runs with key in start position. but dies when its out

-

moparnate52

Reaction score
the car will run with the key in the start position, then when its out it dies. it has stock ignition on a 72 dart 318

I hate to be repetitive but that would be my guess. Take a piece of wire and jump the wires on the ballast and see if it stays running.

this should be a sticky. I guarantee I have seen this same question 50 times. There is a search feature here that would have found the answer to this.just so ya know.

They are cheap and real easy to replace...............

............BUY 2 !!

You never know where you may be when they go bad.

this should be a sticky. I guarantee I have seen this same question 50 times. There is a search feature here that would have found the answer to this.just so ya know.

But though more rare, it can also be worn "run position" contact in the ignition switch itself.
But ya gotta chk the easy stuff first.
Test all the balast resistors connections for power with a test light.
All contacts should have power them or it's toast.

wheres the risistor located?

Facing the car with the hood up, look on the drivers side firewall for a ceramic white box with four elec posts on it. I'll get ya a pic.
Could be either of these, but in any case ALL connections should have power with the key in the run position.

Attachments

• resistor.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 1pole.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 267
Neutral saftey switch can heave the same effect I believe. Run a jumper to the spot on your relay and ground it out. Car would run if I kept my hand on the start position but would die after realeasing. Just a thought

Neutral saftey switch can heave the same effect I believe. Run a jumper to the spot on your relay and ground it out. Car would run if I kept my hand on the start position but would die after realeasing. Just a thought

Can't happen, unless some sort of weird wiring short.

the resistor fixed it!.... but the problem ive had with it since i baught it last year. it will run for about 10 minutes..then shut down. after i let it set for a day or so it will start right up. i dont drive it a lot just move it in and out of the shop cuz im in the process of restoring it

choke not opening all the way?

Or a bad coil
or a bad fuel pump
or an electrical connection that looses it's contact when it warms up

Please start by chking for spark after it quits and go from there.

Let us know

Choke not opening will do that. They run rich on choke until they load up and die.

A ballast resistor cannot come and go. It either passes current or it dont.

-
Back