routing fuel line

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Im using braided SS fuel line. Im good till i get to the trans x memeber. Should I go under it our though it? After that I think im good too. Common sense is telling me to go though but wont that weaken the x memeber?

I would drill a circular hole somewhere far away from any structural bends in the crossmember. You may even be able to bore out the existing fuel line hole. If you're worried about structural integrity, put a hollow slug in the crossmember and weld it in place and just pass the fuel line through that.

-Mike

Open up the hole the std fuel line passes through.

I remember that thread now that I see it. Id like to do mine on the opposite side of the torsion bar and thats exactly the idea i had in mind.

when i did my fuel line on the pass. side i just drilled the factory hole a bit bigger, i think 1" and sleeved it with a piece of pipe and welded it in like my driver side.

there was another thread on here the other day about how a guy used a threaded pipe nipple and ran it thru and connected his hose end fittings on either side. like an extended bulk head fitting.

Open up the hole the std fuel line passes through.

I could do that but it puts me on the opposite side of where i want to be. My plan is to run this out and up the outside of the inner fender then though a grommet out the top of the inner fender. With the way the headers snake around trying to get it as far from tubes as possible.

You're on the outboard side of the rail, use a holesaw to make a large enough hole and run it through.

Put some type of sleeve on the hose or grommet where it passes through the crossmember.

Yup that be where id like to run it. and yes i have grommets. All lines and wires are getting a grommet. I shouldnt need much more then a 3/4" hole. Thanks for the tips fellas.

Someone just had a post a few days ago--ran a piece of pipe through that area with fittings on each side, AKA a "bulkhead" fitting.

A hole thru the center will negligibly weaken it, since there is almost no stress there. Chysler didn't sleeve it for the factory tube, but not a bad idea to avoid chafing. If you are going outside the inner fender, you might need to protect it from road debris flung by the tires. There is a reason they stayed inside the frame rails.

I just bought some alum tube, a 37 degree flare tool, and some tube nuts to make an intermediate pipe at the crossmember.

the existing fuel line hole can fit two 3/8 hardlines next to eachother.

-
Back