Roping in a windshield

-

CUUDAK

Reaction score
Ok folks I will be installing the dash in my Cuda tomorrow and have never installed a windshield in a A-body.
I have roped in many windshields in other makes, mostly Fords. Any tips other than lots of soapy water????????

don't gu the seal until its in... otherwise it gets supper slippery and wont stay in the frame...

Using the rope trick to install a flat glass like the back of a pickup cab is too easy but...
I've never had much luck using the rope on contoured glass.This could be due to my limited experience.

Using the rope trick to install a flat glass like the back of a pickup cab is too easy but...
I've never had much luck using the rope on contoured glass.This could be due to my limited experience.

we did on my dad's 78 dodge truck front glass... it took a couple of times but we got it...

Could you explain what "roping in" a windshield means. Sounds like an interesting technique. Inquiring minds and all...

It's placing a small diameter rope in the frame groove of the windshield rubber and in the process of pulling the rope out, it peels the rubber over the lip of the windshield frame. You put the gasket on the glass first, then the rope is installed with the ends overlapped at the bottom, lube everything real good, set the glass in place with the bottom section set as far into the frame as possible. Start pulling the ends of the rope as you press the windshield lightly from the outside to help it seat into place. Work evenly from side to side as you work the rope out and the gasket/windshield into place. Take your time and don't force it!

I've never used rope to do these. Use 3m glazing and bedding compound between the rubber and the body first. Unlock the gasket and put a small bead of the same compound in the channel. I use a plastic lollypop like tool to run the gasket over the glass and lock the seal. Clean up excess with prep sol.

I've never used rope to do these. Use 3m glazing and bedding compound between the rubber and the body first. Unlock the gasket and put a small bead of the same compound in the channel. I use a plastic lollypop like tool to run the gasket over the glass and lock the seal. Clean up excess with prep sol.

exactly how my glass guy did it , he explained that these windshields are locked in by the stainless trim and he did both front and back in about 40 minutes including while I watched /helped ok mostly watched lol , I roped in the front on my old spitfire and it was a tricky process to say the least.

Thats how you install the windshield in an A body, just like GMachine said. No rope needed.
The rear window has a different install technique due to the different style of gasket, and you do use the rope technique to install that one.

George

the rear on my barracuda went in almost the same as the front no rope needed , just lock the stainless onto the clips to roll the gasket into place

According to the 68 Plymouth service manual you don't use the rope method on Valiant models including the Barracuda.

I don't have my laptop connected to my scanner so I can't scan the page.

I'll try and type it out.

Windshield installation ( except Fury)

1)remove all old sealer and cement from original weatherstrip.

2)Apply sealer in fence and glass groove portions of weatherstrip. On Valiant models install filler strip in lower part of weatherstrip.

3)Apply 3/8 inch bead of sealer cement completely across cowl top panel lower windshield frame area.

4)Position weatherstrip lower section to tab area, starting at the corners installing over tabs and working toward center.

5)Install weatherstrip on fence at sides and upper opening. With hand pressure, seat weatherstrip fully on fence.

6)With an assistant , slide upper edge of glass into channel of weatherstrip.Use a fibre tool to force weatherstrip lip over glass.

7)Seat glass in weatherstrip, pound glass , with the palm of hand using an upward motion.

8)Insert a fibre tool between weatherstrip and glass, at either corner, slide tool across top, and completely around weatherstrip to seat glass in place.

9)Using a fibre tool and working across top, down the sides and over the bottom,force weatherstrip locking tab into lock position.

10)water test windshield area.

11)Install garnish mouldings, wiper arms and blades.

Hope this helps.

The back goes in the same way.

One method may work better than the other depending on the condition of the gasket.

According to the 68 Plymouth service manual you don't use the rope method on Valiant models including the Barracuda.

I don't have my laptop connected to my scanner so I can't scan the page.

I'll try and type it out.

Windshield installation ( except Fury)

1)remove all old sealer and cement from original weatherstrip.

2)Apply sealer in fence and glass groove portions of weatherstrip. On Valiant models install filler strip in lower part of weatherstrip.

3)Apply 3/8 inch bead of sealer cement completely across cowl top panel lower windshield frame area.

4)Position weatherstrip lower section to tab area, starting at the corners installing over tabs and working toward center.

5)Install weatherstrip on fence at sides and upper opening. With hand pressure, seat weatherstrip fully on fence.

6)With an assistant , slide upper edge of glass into channel of weatherstrip.Use a fibre tool to force weatherstrip lip over glass.

7)Seat glass in weatherstrip, pound glass , with the palm of hand using an upward motion.

8)Insert a fibre tool between weatherstrip and glass, at either corner, slide tool across top, and completely around weatherstrip to seat glass in place.

9)Using a fibre tool and working across top, down the sides and over the bottom,force weatherstrip locking tab into lock position.

10)water test windshield area.

11)Install garnish mouldings, wiper arms and blades.

Hope this helps.

The back goes in the same way.
You guys are right. I misspoke when I said "A Bodies". My experience is with Darts. The Dart front gasket is the self locking type, and the rear is not, hence the 2 different install methods.

Sorry bout that!

George

http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001M52YRO/ref=aw_d_iv_hi?is=l
ref=aw_d_iv_hi

Nylon tool

-
Back