Roller cam "conversion kit " 340 LA ??

-

brasil

Reaction score
Hello Guys...

next week I will start to tear my 340 LA apart... so while doing this, I am thinking about a CAM change also...I would like to go with a roller cam...so I did a search in the www.... but it is difficult to find a "ROLLER CAM CONVERSION KIT " for my 1973 340 LA engine...did I miss something... ? I know there are kits for a 351 W Ford ( for example ... ) or a Chevy..
but who makes such a kit for the 340 LA ??
If someone has a advise... please let me know

Thank you

Greetings Juergen

Any company that sells camshafts.....you will need a roller cam...roller lifters...new pushrods...new valve springs...and probably retainers...
Then if you are using cast iron heads depending on which cam and springs you get...the inner seat of the springs will need to be machined for dual springs...

now if you are looking for one giant kit with everything in one box...good luck....best to do is call cam company...comp ..crane..lunati or hughes engines..and order everything from them...or go to one of the engine builders on this site and have them package it for you....Brian at IMM or Mike at MLR...

you are dealing with a mopar...nothing is easy...and being in Germany is not going to make it any easier...LOL

Perhaps the question is more of what Mod's must be done with a roller cam?
The differences between a solid roller and Hyd. roller cam being installed into a 340 block?

Does the block absolutely require Mod's to run a roller cam?

this may be pointless, but the cheapest way to go roller is to get a 360 mag. If LA is a must, get a 89-92 LA360. Save the 340, it's value just grows.

@ AJ/Form S Yes I am the HighCompresion guy

Next week I want to tear the engine apart .. and so I was also thinking about a cam change... ( I know first step will be the examination of all the stuff I have right now ) but as you know...I live in Germany
so the shipping time is a factor also.

@ all.... yes I know ..dealing with MOPARS can be a funny game sometimes... I found a article in the HOD ROD MAGAZINE about a CRANE CAM Roller Kit ...for LA engines... but the writeup was from the year 2000... so perhaps they don´t make the KIT anymore..

And yes, perhaps the first question should have been : What kind of modifications have to be made for a roller cam...

Greetings Juergen

Often the pushrod holes in the heads need to be machined for clearance. Only way you'll know for sure is when you start assembling it.
You'll need to remove the heads to install the roller lifters. So it might make sense to do the pushrod hole modifications at that time.

The aftermarket roller lifters such as the ones sold by Hughes do not require any block machining.

It would be nice to hear for someone that converted a LA to a roller.

Check with Mike at B3 racing engines he helped me doing my 340 roller engine.

It's a lot more work than I figured . Hopefully in the next month I can get the engine in and running, I'm using Holley fuel injection with the roller motor for a good cruiser.

roller lifters usually need a deeper lifter bore as OEM lifters will "window" at lift meaning the oil band will become exposed and oil pressure will be very low. You could bush them taller for OEM rollers and the spider retention but I dont know what is involved. Retro-roller kits will include solid body lifters, captive tie-bars, and a matching roller cam. No need for a bronze distributor drive if you are not running a Billet cam as most roller cams nowadays are iron cores. If you have the chance to go mechanical roller, thats the ticket as there is not much more needed besides mechanical rockers but many already have some sort of roller rockers already.

I used the lunati 20200713k . Everthing worked fine , i paid about $600 for the kit but i see they are around $900 now.

I bought mine from Mike at B3 Racing Engine I think it was $1050.00 with everything including the geometry kit.

the lunati cams ....are looking good . around 650 USD . But the lift looks a little high ? 0.505 /0515
will this be a problem ? I want touse 1.5 Ratio rockers... Also my engine should be used as a Daily Driver..... so the 20200711k kit should be o.k for my set up.... the converter is stock 2200 rpm and the rear end is a 3.23 Ratio with 225/60/15 tires...

Greetings Juergen

BTW.... who is Mike ? B 3 Racing ?? Never heard about.....

wow... so when I buy a set of these Hughes Lifters...I can use any roller camshaft... Lunati Comp Cam or others ?? This would be the best investment ( in my opinion )

Greetings Juergen

Any roller lifter will work with and roller cam. The thing about roller lifters as mentioned earlier is the oil band can be lifted above the top of the lifter bore.

Mike of B3 racing. He is mostly on MoPars.com. IIRC, I think! He came here once an posted up something.

Look into him. Very nice and helpful Mopar man.

Any roller lifter will work with and roller cam. The thing about roller lifters as mentioned earlier is the oil band can be lifted above the top of the lifter bore.

Mike of B3 racing. He is mostly on MoPars.com. IIRC, I think! He came here once an posted up something.

Look into him. Very nice and helpful Mopar man.
Ah c'mon rumble. I've been here more than once.:D I just don't get a lot of free time anymore, here or on Moparts.

BTW, the lifters I sell are the same as Hughes sells. Very few companies make their own stuff. I do make my own geometry kits though.

@ B3RE you are Mike ...right ?
so I can probably buy the parts I need for my engine from you ? I am planing to change the x Heads I have to aluminium heads from RAPOM ( I can get the heads here in Germany from the MOPARSHOP.de ) but all the other parts I will buy in the US...
beside the heads.. I need a Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake...and the roller cam "Kit ".. perhaps the timingchain set ( because my Timing Chain is a 1 BOLT Spoket set )..
Greetings Juergen

P.S do you have a WEB SIDE ??

@ B3RE you are Mike ...right ?
so I can probably buy the parts I need for my engine from you ? I am planing to change the x Heads I have to aluminium heads from RAPOM ( I can get the heads here in Germany from the MOPARSHOP.de ) but all the other parts I will buy in the US...
beside the heads.. I need a Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake...and the roller cam "Kit ".. perhaps the timingchain set ( because my Timing Chain is a 1 BOLT Spoket set )..
Greetings Juergen

P.S do you have a WEB SIDE ??
I am, and I do. b3racingengines.com
Greetings
Mike

-
Back