roller cams for la 360 /questions

-
Shut the key off. That’s why they put them in cars. No performance cam of any kind should sit and idle for 45 minutes. Who does **** like that?
Nobody that I know of.

Shut the key off. That’s why they put them in cars. No performance cam of any kind should sit and idle for 45 minutes. Who does **** like that?
All the parents picking up kids at child’s school. Just curious if I could do it in an old Mopar. In San Antonio, the parents at our school sometimes wait for two hours-yes of course in modern cars, just wondering if I possibly could with a solid roller if I had to.

There is no reason that your engine could not idle until the fuel tank ran dry....
Engines that do a lot of idling are taxis; the engines generally last longer than most cars because the engines are always at operating temperature.

All the parents picking up kids at child’s school. Just curious if I could do it in an old Mopar. In San Antonio, the parents at our school sometimes wait for two hours-yes of course in modern cars, just wondering if I possibly could with a solid roller if I had to.
Yes dammit yes. How many times do you need to read it?

On the Street? WHat if you had to idle in traffic, say waiting 45 minutes (in idle) to pick up your kid from school (nobody walks home from school anymore)?
Someone that could sit in line for 45 minutes up to two hours waiting to pick up their little crumb crunchers ain’t got no time to be messing with solid roller cams. Best off getting a minivan and maybe some of those stick family stickers.:poke: :rofl:

Last edited:
The solutions are simple. Make them ride the bus as God intended, or get a better watch and show up at the appropriate time.

Someone that could sit in line for 45 minutes up to two hours waiting to pick up their little crumb crunchers ain’t got no time to be messing with solid roller cams. Best off getting a minivan and maybe some of those stick family stickers.:poke: :rofl:
You got that right!

On the Street? WHat if you had to idle in traffic, say waiting 45 minutes (in idle) to pick up your kid from school (nobody walks home from school anymore)?
I don’t see a oiling or a mechanical problem with idling on any cam for a long period. If I was picking up the kids as a normal daily thing, it wouldn’t be in a hot rod that uses a solid roller though. If I “Had to”, fine. As an everyday vehicle? The vehicle would certainly be a different vehicle though. Like a mundane grandma driver. That’s not to say it couldn’t be equipped with some go fast parts though! I’d just like an absolute easy driver with a smallish cam, nice idle quality and high vacuum along with a darn good heating and A/C system.

This could be any car. For me it would look pretty stock. It would very much though, be a bit of a sleeper. Just for the sake of a quieter running engine, the roller cam would be a Hyd unit and not very radical. You can still make some very good power on a small cam. As you probably already know the secret is in the heads mostly.

As long as the breathing is easy in and out, the engine will respond.

Last edited:
If you havent purchased anything there are options. The lifter bores on magnums are longer in length. If it is a true LA block and you are set on going with a roller set-up I would highly recommend Hughes "Morrel" roller lifters HUG #5321. I put them in my 408 with a Comp Cam hyd roller and the work great. They also moved the oil band on these to accommodate the shorter lifter bores in the LA blocks and allow for pushrod oiling.
Just wondering if you can help - do you know if these lifters will be suitable for a 360 Magnum engine build?

There is no reason that your engine could not idle until the fuel tank ran dry....
Engines that do a lot of idling are taxis; the engines generally last longer than most cars because the engines are always at operating temperature.

Modern hemi’s( 5.7) have known issues idling extended periods of time.
Seen tons of cam/ lifter issues, and lots of idling is pretty well acknowledged as a big culprit.
Very common issue.

If you have
Just wondering if you can help - do you know if these lifters will be suitable for a 360 Magnum engine build?
if you have a magnum block then stock roller lifters will be fine and cheaper.

LA roller blocks, and Magnum blocks share the same lifter. When my 408 was built, I used an 89 LA roller block, and brand new replacement lifters from Melling. So far no issues, .580 lift cam, and regularly spins to 6300rpm.

I put Morel 5123's in my 273 that's going in my 65 Barracuda. I have not fired it up yet, but it is going to the dyno late next week. The only issue that I can think of for a later LA roller block is, they may or may not be able to be installed/removed with the heads on. The LA roller blocks supposedly have taller lifter bores than the older LA blocks. I can get my lifters in and out with the heads on, even with having had the lifter bores bushed. The tops of the bushings are very slightly above the tops of the old bores, but I can still get the pairs of lifters in and out with the heads on if I hold my mouth just right and keep my temper in check....lol. All you can do is try it and see.

BFBD0393-EE50-4799-99AB-DA07920DF1BB.jpeg

Late year LA engines are also called “Pre-Magnum” engines. In other words, late year LA engines are roller cam engines that have spiders.
I am building one for my 1965 Dodge Dart with the roller cam.Came out of a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 which did run good.Yard I bought it from had it in the truck before it was pulled and I heard it run telling them to pull it

Late year LA engines are also called “Pre-Magnum” engines. In other words, late year LA engines are roller cam engines that have spiders.
I am building one for my 1965 Dodge Dart with the roller cam.Came out of a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 which did run good.Yard I bought it from had it in the truck before it was pulled and I heard it run telling them to pull it
A 1999 from a 2500 ram is not a late year LA pre magnum. It IS a magnum.

A 1999 from a 2500 ram is not a late year LA pre magnum. It IS a magnum.
Thanks for the correction.

Well, I guess I misspoke. Before Magnum engines were the “LA” series engine. In the last few years of the “LA” engine, they were roller cam equipped. The first few years of the Magnum engine, the blocks were still drilled for rocker shaft oiling. I call these blocks “Pre-Magnum” blocks even though they came with Magnum heads.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction.

Well, I guess I misspoke. Before Magnum engines were the “LA” series engine. In the last few years of the “LA” engine, they were roller cam equipped. The first few years of the Magnum engine, the blocks were still drilled for rocker shaft oiling. I call these blocks “Pre-Magnum” blocks even though they came with Magnum heads.
No rumble you had (and still have) it correct. I quoted you because in her reply she was addressing you and it was pertinent to my response.

Oh! OK, thanks. I thought I screwed up!
I guess I missed her reply then?

-
Back