"Rookie-Touring" '69 Dart

-
I'm still tryin' to figger how to get the tires off without dismantelling the car....this is the first/last post I always check out......I'll be waitin' by the computer for my fix (updates)

Mopar to ya'
Denny

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOD this thing is beyond sick. I can believe what you got done in a few short days. Wanna help me when you get back? I'm sure yours will be done before mine fires.

Man johnparts...you never ask me to help you.....bring your car over...I'm been wantin' something to practice on since I got this new plasma cutter for Christmas!!!

Since your offering Denny, I'll send mine down to you too since I leave Sunday. I just need it back in 6 weeks when I come back...

I "think" the tires will come off easily when I jack or lift from the chassis. "Should" be just enough room to get them out... Should...

John, how is yours coming?

Man ...you guys are great!!!....for some reason I just can't get the hang of this plasma cutter.....my brother says I'm dangerous with this thing....now I'm starting to think that isn't a compliment...but with some practice.....well... you get the picture......by the way...I'm in Findlay,Ohio....all Mopar freaks(like me) welcome!.....Will..I think were gonna hide yours for a while.....you....are a wildman!

Thanks Denny. I love my plasma, though I have some work to do myself on the "steady hand" syndrome...

Today's update:

Doesn't seem like much was accomplished today but we got some done. Pics will come tomorrow since the camera is still in the garage. To summarize though, we put the engine/trans in the car and located it where I think I want it. This took some time because we had to shorten the input shaft to get the bellhousing to pull in tight to the block. The new control arms are pretty much all good, though I now have some clearance problems with the alternator. We think we can use the SRT-8 manifolds I bought off Chris by pie cutting the manifolds near the header flange, bending them down, and tigging them up. Got nothing to lose by trying. Once the engine/trans were in place we mocked up the floor height in the car and set the seat in it to figure out what I'll have for head room. This is a big deal since I'm almost 6'6". Viper seats are WAY comfy!!! Then started planning and laying out frame rails. Can't really do the fronts yet because I need to check the suspension geometry with the shorter control arms first. Since I'm running out of time, that may have to wait until February. Also can't really start the rear rails since I need to rear end back in order to see how high I need to kick the rear rails up to clear the differential. I may have some measurements stashed away that will help me with that. If so, I'll get the rear rails going tomorrow. I did cut the drivers inner rocker and pull it since the frame perimeter will be going into the rocker. Started cutting the passenger but couldn't finish before I had to call it quits for the night.

Long story short, alot of work went into planning and problem solving (more to be done there still), and only a little physical work. I'll get some pics up tomorrow for y'all to check out. I'm whooped and finally going to bed...

Well, today is the last day I have to work on the car. Unfortunately I really won't be doing much on it. I have to get the garage cleaned back up so the other half of it can actually be used again. Yesterday's progress was limited, but still progress. I got the rocker panels opened up and trimmed back so I can slide the perimeter of my chassis into the rocker. I then wire wheeled the inside of it and laid down some Rust Bullet to prevent anything in the future. I was pleasantly surprised to find mostly surface rust inside; might be the only place on the car that was so nice... I am planning to box the rocker in with 16 ga. and was hoping to do it yesterday but the steel supply yard was not open, so that will unfortunately have to wait until I return in 6 weeks.
IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

While I was working on the rockers, I started cutting tube for the chassis. I've got about half of it cut so far but have to wait until I have the front suspension set to determine what the front rails will look like.
IMG_2799.jpg

I also downloaded a trial copy of Performance Trends Suspension Analyzer and put in my current points with the new UCA's as close to the stock Viper as possible, just further outboard by about a 1.5". I started a thread HERE to get some feedback on the results thus far but I plan to play a little bit with it and try the optimize function to see what it offers with current parts or if I'll need to build some LCA's to get better geometry and match the UCA's. At first it was a bit intimidating, but the video's Performance Trends has on their site are helpful and I finally got my junk in order on it.
IMG_2802.jpg

That's it for now. I'll grab a couple more pics today as I get things taken care of, but that's where I stand (sit) for now.
IMG_2797.jpg

cool...kinda reminds me of a "hot wheels" car from my youth (circa'68)...man.. you are a big guy...guess I better tone down the sarcasm a little .(now can we hide the plasma cutter??)

hey Rapid...I hope I can call you that for short...it's better than mine..."2-count"....anyways you spend a lot of time on the 'puter....better be gettin' that car done for "the Nats"...I'm just sayin'

hey Rapid...I hope I can call you that for short...it's better than mine..."2-count"....anyways you spend a lot of time on the 'puter....better be gettin' that car done for "the Nats"...I'm just sayin'

yes i'm working on it. i'll be out there again tomorrow.

like i told you before denny i'm down two wives and working on the courage to be on the prowl again. so for now this is my social life funny when i was a kid i used to laugh at hermits. go figure!

Hermans Hermits....I laughed at them too....are those guys still alive?

Looking good Will. You got a lot accomplished in a short amount of time.
Hey Rapid, I think you need to get busy on that Lancer.......!

Looking good Will. You got a lot accomplished in a short amount of time.
Hey Rapid, I think you need to get busy on that Lancer.......!

damn tin i thought you went on another extended holiday... yes the lancer and the duster i'm doing both so i'll be very busy in 2011

Hanging out in the Grand Rapids airport waiting to board and fly back to Switzerland, already looking forward to coming back 6 weeks from today. Had a great 2 weeks of working on the car, and while I didn't get everything on my list checked off (who does really, let's be honest), I was still able to get a lot completed. I would not have been able to get as much completed without the help of a couple guys, Dave and Jeff (droptop73 from pt.com). Without these two, I would still be stuck on what to do do about front suspension. Their help and guidance has helped resolve problems, bring about new ideas, and just have fun in the garage. Thanks guys!!!

Over the next 6 weeks I'm going to be doing some more reading up on suspension design and make sure I've got everything figured out with the new UCA's before I solidify their location and get the front rails built. After my next trip, I hope to have a rolling chassis.

Thanks for everybody's help, support, and encouragement on this website. Here is where we stand today and for the next 6 weeks...

IMG_2804.jpg

-
Back