S/B decking

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How far is to far to deck a small block.
The subject is a late model LA 360. Or does it matter?
Hummmmmmm

Less is more. When in doubt, sonic test it but it will vary around the deck surface. I wouldn't go more than .100 without testing it. And understand the intake and heads will probably need to be cut too at that amount.

In Shepard's "How to Hot Rod a small block Mopar", he gives a number of .060 to .075 as a max cut. Went looking for my Mopar engine manual and can't find it....don't remember it giving a max cut, though there is a ratio of amount off the deck and then an amount off the front and rear china walls, sorry don't remember what the ratio is for cutting. If I can find the book I will post the info.

I also remember that the amount off the deck requires a cut off the heads intake face, in like fashion as as cutting chamber face.....ie .010 off the deck requires .095 off the head intake face.

For a start, hope this helps.

Heck yea. I have slugs, IIRC, .090 in the hole.

I thing a 0 deck piston would be cheaper than all of that precise machine work.

By the time you add the machining costs for cutting the decks, and then making the intake fit again, and after you decide you wanna try a different intake and have to cut that one too, and the custom length pushrods,IDK.And then you find out the machine shop cut it high front to back on one side and low on the other and they're not even at the correct angles and one side is lower than the other....IDK
If I can help it,I'm never going that route again. For me it will be custom fit pistons, and leave the factory machining alone if/whenever possible.
And that goes triple-gazillion for an align-hone. If they mess that up, it's possible that the rear main-seal will never seal! Or not seal for very long.And changing it every 10,000 miles, in-frame,gets old in a hurry!
KB hypers for me.
An acquaintance of mine, says he bored his 360 to fit some 340 forged slugs, and then cut them to fit his X-head chambers.I can't say if it's true or not, but his 360 roars pretty good. And does't leak at the rear seal.And he has tried several different intakes without additional machining costs.

Found my Direct Connection engine book......as they are talking about the "X" block, saying that the decks are .200 thicker giving an over all thickness of .700, I take that to mean the production deck is .500 thick. When decking, for each .010 cut from the deck, .0144 should be cut from the front and rear block rails.

This is from a 1982 DC engine manual.

Hope this helps.

Heck yea. I have slugs, IIRC, .090 in the hole.

I think there is enough material to zero deck that, but the cost of the machine work might cancel it out. They will not be able to do it in one cut, so the price will be higher.

Cost is not the issue or problem. The Amount of metal is.

Ted, you didn't miss the sarcasm did ya?!?! LMAO

Thank you Mr. Butch.

I'll letcha all know where it all stands later.

Cost is not the issue or problem. The Amount of metal is.

Ted, you didn't miss the sarcasm did ya?!?! LMAO

Thank you Mr. Butch.

I'll letcha all know where it all stands later.

I guess I did. I need to come home for a refresher course.

Well, you know your allways welcomed here by many.

-
Back