round two low idel

-
What converter are you running 74? If it's stock or low stall it'll drop rpm's like that. A loose converter is made for big cams and don't drag down the engine so much.

its a 3600 stall flashes at 3400

ok, thanks guys I know what to do now. And I did set it at 24 before I posted this, but I have this popping noise at 1k idle and Im thinking its a lean pop not sure.

You have water in your oil. Have you done a compression check?

Most of the people in this thread don't know everything that is going on.

Don't just assume its lean because someone that probably didn't know you have water in your oil said it was lean.

I am (god knows why) really trying to help.

you changed the cam and now you have water in yer oil?

front cover.

try tightening it.
I believe next time that you can change a cam with the intake on by backing off some of the intake bolts a lil and use long needle nose pliers.
I've had to pull and clean, check, replace etc lifters this way many times.

its a 3600 stall flashes at 3400

If it's only flashing 3400 it's not a 3600 converter unless it's an off the shelf converter. Still should be loose enough to let it idle good. My 360 has a cam just a little smaller and it idles super with just a 3k converter. Drops from about 825 in park to 700 in gear.

I wonder if the springs in the dist. are too loose letting the mechanical come in at idle in park then when you drop it in gear the rpm lowers just enough to drop some timing out? Get somebody over to help you and put a timing light on it and have them drop it in gear and watch what the timing does.

ok, thanks guys I know what to do now. And I did set it at 24 before I posted this, but I have this popping noise at 1k idle and Im thinking its a lean pop not sure.

lean pop is eating the tops of your pistons if they arent forged.

I dont know what the popping noise is..
compression test yes with the last cam was like 140-145 was very low with that cam which is why I changed it.
Umm about the springs I dont think its leaking in but I do know that I have 40 degrees of timing at 1500-1800 when I checked it...

I had water in my oil, but not a whole lot, I had to check the dipstick like 3-4 times just to get some on it when I checked it the first time. I changed that oil out...I believe this was all happening because I didnt put the intake on correct.. I hope to get rid of this annoying pop first then worry bout the idle later

no big but.. time it at idle '850'ish rpm' for initial, not 1500rpm like yer 1st post seems be saying.

no i was timing it at 1k not 1500.. I rev. the motor too actually see where and when all the timing was coming in

40 degrees no good.to much total advance is destructive. initial much less important.

which is why we are trying to tailor it [the curve].:read2:

yup i havent done anything because my intake gaskets arent in yet, should be in today and will work on it today or tomorrow and will update you all.

intake gaskets are in, they are the eddys and on the directions it says to use their gasginich, should I use it? or doesnt matter?

got it locked timing out at 32, idles at 1k drops too 750 and Im happy with that...umm the pop isnt really there anymore, if it comes back im going to put some higher octane see if that helps.

ok cool, the timing is now where it's gonna stay for now.

have you tried closing the secondary blades a lil? there is a lil screw maybe under the base plate.

otherwise, live with it.

maybe it can be helped but you'll need someone qualified to look at it for you.

i dont really want to mess with the settings that my carb guy sent them as. He does this for a living, jesse at BIGS carbs

here's what you NEED TO DO

screw in one of the idle mixture screws and COUNT how many turns in till closed.

then report back.

you outta have 3/4-1 1/8 turn out

you're kidding me...... ahhh fk man R u telling me you haven't touched the idle mixture screws, idle setting etc..????

wtf? no I messed with those things just not the screw on the bottom of the carb thats all.

yes all the same about 1/2 a turn out
......................................lower the idle speed and open the mixture screws up to/around 3/4-1 turn out each.

then tell me what it does in gear.

btw do you have a time light that shows rpm?

you need to open up the mixture screws till the rpm quits increasing and starts decreasing, then go back [turn in] to the highest increase you had.

you need to set the idle speed down to 800rpm 1st then do the above.

-
Back