"Rookie-Touring" '69 Dart

-
Sorry guys... Unfortunately I haven't had much time to post anything since I'm busy either working on the car or having dinner with friends/family. I do have the chassis table finished and the car mounted up. I've started assembling the suspension and cutting out the wheel wells. Going to build my suspension jig tomorrow and start mocking the suspension up. I'll get some pics tomorrow. Things are definitely moving along, albeit at a slower pace than I had hoped, but I may still be able to reach my goal of the chassis tacked together before I go back to Switzerland. More to come, including pics...

I'm done being tired now Ric, it's all adrenaline from here on!

Here are a few pics to hold you over. Lord willing the passenger front suspension will be locked in Monday with the rear having been begun. I will also have the rest of the floor and wheel wells rough cut out and gone.

Wheel in tire in place with the suspension mocked up. This is at ride height of 5 inches. Not much room between the top of the tire and the fender mount but there is enough clearance at full compression.
IMG_2673.jpg

Jigged up and fixed in place...
IMG_2674.jpg

Hard to tell from this pic but there isn't going to be much room between the UCA's...
IMG_2675.jpg

As it sits now after starting to rough cut the firewall and floor...
IMG_2676.jpg

More pics to come Monday. Merry Christmas everybody!

Nice! i basically want to do the same thing with a dart, but /6 4 speed od So i can drive it too school and work. Road race driverr

WOW!!! All I can say is you got to be magician....only Houdini could stuff all that motor/exhaust/steering/suspension in there with that humugas(medical term referring to size of ta-tas) wheel/tire combo...I'm definately impressed with your vision and look forward to your posts. Please don't be shy about asking our opinion....'cause we are never shy about giving it....but in all seriosness...I wish you the best,this is probably the most ambitios build I have ever come across.

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Glad to see your not wasting any time...

This is going to be an AWESOME build!! I dont see how you dont go crazy being away that long and not being able to do any work on it. :)

thanks Ric.

Giller, I definitely go crazy. Early to mid-year isn't too bad, but September to December I go completely nuts and just want to get back as soon as possible. I'm studying business in Switzerland and it makes it difficult to stay focused on my studies when my brain and hands want to be all about car stuff...

Updates from today...

Got the passenger side suspension locked down...
IMG_2751.jpg

Finished rough cutting the rest of the floor and uni-body...
IMG_2754.jpg

Once I get the rear suspension mocked up I'll start cleaning up the cuts with a cutting disc and grinding disc before I start getting things measured up for the chassis. Tomorrow I'll be getting the engine set in the engine bay to see what we have and what the next steps are. I'll also be getting the rear suspension mocked up and hopefully get it locked into position. I've already started assembling it but plan to get it finished up tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments and ideas guys. They help me make sure I'm thinking every possible option through. See y'all tomorrow!

Today's update...

Got the engine set in place. Not exactly where I want it but it told me what I needed to know... Control arms aren't going to work. (I pretty much knew that but was hopeful anyway). I ordered a set of universal uppers from AFCO today which will be at my place tomorrow and I'll do somemore checking. I'm going to download the trial of suspension analyzer and see if I can still use the stock lowers or if I'll need to build my own. No worries though, it's all good! On with the pics. It's been a long time since an engine has been in this engine bay; I LIKE IT!!! I'll be setting it back into the firewall a ways so this is not the final location, just put it in to check clearance of the A-arms.
IMG_2756.jpg

After that I moved on to the rear suspension and got the driver side locked down. I'll get the passenger side tomorrow morning before moving on to playing again with the front suspension.
IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

This is a whole lot of meat for my little car...
IMG_2761.jpg

AAAhhhh ...I'm friggin speechless!!......(at least my wife is happy)

Damn that thing is going to be SWEET! You make some good work while your home :D

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. This thing is real low... I will probably have to a custom oil pan too but we'll see once I get the engine into the chassis for sure. I'll probably do that in February when I'm back. Did I mention I'll be back in February for 3 weeks, ohne Frau, so I'll be putting in 12-14 hour days on the car. The hope is to have a rolling chassis before I go back to Switzerland...

Wheww...I finally caught my breath.....Will, you give a whole new meaning to the word..."altered".....you pull this off and you will be right up there with the guy with the big S on his chest...(not Richard Simmons)

Looks a lower stance than the rendering shows.Yes/no? Anyways,keep the pedal down Will,she's looking good! 8)

Not a whole lot of pics to show from today. Got the passenger side rear suspension jigged up. Took FOREVER!!! It's done though and all the suspension is in place until I get my new uppers and screw all that up again. I'll get to screwing that up tomorrow.
IMG_2779.jpg

The other thing I (we) got done today is I narrowed the rear-end cover and had a friend tig it up for me. Came out great and now will fit perfectly between the rear frame rails.
IMG_2780.jpg

More tomorrow!

Looks a lower stance than the rendering shows.Yes/no? Anyways,keep the pedal down Will,she's looking good! 8)

It's not off by much if it is. I think the rendering is about right though. The only difference is the size of the wheels, otherwise though it is spot on I think. Thanks!

-
Back