Roller rocker problems

-

69413valiant

Reaction score
I seem to be having adjustment problems on my roller rockers. Im running 1.6 crane golds. The cam I have us hydraulic voodoo with a 565 lift. I had a buddy last night help me adjust them. We broke the cam in and towards the end the rockers were making noise. Some of the adjusters on the roller rockers are maxed out and some aren't. We pulled the valve covers off again and #8 was loose. My buddy seems to think that I should of gone to a solid cam. running 906 heads. Are the push rods the wrong size? I need help on this one. Also can I put stock rockers on it? Will the stock rockers handle the lift?

I had to make multiple adjustments on my Hughes hydraulic roller. Seems like it was about two turns from zero lash to get them right. Not sure about your push rods, I measured mine for max lift and ordered them custom from hughes. I also had to clearance the heads for the push rod angles.

EOIC method. Works every time.

From Comp Cams:

Setting Hydraulic Lifter Pre-load (Adjustable Valve Train)

When installing a hydraulic cam, lifters or rocker arms, establishing the correct lifter pre-load improves both performance and engine life. Insufficient pre-load will create excessive valve train noise and wear. Excessive pre-load will cause rough idling and low manifold vacuum, and can even lead to severe engine damage. With an adjustable valve train, proceed as follows:

Install the pushrods and rocker arms. Be sure the pushrods are seated correctly in the lifter and rocker arm. Turn the engine over in the direction of rotation until the EXHAUST pushrod just begins to move upward, opening the valve. Now adjust the INTAKE rocker of that cylinder. Carefully tighten the nut on the intake rocker while spinning the pushrod with your fingertips. You will feel a slight resistance in the pushrod when you have taken up all of the clearance. This is “zero lash.” Turn the adjusting nut to the specified pre-load – typically 1/4-3/4 of a turn, but this will vary based on the lifter number.

Turn the engine in its rotation direction until the intake pushrod comes all the way up and almost all the way back down. Now set the EXHAUST rocker to “zero lash” and add the specified pre-load. Repeat this process for all remaining cylinders.

With 1.6 rockers ,the pushrods will rub on some heads unless you clearance them. This is more likely to occur if you have replaced your 5/16 pushrods with 3/8s. If some of your adjusters are maxed out your pushrods are probably the wrong length or you have bent them. As for the strength of factory nonadjustable rockers, I have ran a set with a Comp 292 .501 since 1986 with only one rocker failure. Street/strip 440.

If your some of adjusters are maxed out and things keep needing adjustment after you run it, my guess is your cam is wiped out.

The car is not running rough at all, the roller rockers are making noise. I suspect that the push rods are wrong. I'm tearing into it tomorrow.

try to set the pre load in the lifter at .030 and tack weld it there make sure all your lifters spin freelyand then drop in your pushrod legth tool and then set your rocker shafts in and get the roller setting center ,left and right and then about a little over 1/2 way twards back of valve , so it isn't going to fall off at high revs , ,make sure your pushrod measurer is sitting proper in the lifter and proper in the cup . Turn to just snug and that should tell you your pushrod length with built in lash .
hope this helps ,remember to just use the outside spring during breaking ,to much pressure can wipe it out instantly , reinstall inner springs after a good braking and GL with your engine

I have a voodoo cam aswell. I couldn't get the ticking noise to go away. Car runs good and is oiling good through out the heads just has a slight annoying tick. Another member on here (forgot the name) said those cams have a very steep grind to them and paired with aluminum roller rockers it's going to make noise. Just the nature of the beast.

-
Back