Rod's 71 Barracuda

-
All those other things that get in the way! I'm needing to replace the water pump in the Dart. The upcoming single digits are way below what it is protected to after diluting it from the leakage. So.... drain it, add more coolant or do the darn job... Mama was really good to me so I may just put the juice in and spend the time with her.... Cuda is looking great! I hope to get more done on mine.... Someday!

I would sure be tempted to at least mini tub it with it already down to that....

So I am putting a water pump in my daughter's 2002 40th edition Grand Prix....get down to the last bolt on the pump and the power steering pump pulley is in the way.

Off comes the alternator, off comes the tension pulley bracket (which of course breaks the plastic 90 degree elbow for the heater hose which means a trip to O Reilly's), off comes the power steering pump.

All this to get to one bolt.....

weather report for BenDrinkin: better run to the store for groceries and beer ( or your favorite beverage!) sounds nasty for w. Tx.!!!

here n Mo. we will just get rain, snow to N, and ice to west by 50-75 mi. 6-10 in rain by noon MON. a thunder cloud went by while ago, rained for 10 min HARDER than I have EVER seen! that's sayin somethin! ha

nice cuda. I gave up on E bodies 35 years ago!

weather report for BenDrinkin: better run to the store for groceries and beer ( or your favorite beverage!) sounds nasty for w. Tx.!!!

here n Mo. we will just get rain, snow to N, and ice to west by 50-75 mi. 6-10 in rain by noon MON. a thunder cloud went by while ago, rained for 10 min HARDER than I have EVER seen! that's sayin somethin! ha

nice cuda. I gave up on E bodies 35 years ago!

It's been about 35 years since I owned my 71 340 cuda in high school. Had a 70 Challenger after that, but it has been around 30 since then. Had my 69 383-s for 25 years, had to sell to fund this project.

Did you use all AMD metal?
This 71 340 cuda I bought is my first ebody. So its all new to me. I take it best stick with AMD? BTW I feel for you having too turn wrenches on your daughters car just to get it up and running again is no fun. I am sure you would rather be working on your car! Hope your working in a heated garage at least?? good luck

Did you use all AMD metal?
This 71 340 cuda I bought is my first ebody. So its all new to me. I take it best stick with AMD? BTW I feel for you having too turn wrenches on your daughters car just to get it up and running again is no fun. I am sure you would rather be working on your car! Hope your working in a heated garage at least?? good luck

Yes, I have used all AMD metal. I have been happy with AMD. I replaced the trunk gutters and trunk braces as well even though the pieces were usable. I will sell them later I guess.

No, I do a lot of my work outside in the driveway because my two car garage has my son's 67 notch back one side and my 71 is not movable right now. I have six kids from 16-28 that all need me to keep their cars running, so I keep busy. It saves them a ton of money and I get gift cards to take my wife out to dinner. Pretty cheap labor costs for them!

Yes, I have used all AMD metal. I have been happy with AMD. I replaced the trunk gutters and trunk braces as well even though the pieces were usable. I will sell them later I guess.

No, I do a lot of my work outside in the driveway because my two car garage has my son's 67 notch back one side and my 71 is not movable right now. I have six kids from 16-28 that all need me to keep their cars running, so I keep busy. It saves them a ton of money and I get gift cards to take my wife out to dinner. Pretty cheap labor costs for them!

6 kids? God bless you!
I'm amazed you have time for your car!
I don't have 6 kids , I have 1. But I'm the guy everyone calls up and needs my help, so I can relate to you being the "mechanic". :prayer:

Rolling Barracuda.jpg
It has been awhile since I posted a picture, but my car is now a roller.

Last edited:
Mines not a roller yet, but I have the quarters about 7/8 of the way on. The wheel lip is giving me fits. Seems like no matter how many times you mock it up, something is different each time it goes back on. Fortunately, (or not) it ain't coming off again.

I understand completely about fitting differently every time. I had the same issues. I have not welded in the tail panel yet. It fits good. I am going to do some prep body work in the trunk without the tail panel in so I can reach into the trunk easier.

Update on the progress of my 71. It was 65 degrees today in Amarillo, nice day to spray some primer on my rear quarters and inside my trunk.

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

-
Back