Running E85?

-

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
Anybody running E85 in their hot rod? I was wondering what was needed to run it? I planned on running braided fuel lines, calling the fuel pump companies to make sure it'd handle it, and calling BIG'S to see about a carb. Anything else you can think of that I would need?

I'm not yet but I'm planning on it. this is what I've found so far:

It has an octane rating of 105, so you can run a 12.5:1 CR without a problem.

Don't use a gas jet in your N2o plate if you plan on using it, you'll lean out big time.

Don't skimp out on your fuel delivery system as you'll use about 30% to 40% more fuel, and make sure all your lines, pump, regulator and float needles are alcohol compatible.

Your engine will run much cooler due to the charge cooling effect of the added fuel.

Quick Fuel also make an E-85 carb, check them out: http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/home_2.htm

My next build will be E-85 specific, so anything you or anyone else can add would be greatly appreciated.

I'm curiuos as to reading plugs on a E-85 engine. Do they read the same as on a gas engine?

The latest (January) issue of HOT ROD magazine has a BIG article on using E-85, beginning on page 104.

Lots of good information, there.

Bump, any info is good info at this time! :D
Check out the latest HOT ROD, they have a article on E85 in general. Check Mopar Action for a Thermoquad rebuild for E85; this is a far cheaper and IMO better solution then buying a E85/alch. carb.

There have been many articles about E85 in the car magazines, Mopar Action/Muscle, Car Craft, etc... check their sites and search for E-85 or E85

If there was a pump near by that had E85 then I would be running it now in my 408. I built my fuel system with E85 as a future possibility in mind. (3/8th line, alc. rubber line, high volume pump although not alc. compatible)

You can post very specific questions at www.e85forum.com

My brother has been running E85 for the last few years in his drag car. I took awhile to get it all figured out but now it is a consistant car that runs much cooler. You can just lap that thing all day long while the petrol guys are spraying water and using fans between rounds. Oh, ya, it smells like a brewery when it runs too!

You can post very specific questions at www.e85forum.com

My brother has been running E85 for the last few years in his drag car. I took awhile to get it all figured out but now it is a consistant car that runs much cooler. You can just lap that thing all day long while the petrol guys are spraying water and using fans between rounds. Oh, ya, it smells like a brewery when it runs too!

Right on! Thanks for the heads up!

theres an article in the new car craft about a 3 generatin charger that is set up with E85, and a procharger on a 440. really cool build, really powerful and streetable. you might suck up a little extra fuel with E85 but around here it is about $2.35 a gallon and about 105 octane:thumblef:

The latest (January) issue of HOT ROD magazine has a BIG article on using E-85, beginning on page 104.

Lots of good information, there.

I literally *JUST* finished reading the E85 article in HOT ROD (my subscription came today). Great article, and like Bill says, lots of good information. In the article, they take a Chebby LS2 motor at 10.3:1 CR and then add 13psi of Garrett GT42 blower boost running E85, getting 850 hp and 832 lb-ft of torque at < 6000 RPM(yah, it's a Chebby, but just extrapolate what your favorite Mopar motor would do with LOTS of compression/boost and no detonation worries!). There wasn't any performance figures for any pump gas, because pump gas is well, CRAP, as we all know.

Like I said in my Welcome Wagon post, I have fevered dreams of a 14:1 CR'ed, HyperPak'ed, EFI'ed, Deuce and a Quarter Leaning Tower of Power /6 running ethanol in my Signet convertible. A local Santa Cruz guy is directly responsible: David Blume. Last month, he delivered my copy of Alcohol Can Be A Gas (ACBAG), a nearly 600 page encyclopedia of his accumulated knowledge from over the past few decades. He shows how to make ethanol fuel, converting vehicles to run it, and the sustainable permaculture gardening that would make it feasible, practical, and economical. With BIG OIL putting the squeeze on us all, it may soon be NECESSARY to continue to enjoy our fun, bitchin' Mopars without taking a 2nd out on the homestead to keep gasoline running through it.

Check it out: Alcohol Can Be A Gas

Not trying to spam, 'cause this is a genuine review of a bitchin' product and on topic, but if I'm in violation, please strip my post, kick my teeth in, etc. etc.

Thanks...

I literally *JUST* finished reading the E85 article in HOT ROD (my subscription came today). Great article, and like Bill says, lots of good information. In the article, they take a Chebby LS2 motor at 10.3:1 CR and then add 13psi of Garrett GT42 blower boost running E85, getting 850 hp and 832 lb-ft of torque at < 6000 RPM(yah, it's a Chebby, but just extrapolate what your favorite Mopar motor would do with LOTS of compression/boost and no detonation worries!). There wasn't any performance figures for any pump gas, because pump gas is well, CRAP, as we all know.

Like I said in my Welcome Wagon post, I have fevered dreams of a 14:1 CR'ed, HyperPak'ed, EFI'ed, Deuce and a Quarter Leaning Tower of Power /6 running ethanol in my Signet convertible. A local Santa Cruz guy is directly responsible: David Blume. Last month, he delivered my copy of Alcohol Can Be A Gas (ACBAG), a nearly 600 page encyclopedia of his accumulated knowledge from over the past few decades. He shows how to make ethanol fuel, converting vehicles to run it, and the sustainable permaculture gardening that would make it feasible, practical, and economical. With BIG OIL putting the squeeze on us all, it may soon be NECESSARY to continue to enjoy our fun, bitchin' Mopars without taking a 2nd out on the homestead to keep gasoline running through it.

Check it out: Alcohol Can Be A Gas

Not trying to spam, 'cause this is a genuine review of a bitchin' product and on topic, but if I'm in violation, please strip my post, kick my teeth in, etc. etc.

Thanks...

Lots of intersting information there and thank you for the link. I've been very interested in manufacturing my own alcohol (For the car, guys! Not for me.) from grass clipping and organic waste. The more independendant I can be, the happier I am.

oooh i gotta read this. I have a 440 that was rebuilt about ten years ago and was thinking about going through it and redoing it for E85. The only thing is that we do not have an abundance of it in my area of SoCal. We do have a biodiesel station/pump. If I can find a way to use it I would. My best bet may be to plumb everything for the possibiity of E-85. Maybe build and extra E-85 carb and have some high CR heads/pistons sitting in the garage for when the OIL CRISIS really hits and E-85 becomes a necessity. Probably, it's cheaper to perpare now for it before there is a huge demand.

Thanks for the links I will have to follw up on all the articles too.

-
Back