Roller cam search

-

drugster

Reaction score
Hi everybody:
Im looking for a place to order a custom solid roller cam for my stroker, already call Howards but the estimated time for delivery is 16 weeks!!
Also write to Comp and Hughes but havent an answer yet.
Any recommendation on somebody? Don't want to wait 4 months for a cam.
Need something around 268/270@ ..050, 650/680 lift and 110-112 lobe separation .
Thanks in advance.

Hi everybody:
Im looking for a place to order a custom solid roller cam for my stroker, already call Howards but the estimated time for delivery is 16 weeks!!
Need something around 268/270@ ..050, 650/680 lift and 110-112 lobe separation .
Thanks in advance.
I've heard they're all pretty backed up. Maybe try Racer Brown, he might be a bit quicker if he has any cores.

Hi everybody:
Thanks in advance.
Call Doug herbert cams.
Ruben will take care of you.
They have a .630 260/270 you CAN have ground on a 110
CE6F 260/270 [email protected], 630/630, 108LC 3200-7200
or he can grind what you ask for...because he has cores, unlike the others!

Last edited:
Is this for a power adder application? Just curious why the 110-112 LSA.
Looks like Howards has a few shelf cams with similar specs except they have 106-108 LSA. I guess that doesn’t mean they actually have it on the shelf though.

Cam choice. Comp. Lifter choice is a large roller , Crower, Isky Red, or Jessel. We are getting (off set lifters )for ours. Most important is have the lifter bores trued and bushed at a shop with a truing fixture. Not just a bore reamer. We have two big blocks here right now that leaked out at the bores and lost oil pressure at High RPM's . Close inspection revealed those lifters that were suppose to work in a factory lifter bore came up past the oil galley. Every block is different don't just assume anything, These parts are to expensive.

Looks like Howards has a few shelf cams with similar specs except they have 106-108 LSA. I guess that doesn’t mean they actually have it on the shelf though.
Is for a nitrous engine

Hi everybody:
Thanks in advance.
Long shot, but try Schneider Racing Cams, I know when I talked to them at the time that they had a few billet cores (last spring) Often overlooked but worthy of at least checking

Man I can’t remember the last NEW roller cam I bought. Lol. Between here, Moparts, and Facebook I usually pick them up used at 30-50% of cost.

Wider LSA’s tend to make power longer in the upper rpm range. They also tend to make lower torque in the lower rpm range. If your not worried about the lower rpm range, then it is a non-issue.

When the cam and performance range of the engine is a high rpm build, the lower range is ignored.

Man I can’t remember the last NEW roller cam I bought. Lol. Between here, Moparts, and Facebook I usually pick them up used at 30-50% of cost.

Aaaahaaa I remembered. Tom Hemphill spec’d me out a cam back in 2006-2007 for my 572 B1 combo. How could I forget about a .850 lift cam.

Wider LSA’s tend to make power longer in the upper rpm range. They also tend to make lower torque in the lower rpm range. If your not worried about the lower rpm range, then it is a non-issue.

When the cam and performance range of the engine is a high rpm build, the lower range is ignored.

wider lsa cams tend to absolutely kill 60 foot times, which effects the rest of the incrementals( on an N/A engine) they also like more vert and compression on an N/A deal, comparatively speaking
I did a back to back test years ago that proved this out on a solid 10.30’s ish bracket car.
Most bracket cars live in a fairly narrow rpm range, very nicely work with a 106/108 type deal. 112 designed specifically by a cam guru guy( buddy at the time) to outrun the 107 i had in my car Dwayne did. It slowed it down, noticably.
You wont find any superstock stuff running wide cams, because they are head limited, and poor/ mediocre heads also like narrower stuff. The better the head, the less the liability

Hi everybody:
Thanks in advance.

If you wanna go smaller I got a Howard’s camshaft 274 278 .533 .503 lift ready to ship, 380.00 was too big how my low compression 5.2 and stock heads just idled never driven.

Hydraulic Roller Camshaft; 1992 - 2002 Chrysler 5.2L - 5.9L Magnum 1200 to 5700 Howards Cams 771915-10 | Howards Cams

Yawn….
wider lsa cams tend to absolutely kill 60 foot times, which effects the rest of the incrementals( on an N/A engine) they also like more vert and compression on an N/A deal, comparatively speaking
I did a back to back test years ago that proved this out on a solid 10.30’s ish bracket car.
Most bracket cars live in a fairly narrow rpm range, very nicely work with a 106/108 type deal. 112 designed specifically by a cam guru guy( buddy at the time) to outrun the 107 i had in my car Dwayne did. It slowed it down, noticably.
You wont find any superstock stuff running wide cams, because they are head limited, and poor/ mediocre heads also like narrower stuff. The better the head, the less the liability

The LSA is dependent on a number of factors, but generally tighter is better...everywhere. Many, many tests have proved this. Richard Holdener youtube recently did a test on some LS 5.3 cams, about 5 cams, 107 LSA was the tightest. The factory induction system was retained. 107 made more tq/hp everywhere except for a small dip at about 3k.
D. Vizard's book are full of examples of tight LSA cams outperforming wide LSA; he also states that going too tight will cost less power than going too wide.
As V says, the biggest mistake folks make during cam selection for a mild, lower rpm cam is widening the LSA when thy should keep the tight LSA & reduce duration.

Here is a test from the HotRod cam book, that three identical cams ground by Isky to test LSA differences, 106, 108, 110.
The 110 was only better in one place, peak hp, by a whopping 3.4 hp.
Everywhere else, the 106 was better. It had 24 more ft/lbs at peak tq; it had 24 ft/lbs more average through 7000 rpm

The reason to ask for a 110-112 l.s. is because i'm planning to spray it with a 200 hp shot

Ive got an Isky Turbo-cycle on the turbo 273...262/250 on a 114 ls....!

Yep,
Turbo cams are often wide LSA & reverse pattern [ less exh duration ]. Crower has them also [ & probably others ]. With artificial means of creating more pressure to get more air into the chamber [ ie, not gravity ], you do not need as much overlap, hence wider LSA.
Here's a question though. With turbo [ or n20, blower ] you make more hp. So more exh gas to expel. But less duration to expel more gas. Hmm....

-
Back