Sacramento County ban on home “major auto repair”

-
there's a difference between a tweeker house with nothing but **** scattered all the way to the property lines and a guy that is working on one vehicle in an organized manner, even if there are parts all over the place. I blow cars apart in my driveway and garage, but when it gets dark , most everything is put away, not because I care what the neighbors think, but because I don't want anything stolen. we have one asshole on our block that makes everyone else's business his own. this jackass has nothing better to do than worry about what everybody else is doing in their driveways. the downside of it for him is that he has the only house in a 5 block radius that has a plethora of black rubber burn out tire tracks out front in the street.

When all this was going on next door to me, the owner of that duplex got in contact with me, through the property management firm that he contracts to manage the property, as he's an absentee owner, living down in the San Francisco Bay area.
When he found out what his renters were doing, he didn't like it at all.
He spent 10K putting in a new concrete driveway, and don't know how much he had to spend renovating that side of the duplex, when the prior tenant(s) got evicted.
Doesn't wan't that new driveway, all oil stained, and then looking like crap.
He doesn't want any auto repairs on the property, so the tenants aren't complying with the rental agreement, also not complying with city, and county code.

Now who would want to put up with anything like this, living in a residential neighborhood?
This is what i saw, had to put up with, when i got code enforcement involved with the next door neighbor.
Somebody moves in, and brings down the neighborhood with their unacceptable behavior.
What you see just isn't right, and a reason the city has codes to regulate something like this.

View attachment 1715469735

View attachment 1715469736
Anymore, you have to tear a car down that far just to change a battery.

I could not stand to live somewhere like that, I'm thankful to live where I do, the law enforcement around here likes looking at my projects and I've even had them give me leads on other mopars in the area, we still have freedom here but I'm afraid all the crap out west will eventually move east, I can understand not wanting to live next to a bunch of junk cars though, I keep mine hid.

Things like that tolerated in Thunder Bay, Ont. where your at?
Guess you and the people next door to me, would get along great.
Want them as neighbors.

I'll take them, because I can accept that the sphere of my influence stops at the edge of the property that I own.

When all this was going on next door to me, the owner of that duplex got in contact with me, through the property management firm that he contracts to manage the property, as he's an absentee owner, living down in the San Francisco Bay area.
When he found out what his renters were doing, he didn't like it at all.
He spent 10K putting in a new concrete driveway, and don't know how much he had to spend renovating that side of the duplex, when the prior tenant(s) got evicted.
Doesn't wan't that new driveway, all oil stained, and then looking like crap.
He doesn't want any auto repairs on the property, so the tenants aren't complying with the rental agreement, also not complying with city, and county code.

Around here, we'd say that it's nobody's fault but the landlord's for renting to people he doesn't keep an eye on. He pay you for your time and effort on letting them know what's going on? Of course not. He's an entitled prick that thinks that other people should enforce his will without any effort on his behalf.

Er, um, oops. That's not directed at you or anything.

In my area code enforcement is selective.
For example.
You can park a unregistered,unkept,uninsured motorhome,and live in it on a city street. Throw garbage out the window and piss on the sidewalk all day long. You can rob the neighborhood blind and your golden. Nobody can touch or move you. There is no profit in it.
However if you bring home a classic car and try to work on it on your own property, then some rat fink will look over fence and snitch. There is profit in that.

I could not stand to live somewhere like that, I'm thankful to live where I do, the law enforcement around here likes looking at my projects and I've even had them give me leads on other mopars in the area, we still have freedom here but I'm afraid all the crap out west will eventually move east, I can understand not wanting to live next to a bunch of junk cars though, I keep mine hid.
Sounds like your responsible, for what you have behind the fence.
That's good that you have fencing, to hide the cars.
Around here, in the design of the homes, the way property is, no fencing like that for the driveways, to hide cars.
Looking at a eyesore, every time i open my door, and look at a junker sitting there, just degrades the neighborhood.
If code enforcement rules like there are aren't enforced, it's like a cancer, that somebody else see's it being done, and then it's whack a mole all over again.
If i want to see junk cars, i pay two bucks to get into the local Pick-N-Pull wrecking yard, at the end of the city, not in a neighborhood driveway.
For me, i'm glad that our code enforcement keeps on top of "issues" that crop up around here.
They do a good job.

Here’s the ordinance:

Auto Repair
Doesn’t....”any vehicle being inoperable for a period in excess of twenty-four hours” rule pretty well everyone out that owns anything half interesting?
Sometimes I think we’ve made everything too hard here in Aus but I pity you guys that have to cope with this stuff!

Last edited:
Things like that tolerated in Thunder Bay, Ont. where your at?
Guess you and the people next door to me, would get along great.
Want them as neighbors.
Theres a good possibility we could get along great.Hes a bad guy because he worked on his car in the driveway?if you scoped out your neighborhood so well,why would you buy a place where the majority is rentals?

Theres a good possibility we could get along great.Hes a bad guy because he worked on his car in the driveway?if you scoped out your neighborhood so well,why would you buy a place where the majority is rentals?
If you learned how to read my replies, i never said anything about me being an owner.
I rent the duplex that i reside in, my half of the building.
If you wan't to live with a junk yard on your street, so be it, i don't.

I have an 90-100 unit apartment complex at the beginning of my street.
Nice place.
They don't even allow you to open the hood of your car, wash your car, do anything to your car, on the grounds of the property.
So the tenant's do repairs on the street, that code enforcement seems to tolerate, as they know the rules and restrictions of the apartment complex, have in place.
I will bet lots of tenants in that complex, never bothered to ask, maybe never told about those rules, or fully understood them, before moving in.
How would you like to live there, then?
Probably not the place for them, if intended to work on a car in the car port.

Sounds like your responsible, for what you have behind the fence.
That's good that you have fencing, to hide the cars.
Around here, in the design of the homes, the way property is, no fencing like that for the driveways, to hide cars.
Looking at a eyesore, every time i open my door, and look at a junker sitting there, just degrades the neighborhood.
If code enforcement rules like there are aren't enforced, it's like a cancer, that somebody else see's it being done, and then it's whack a mole all over again.
If i want to see junk cars, i pay two bucks to get into the local Pick-N-Pull wrecking yard, at the end of the city, not in a neighborhood driveway.
For me, i'm glad that our code enforcement keeps on top of "issues" that crop up around here.
They do a good job.
You seem to like this law....More government involvement must suit you. I suppose you'd be in favor of the government imposing on your parts sales business, requiring you to get a business license , a valid EPA impact report on the effect that your brake parts restoration has on the neighborhood? You'd surely be in favor of them requiring you to pay taxes on every sale and to contribute to a fund to support low income citizens like the phone utilities do ?

Last edited:
Hey kern doggy.
I had to take you off my ignore list to see what you had to open your trap about.
You don't exactly reside in the low rent district of Sacramento, or a neighboring suburb.
Tell you what.
I'm sure having junkers, next driveway over to you, on your street, in your neighborhood, would be allowed, tolerated, by your neighbors, or even you, in plain view for everyone to see.
You got lots of HOA restrictions, city, county, codes where you live.
That's why your where your at.
You prefer your hood, and chose to live there for reasons, and not having junk cars to bring down the property values of your place in the high rent district, of this town.

Hey kern doggy.
I had to take you off my ignore list to see what you had to open your trap about.
You don't exactly reside in the low rent district of Sacramento, or a neighboring suburb.
Tell you what.
I'm sure having junkers, next driveway over to you, on your street, in your neighborhood, would be allowed, tolerated, by your neighbors, or even you, in plain view for everyone to see.
You prefer your hood, and chose to live there for reasons, and not having junk cars to bring down the property values of your place in the high rent district, of this town.

Pay no mind to him. I can see in his post from here and other places he is somewhat of a legend a scholar of the highest level in his own mind.....

You touched on a hot topic. And to be honest I probably would be laughing at you Hemi71X until my own situation. It completely changed my opinion and mindset on having bad neighbors... I had a close friend and mentor who has now passed deal with it and I never really understood the frustration with it until now and what is coming up on 4 years.

Stay the course and you will be fine. My next residence will have serious restrictions in regards to the neighborhood but that's down the road. Opinions vary and that is mine.....

JW

My attitude has always been, if you can't see it from the street, move along. If my garage looks like a mess when the door is up, so what. I have two cars in there and that's what it's for correct. Is that worse than the illegal conversions that get done to add a room??? Or the people that have a ton of crap loaded inside the garage and no room to park anything.

I hate gardening and I bet I haven't dumped as many toxic chemicals into the ground as the people that like to garden.

Pick your poison, there is always something, somewhere that people will find a reason to complain about.

No HOAs where I am. NONE.
My area is sort of rural but I have cars and parts here. I keep everything tucked away though. As Crackedback wrote, if it is out of view from the street, move along. I like that.
My point on this matter is pretty clear:
If a person needs to do periodic maintenance on their own cars, why screw with them?
If a Hobbyist has a project car in his shop or behind a fence, why is that a problem ?
I personally have no problem with Jim Hemi71X doing his brake restorations in his garage. I suspect that he is responsible enough to be careful and not make an ecological disaster.
From what I have gathered, this legislation was primarily directed towards the growing trend of residential auto dismantling that results in spillage of oil, ATF, anti-freeze, A/C refrigerant, etc. I would agree that if this were the primary goal of this law, it is a reasonable idea. Auto wreckers are required to properly contain all these fluids and they are inspected periodically. Some guy in a rented house may not care about the impact of dumping all that crap in a hole in the yard.
Now, it does seem that the law is in keeping with almost every other BS Law that goes through our over regulated state: It throws the baby out with the bathwater. It reminds me of the strict teachers that make the whole class stay late because of one bad student.
Why did they not draw better law that allows periodic, routine maintenance ? Why the heavy handed approach?

Why area few going off the railroad track here talking about doing auto repairs behind fencing, in the garage with the door(s) down, behind the house, out of sight.
I showed pictures of heavy duty, auto body damage repairs, being done in plain view in the driveway, and from the street, not behind any fenced, blocked off view, gates.
That's what personally ticks me off, wether some of you guys disagree with it or not.
I do not want to live the rest of my life, with eye sores like that in my neighborhood.
What's wrong with that?
I had a career full of looking at, working on wrecks, and don't need to see that crap going on right next door to me.
A reason there is a code written for such a reason.
You want to live like that, then fine by be, but do it where your not going to get in trouble over it.
I can probably guarantee you that if you are a home owner, and were trying to sell your home, and you have a neighbor doing that kind of repair in plain view of your home, your property value of your place is going to take a dive in the selling price.

Now if old korn dog says he's more or less in a rural area, behind fences, gates, garages, good for him.
But he's not telling you that he doesn't live in the poor side of town, and resides in a very wealthy section of the area, were some consider it to be the Beverly Hills, of Northern California.
Common for 850 thousand dollar homes, and into the lower millions, for home values.
I'm sure those residents ain't gonna be putting up with auto repairs in the driveway, where codes, restrictions, with what you can, and cannot do.

I do agree with most of what you wrote. No matter where I live, I would not want to see shitty cars in various stages of disrepair.
A real sticking point for me is the loss of freedom to do what you want behind closed doors.

The govmnt cracks down on car hobbyists, but homeless crap in streets and drug dealers on every corner is just fine. Put the enforcement where it's needed.

I agree with others in that of you can't see it at the end of the day with the doors shut, who cares what people do in their garage? Just like the the rest of their house or back yard.

If you can’t wear a suit and tie, don’t join the country club. The word “eyesore” cracks me up!

I agree with others in that of you can't see it at the end of the day with the doors shut, who cares what people do in their garage? Just like the the rest of their house or back yard.
West Sacramento, eh.
You in a newer development, or area of town that's more industrial, what Wast Sac. is noted for?
You allowed to do heavy work in your front driveway, where your at?
What this is all about, in plain view.

If you can’t wear a suit and tie, don’t join the country club. The word “eyesore” cracks me up!
Well, what word or words, would you have liked me to use?
Exactly just what it is, an eyesore.
Perfectly acceptable word to use.
Then how about a pile of ****?
Lets park this junker in front of your house then.
See how you like it.

Last edited:
West Sacramento, eh.
You in a newer development, or area of town that's more industrial, what Wast Sac. is noted for?
You allowed to do heavy work in your front driveway, where your at?
What this is all about, in plain view.

I do plenty of work on my cars in my driveway, but as others said, at the end of the day, garage doors are shut with no sign of anything from street view. This thread isn't all about you. If you read the zoning code referenced in the original post, it has no mention of 'plain view.' It prohibits "major repair and maintenance of personal vehicles" in a residential estate, regardless of where it's done on the estate. To me, if it's cleaned up at the end of the day behind a garage door, who cares. Again, my views have nothing to do with your situation. Couldn't care less what happens in your hood.

-
Back