better bang I likey my Ruger 6 inch 44 mag...

IMG00088-20101106-0159.jpg

without those Pachmeyer grips that F er would want to fly out of my hand...Plus it used to hurt my hand...wooden skinny grips were thrown in the trash..

hmmm no picture of the 1911? I need to have my 1911 fixed but other then that, I LOVE MY 1911 was going to be my CCW gun but I picked up a beretta for that

This is my bed gun and though friends tell me it will become a collectors piece if I don't fire it which at my age makes no sense, it will not stop me from using it to protect mine. Its a Smith & Wesson and fairly lite-weight
Aug09012.jpg

For a concealed weapon I carry a can of Wasp spray which can shoot a 10 foot spray deadlier then mace or pepper

... Thanks Leanna! Just imagine the write up your VC's are going to get when they arrive. :toothy10:

Nope, it's the Rock Island Armory. I was born in Moline, Illinois which is right next to Rock Island. The Armory is right on the Mississippi River and, at the time (maybe still does), had a parking lot with a big cement wall on the river side that overlooked the locks. My dad would take us there in the evenings sometimes where we'd sit on the wall and watch the big boats go through. Moved to Colorado when I was 14 and haven't seen it since.

Oh, almost forgot. I missed the UPS guy during both of his runs on Friday. It was one of those days.

After 3 months with this pistol I am very, very happy. Never a fail to fire, feed or eject with the factory mag. I did have some issues with some new Wilson mags but that was solved with the addition of a 22# spring and breaking in the mags per Wilson Combats reccomendations. The 22# springs also solved an issue where the ejected shells were whacking me in the forehead, lol.

So far I've been through 1000 rounds. I had two failures to feed early on which were solved per the above changes and ripped through 200 rounds last weekend with zero issues. It's much more accurate than i would have expected, but does need some better sights.

After shooting hand guns for 25 years I also just found out I'm left eye dominant. My groups closed up by a factor of 2 by switching eyes.

BTW, nice 1911's guys! (drool, drool!)

Left eye dominant? Do you fire left or right handed? Being a lefty I had to ask. Plus the comment about being whacked in the forehead brought back loving memories of my old ***** M-16.

Glad to see you got away from the Taurus, I have yet to hear anything good about them. For shooting every week I usually use my 1923 S&W model 10 38spl revolver, incredibly accurate, never jams the casings with heat and is a fantastic all around gun. The only problem is it's a little big for conceal carry.... I have my permit and do carry it on occasion but today I finally went and bought a true carry gun. I bought a S&W bodyguard 380 with the built in laser.
I am waiting for it to come in as they had to order it because it's so popular. Nice thing too is after tax etc... I was out the door for less then $400.

Here are the specs
# Caliber: .380 Auto
# Capacity: 6+1 Rounds
# Barrel Length: 2.75" / 7.0 cm
# Frame Size: Compact
# Action: Double Action Only (Hammer Fired)
# Front Sight: Stainless Steel
# Rear Sight: Drift Adjustable
# Grip: Polymer
# Overall Length: 5.25" / 13.3 cm
# Weight: 11.85 oz / 335.9 g
# Frame Material: Polymer
# Material: Stainless Steel w/Melonite® Finish
# Finish: Matte Black

I am normally a wheel gun kinda guy but the bodyguard 38spl +p was a bit more and a little bit heavier. Anyway nice choice you made

-Ross-

Attachments

• bodyguard380.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 951
My first pistol I ever shot was a Crossman 1911 single pump BB gun. Pull the slide back and it shot, pull the slide back and push it back in, and it really shot! But neither could stick a BB in a stale cake donut at 20 feet, let alone hit it consistantly. Second was a real USMC issue M1911A1 in Infantry Training School. I swear that 1911 was made in 1911...The barrel was so loose you could stick your finger in it and rattle it about 1/16 of an inch in every direction! I shot sharpshooter, 1 short of expert with that relic and every 4th round "stove piped" or didnt eject cleanly, hanging up in the port sticking straight up, giving me a "buy" for every rapid fire round. Im suprised I scored that high, with only 50 rounds of familiarization firing in the morning, chow and then qualifying. I fired the M9 much later when it came into service and it was like shooting a cap gun, extremely docile, comfortable grip and better sights. If anyone can go "unc" with that pea shooter, they dont deserve the Eagle, Globe and Anchor!
2 days before I got out, my roommate still owed me 100 bucks for getting him a lockout in his car, and all he could do was give me his piece. I took it sight unseen only to find out it was a prestine S&W model 29 .44 mag with a 8 3/8 barrel, lined case, 2 speedloaders, Pachmayr grips and a full box of Remingtons. Not bad for a $100 marker. I sold it to the UPS guy for 3 bills as I had no paperwork, never fired it.

my friend is going to let me shoot his 1911 tomorrow morning since i havnt shot one yet... my two favs so far is a star 9mm from spain and a ruger mark II. currently i own a taurus 24/7 .45 and my GF owns a taurus 738 tcp .380.

everyone i know that has a 1911 raves about those pistols... i guess i might have to trade up. i also like the glock model 22 .40, i would have it but i got a deal on the taurus 24/7

So after three months are you gonna show a pic of the damn thing or not?

I am a true 1911 fan. I have owned 5 of them and currently own two. My carry pistol changed three years ago. I said I would never own a SA XD model. Well after two years of debating, I broke down and bought a SA XD sub compact .45 and I absolutely love it. IMO it is an updated and refined 1911, not that the 1911's needed any refining. Springfield Arms nailed it when they made the XD!

I am a true 1911 fan. I have owned 5 of them and currently own two. My carry pistol changed three years ago. I said I would never own a SA XD model. Well after two years of debating, I broke down and bought a SA XD sub compact .45 and I absolutely love it. IMO it is an updated and refined 1911, not that the 1911's needed any refining. Springfield Arms nailed it when they made the XD!

You can say that again. My carry is a XD40 and I have a XD9 V10 (ported). My one and only 1911 is a SA also!

100_1247.jpg

DSCF2379.jpg

Those 1911's are great but for a better bang I likey my Ruger 6 inch 44 mag...

IMG00088-20101106-0159.jpg

without those Pachmeyer grips that F er would want to fly out of my hand...Plus it used to hurt my hand...wooden skinny grips were thrown in the trash..

must be a houston thing. mines a 7 inch.

Attachments

• DSC00092 (Medium).JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 861
Left eye dominant? Do you fire left or right handed? Being a lefty I had to ask. Plus the comment about being whacked in the forehead brought back loving memories of my old ***** M-16.

I'm a righty, which explains why no one could ever shoot my rifles after I adjusted the sights. :mrgreen:

Getting hit in the head with a hot shell casing is, as you know, incredibly distracting. Man, I have a AR-15 derivative I can't even imagine shooting that lefty.

Glad to see you got away from the Taurus, I have yet to hear anything good about them. For shooting every week I usually use my 1923 S&W model 10 38spl revolver, incredibly accurate, never jams the casings with heat and is a fantastic all around gun. The only problem is it's a little big for conceal carry.... I have my permit and do carry it on occasion but today I finally went and bought a true carry gun. I bought a with the built in laser.
I am waiting for it to come in as they had to order it because it's so popular. Nice thing too is after tax etc... I was out the door for less then $400.

Here are the specs
# Caliber: .380 Auto
# Capacity: 6+1 Rounds
# Barrel Length: 2.75" / 7.0 cm
# Frame Size: Compact
# Action: Double Action Only (Hammer Fired)
# Front Sight: Stainless Steel
# Rear Sight: Drift Adjustable
# Grip: Polymer
# Overall Length: 5.25" / 13.3 cm
# Weight: 11.85 oz / 335.9 g
# Frame Material: Polymer
# Material: Stainless Steel w/Melonite® Finish
# Finish: Matte Black

I am normally a wheel gun kinda guy but the bodyguard 38spl +p was a bit more and a little bit heavier. Anyway nice choice you made

-Ross-

Thanks Ross. I'm really more of a revolver guy too but this 1911 really changed my mind. I should've known about the Taurus. My bro in law bought one about 20 years ago and the first trip the range the rear sight fell off and the ramp for the cylinder pin looked liked it was done by a 12 year old with a dremel. Meh, I just might throw it my fishing tackle box. I do have to admit that it is accurate though. It's a last ditch, 5 shot gun.

My first pistol I ever shot was a Crossman 1911 single pump BB gun. Pull the slide back and it shot, pull the slide back and push it back in, and it really shot! But neither could stick a BB in a stale cake donut at 20 feet, let alone hit it consistantly. Second was a real USMC issue M1911A1 in Infantry Training School. I swear that 1911 was made in 1911...The barrel was so loose you could stick your finger in it and rattle it about 1/16 of an inch in every direction! I shot sharpshooter, 1 short of expert with that relic and every 4th round "stove piped" or didnt eject cleanly, hanging up in the port sticking straight up, giving me a "buy" for every rapid fire round. Im suprised I scored that high, with only 50 rounds of familiarization firing in the morning, chow and then qualifying. I fired the M9 much later when it came into service and it was like shooting a cap gun, extremely docile, comfortable grip and better sights. If anyone can go "unc" with that pea shooter, they dont deserve the Eagle, Globe and Anchor!
2 days before I got out, my roommate still owed me 100 bucks for getting him a lockout in his car, and all he could do was give me his piece. I took it sight unseen only to find out it was a prestine S&W model 29 .44 mag with a 8 3/8 barrel, lined case, 2 speedloaders, Pachmayr grips and a full box of Remingtons. Not bad for a $100 marker. I sold it to the UPS guy for 3 bills as I had no paperwork, never fired it.

Nice deal on the M29!!!!!! Man, I can't tell you how many stories I've heard about old rattle trap 1911's. These things probably have 20k+ rounds through them though.

my friend is going to let me shoot his 1911 tomorrow morning since i havnt shot one yet... my two favs so far is a star 9mm from spain and a ruger mark II. currently i own a taurus 24/7 .45 and my GF owns a taurus 738 tcp .380.

everyone i know that has a 1911 raves about those pistols... i guess i might have to trade up. i also like the glock model 22 .40, i would have it but i got a deal on the taurus 24/7

Did you get to shoot the 1911?

must be a houston thing. mines a 7 inch.
Nope not a Houston thing...just alot of crack heads around here...I carry my Ruger security six 357 magnum in the glove box of my Dart...that's so If someone want's to car jack me...:mrgreen:

Did you get to shoot the 1911?

why yes... yes i did like 30minutes after you posted this :)it was nice, very nice i think i might have to go get one soon. it had a recoil spring mod..he called it something else but i might try to do that with my taurus...

here is a pic of my .45 and my GF's .380

2011-02-14_16-50-27_934.jpg

Nope not a Houston thing...just alot of crack heads around here...I carry my Ruger security six 357 magnum in the glove box of my Dart...that's so If someone want's to car jack me...:mrgreen:

Ruger p89 is the truck gun. I know what you mean. Theres parts of Houston I wont drive thru unarmed.

Attachments

• today 048 (Medium).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 782
  • today 050 (Medium).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 776
-
Back