Rt Front Corner down 1 1/2"

-

kazooom

Reaction score
I think I need to adjust my right front torsion bar as I do not see any suspension damage, bent or broken. What is the procedure. I check on line and everything points to the rear of the torsion bar for adjusting bolt and nothing there. The bolt seems to be on the front below the lower control arm. Need to confirm and any special tips. I need to go up 1 1/2 " on the right front.... thanks

how to adjust torsion bars mopar - Google Search

I can't find it on the net but I believe the correct procedure is measure from the lower ball joint to the floor ... write down that measurement. Measure from where the torsion bar goes into the LCA to the floor and write that measurement down. Substract the the two measurements. This is your ride hieght. Do the same on the other side. Your want both to be the same.

Last edited:
how to adjust torsion bars mopar - Google Search

I can't find it on the net but I believe the correct procedure is measure from the lower ball joint to the floor ... write down that measurement. Measure from where the torsion bar goes into the LCA and write that measurement down. Substract the the two measurements. This is your ride hieght. Do the same on the other side. Your want both to be the same.

Yes, that is the book procedure, but I find it easier to measure from the body of the LCA to the frame rail at the same place on both sides. I like about an inch between the LCA bumper and frame, but I measure to the metal body of the arm to take out any differences there might be in the bumpers.

Is this a car that you have been running or is it still in the build stage?

What he said. Is this a situation where you installed all these parts and need to set the ride height?

Or, is this a sudden change? As in it was level and now suddenly it's not? Because if this is a sudden change you need to be looking for broken parts. An 1-1/2" difference is huge, that could indicate something broken and the car is just sitting on the bump stop.

car is being driven, frt end on right has started to sag. no visible damage to suspension. I think that the torsion bar needs to be tightened, I think the bolt is at the front of the bar. Do I need to loosen the LCA when tightening the bolt.

The bolt / adjuster is on the lower control arm. You will see it lying under the car. It is best to lift the weight of the car while adjusting it in. A little WD40 ahead of time may help loosen the rust.
I asked if you are driving because that is a pretty major change to "just happen". I would look very closely at the torsion bar cross member to see if the pocket has rusted and let go.
In any case, the adjustment is simple. You will have no problem once you crawl under and see the adjuster poking out of the lower control arm.

Last edited:
It's a 3/4 six point bolt head sticking nearly straight down from between the two halves of the control arm.

hqdefault.jpg

That much wrong suggests a mechanical failure somewhere. Could be the socket at the rear of the bar but could also be at the adjuster mechanism too. That adjust bolt goes through a threaded block like nut. Maybe failed threads bolt or nut. The end of the bolt is ball nosed to seat in a pocket near the end of a limb or finger on that bar socket. We've seen the this bolt in pocket failed before. The pocket egg shaped to the point that bolt walked right out the end of the finger. This isn't a constantly moving wearing contact. Nor are those threads. These type failures must come from adjusting while vehicle weight loaded. Let us know what you find.

How is your rust situation? Rear torsion mount rust out and gets sag. Hope not....

AND CHECK THE REAR SUSPENSION/ SPRINGS

You sag one side from something broken/ damaged "back there" the opposite corner will rise up front

(Just like changing a flat.........you jack up one rear corner.........the opposite side front will go down..........)

OK here's the update.... We got it up in the air yesterday and good news is there is no rust, crossmember and torsion mount looks good. Some one has done some repairs before on the torsion mount. No bent suspension. The right front frame rail seems to be bent. Has a roll in at the top of the rail. Looks like from a previous accident. We adjusted the right torsion bar and got that side up now to about 1/8" difference from the left side. That is measuring from the floor to the top of the fender wheel opening. Still need to measure from the lower ball joint to the floor and the torsion bar to the floor as described by Mullinax95 and do a wheel alignment as well. The car does look a lot more level from the front and it is going down the road straight with no pull. I did look at the leaf springs at the back too and looks good... thanks guys !!

Um, a bent frame rail is far worse then bent suspension. I’d take bent suspension over a bent frame any day, the suspension is an easy fix.

Adjusting the ride height so it’s even and having it not pull doesn’t mean it’s right. That was a BIG difference. You can bandaid it if you want, but my guess is you’ll have issues that’ll keep popping up until you straighten the frame.

You are right sir... sooner than later I'll have to get it up on the rack and measure and pull ( gentle though, dam thing is 50 years old) Just good to get things figured out.

-
Back