rod side clearance.

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Wondering what the max side clearance is. I think I might be a tide "wide". Have .022, snugged, not torqued.

Extra splash, run it.
let's hear what the crank end play is.
Depending on what rods and so forth you're playing with, you might try switching them around and maybe get some or most a lil tighter.

I would run it just make sure you run a high volume high pressure pump to compensate for the extra spillage.

Extra splash, run it.
let's hear what the crank end play is.
Depending on what rods and so forth you're playing with, you might try switching them around and maybe get some or most a lil tighter.

Extra splash and more work for the oil rings to control excess oil on cylinder walls.....not saying it WILL be a smoker but it a possibility, just something to think about.

If possible, check the thickness of the base of your rods. If they were cleaned up and possibly side ground or the crank was cut wrong you can have that effect.
If this is a stock rebuild with just new bearings and rings.... did you measure wrong? No judgement... just asking.
That is one of those measurements you have to get it all together before you can check.

Joe

And this is one easy place to make a mistake. You were measuring between the rods right? This is, or can be, very tricky; since the feeler, if too fat likes to spread the rods.Then it fits at the top, but jams when approaching the crank.
If you are measuring after the short block is assembled and the engine is upside down on the engine-stand, then this is less of a problem. Certain rods have to be installed in certain directions.
But you probably know all that.

Connecting rod side clearance ain't critical.

Exactly. You could have .060 and you wouldn't know it. Neither would the rest of the engine. Oil flow though the rods is controlled by bearing clearance and the viscosity of the oil.

NOTHING ELSE.

Run that biotch.
You and Rusty both ALWAYS Crack me up. Simple and right to the point. I never believed that side clearance has anything to do with oil pressure. BUT, was worried about noise or some weird harmonics.

Don't believe in the HV pumps. I always run a MV72 and add the higher pressure spring. I think I'll play around a bit with rods.....don't think the Scats are gonna be much different though.

Just got my girdle all fitted (I know) and checked between 1 pair real quick like. Definitely will give it a better look at assembly time but more than likely I will do as suggested and run the biotch.

In all honesty, that's the 1 thing I don't have written anywhere on my buildsheet for the motor I ran all summer. I don't think I checked it!

Side clearance is nothing I really worry about if it's wide. Tight's not going to work but no issues with loose. You won't have noise.
IMO if the mains were honed and the block square decked there is nothing to worry about. If those weren't done, you've got very little to worry about.

I know what you mean, but others might not and might assume "tighter than a knats ***" is ok for clearance.

Yeah well.......There is a lot in my posts that I fail to say simply because I take common sense for granted. Maybe I should not.

Yeah. You Guys are right. Called my machinist today and he said if ya have .010, you're good. Don't worry if it's wide.
Believe me, everything done. I've said it before but I got lucky and found a genius a few years ago.

Yeah. You Guys are right. Called my machinist today and he said if ya have .010, you're good. Don't worry if it's wide.
Believe me, everything done. I've said it before but I got lucky and found a genius a few years ago.[/QUOTE

It's good you found a machinist who you get along with. That's almost as important as his ability to do machine work. And his trustworthiness.

Don't worry over this if your bearing clearance is good. FYI, the side clearance for new SCAT rods right out of the box on a standard SBM crank journal is around .025"....no problems.

Exactly what I'm running. All new. Checked them tonite again and got .022 to .025.

Same for us. If you look at the SCAT rod big end width spec, and compare to the standard journal width, around .025" clearance is what you will compute.

-
Back