Sacramento County ban on home “major auto repair”

-
I do plenty of work on my cars in my driveway, but as others said, at the end of the day, garage doors are shut with no sign of anything from street view. This thread isn't all about you. If you read the zoning code referenced in the original post, it has no mention of 'plain view.' It prohibits "major repair and maintenance of personal vehicles" in a residential estate, regardless of where it's done on the estate. To me, if it's cleaned up at the end of the day behind a garage door, who cares. Again, my views have nothing to do with your situation. Couldn't care less what happens in your hood.
And i in turn don't care what your doing over there, in your part of town.
Not a neighbor to me on my street.
I used "in plain view" to get my statement across.
What didn't you like about that? might i ask?

I had a cars front up on jackstands for about 3 days. I got a 4 car driveway and it was up against the garage door with a truck behind it and the SC and minivan parked bumber to bumper next to it. I still got a notice saying it was a nuisance and a safety hazard to have that car up on stands for more than a day. No prob, the parts came in that day anyway the the stands came out that evening. But the gall of someone calling me out: my A-hole neighbor drags his trashcans out at 11pm, doesnt haul them back in until 4 days after the truck comes by to save his parking spots, and even mows his lawns either with a headlamp on at 9PM or 7AM on the weekends. Never mind the skill saw until 10pm in his backyard....Only thing he's good for is borrowing home tools from, the guy seems to have everything..Has a power drain snake! oh, BTW..did I mention he parks his class-C motorhome on his front lawn? I think he gets away with that because he cemented 2 pads on his front lawn beside the house so he can drive it off without killing the grass. I had my beater truck parked in the dirt between my driveway and the property wall (where the trash cans usually sit, just mowed weeds over there) and code enforcement let me know I could not park a vehicle there as it wasnt paved. Well, guess what is getting paved with gravel next summer? :icon_fU: Meanwhile, a 'clown house' down my street has 6 cars parked in the 4 car driveway and another 5 cars parked in front at the curb. Must be 20 people living in that house. 2 car garage converted to 'bedrooms' when they were opened once. (that is in itself a violation as well as a non-permitted multiple-occupancy dwelling in a residential area). I try not to stir the pot, but its getting harder in my old age...as my boys tell me.."Get off my lawn!"

Last edited:
Now who would want to put up with anything like this, living in a residential neighborhood?
This is what i saw, had to put up with, when i got code enforcement involved with the next door neighbor.
Somebody moves in, and brings down the neighborhood with their unacceptable behavior.
What you see just isn't right, and a reason the city has codes to regulate something like this.

View attachment 1715469735

View attachment 1715469736
I did that with an Olds 98 once when I was swapping engines. Had an A frame over the car, the new engine sitting next to it, hood past that. Cops came and told me I had to clean it up, and gave me two weeks. Neighbor was showing a house for sale three days later. She could have just asked me to clean it up, and it would have looked like any other parked car. Nope, it looked the same as when the cops were there. She wouldn't look at me until after I was done, then waved at me smiling. The cops didn't care, but they had to do something since they were called. Since then, every place I've lived I've had neighbors that didn't mind us working on cars outside. As long as progress is being made, it doesn't bother me.

Now who would want to put up with anything like this, living in a residential neighborhood?
This is what i saw, had to put up with, when i got code enforcement involved with the next door neighbor.
Somebody moves in, and brings down the neighborhood with their unacceptable behavior.
What you see just isn't right, and a reason the city has codes to regulate something like this.

View attachment 1715469735

View attachment 1715469736
GOD forbid some struggling human being gets into a car wreck and tries to fix THEIR car on THEIR property for safety and to continue to contribute to society.

Get bent and pack sand.

Take YOUR wealth instead of whining and help. Don’t want to contribute to a solution? Don’t want to be supportive?
Then keep your trap shut unless selling your near by home.

A reasonable amount of time should be granted.

Every asset hole that whines about someone else fixing their car is a POS snob that should have bought in a gated community.

Should a growing mess be allowed? Hell no!

But one modern car getting repaired by the owner?

Not everyone has money to shell out on $25-50,000 vehicles every few years.

I blew my paycheck on the best house I could afford. I moved into a neighborhood of classic cars, trucks, boats, RV’s, etc.

If I want to drive an old car that needs maintenance, on my property or it gets wrecked & I fix it on my property, THEN THAT IS MY BUSINESS-with concessions for people selling their home and a reasonable amount of time to fix their car.

In my area code enforcement is selective.
For example.
You can park a unregistered,unkept,uninsured motorhome,and live in it on a city street. Throw garbage out the window and piss on the sidewalk all day long. You can rob the neighborhood blind and your golden. Nobody can touch or move you. There is no profit in it.
However if you bring home a classic car and try to work on it on your own property, then some rat fink will look over fence and snitch. There is profit in that.

I keep hoping some virus will come along and thin the human herd a bit.

GOD forbid some struggling human being gets into a car wreck and tries to fix THEIR car on THEIR property for safety and to continue to contribute to society.

Get bent and pack sand.

Take YOUR wealth instead of whining and help. Don’t want to contribute to a solution? Don’t want to be supportive?

Every asset hole that whines about someone else fixing their car is a POS snob that should have bought in a gated community.

I blew my paycheck on the best house I could afford. I moved into a neighborhood of classic cars, trucks, boats, RV’s, etc.

If I want to drive an old car that needs maintenance, on my property or it gets wrecked & I fix it on my property, THEN THAT IS MY BUSINESS-with concessions for people selling their home and a reasonable amount of time to fix their car.

I am all for someone fixing their car. It's what we do. It's the clown neighbor that brings them in, dismantles them to be left up on block (not kidding) and continues to the next vehicle. It's the people who have zero respect for their surroundings that brought me into this thread. But if it's someone trying to get back on the road to make a paycheck, walk the dog, or save a buck and they aren't an ***, there is a good chance my neighbor will have another set of hands helping them....

In other news I get some fresh Brunswick stew today.... Yummy....

JW

Get bent and pack sand.

Well let me tell you something, as you seem to be on the other side of the fence as to having cars on property that belong at a body and fender shop instead of a residential driveway.
Tell you what, send me a picture of your place, and the hood that you live in, and how you would like junk cars dumped off in front of your place all the time.
If i could beam every one of them over to you like Star Trek, i sure would like to do that, to see how you feel about that.
You seem to think that I'm Rockefeller with a million dollar bank account, and an elitist when it comes to my living conditions.
You want to know how i get by in life, and old age?
Social Security doesn't get you anything anymore, never really did, and i have a savings account, from the days when i was a working man.
Yes, i knew how to save, so that's a big plus now that i'm and old man.
Every so often a car part or two sells, to help out in the paying of food, rent, utilities, insurances, internet, phone, and every other expense that we have to pay each month.
Live here in my hood by choice, and within my income.
Not Beverly Hills, but a neighborhood that i do not want to see becoming a slum, or a street with smashed cars on it.
Tell me what's wrong with that.
You can also consider me, being a "neighborhood watch" guy around here as if people don't know me by name, they would recognize me as the old man that walks around the block, all the time.
My block, takes me a mile, so i do my best to keep my area free of derelict abandoned cars, if one shows up at the beginning of the street, or note something if i see something that just doesn't look right.
Code Enforcement personnel tell me they naturally can't be everywhere all the time, and appreciate the help that i give them, in the performance of their job.

Last edited:
Well let me tell you something, as you seem to be on the other side of the fence as to having cars on property that belong at a body and fender shop instead of a residential driveway.
Tell you what, send me a picture of your place, and the hood that you live in, and how you would like junk cars dumped off in front of your place all the time.
If i could beam every one of them over to you like Star Trek, i sure would like to do that, to see how you feel about that.
You seem to think that I'm Rockefeller with a million dollar bank account, and an elitist when it comes to my living conditions.
Social Security doesn't get you anything anymore, never really did, and i have a savings account, from the days when i was a working man.
Every so often a car part or two sells, to help out in the paying of food, rent, utilities, insurances, internet, phone, and every other expense that we have to pay each month.
Not Beverly Hills, but a neighborhood that i do not want to see becoming a slum, or a street with smashed cars on it.
You can also consider me, being a "neighborhood watch" guy around here as if people don't know me by name, they would recognize me as the old man that walks around the block, all the time.
My block, takes me a mile, so i do my best to keep my area free of derelict abandoned cars, if one shows up at the beginning of the street, or note something if i see something that just doesn't look right.
Code Enforcement personnel tell me they naturally can't be everywhere all the time, and appreciate the help that i give them, in the performance of their job.
Your post/picture illustrated a singular wrecked car, including repair. - I am for home repair.

I completely sympathize with you too if it is a constant train of wrecks.

As I actually was (kinda) THAT guy,
I:
Moved into a old car heavy neighborhood (after burglary out in the rural unknown)

Put up a wooden fence around back yard & stored projects there.-all (3) on inflated tires, with new tarps, registration, & insurance.

House kept painted, good trim, best looking fence in the entire town (redwood stained wood) copper pyramid caps on posts.

Worked in garage and on my driveway.
No trash in yard. Immaculate, golfable front lawn, grass is blue with fertilizer chemicals.

For All neighbors I dug their post holes and helped install their fence, repair their driveway, checked on them during hurricanes, painted one’s house,and asked if they had any problems with my hobby.

No revving of engine at night nor early morning.

Once in a while there was a purge, with lots of trash set out and picked up by sanitation.

Plus I was one of those dumbass saints that took care of a derelict brother-in-law. So 3 adults living in a 4 bedroom house.-not anymore thank GOD. (EXTRA CAR PARKED OUT FRONT)

Last edited:
The last guy that was the renter in the duplex to the right of me, changed drastically after he got fired from his job, couldn't get unemployment money, couldn't get another job, because he was fired because of starting a fight with a customer of the company that he worked at.
He became a scrapper, scrounger, junk yarder, hoarder, and would clean out houses, when someone moved out.
The crap that he would drag home, leave in this trailer in the driveway, or leave in piles of crap on the street for the refuse company to come by, and pick up.
Finally got evicted for not paying rent for months on end, and played the eviction system for as long as he could.
When he left, thank god, getting new neighbors, hope they are ok.
Introduced myself to who i thought was moving in, and turned out they scammed the application process saying 2 guys would be moving in, and before i could figure it all out, and put 2 and 2 together, it was like Motel 6 coming in and out of that place.
That "issue" has seemed to have gone away, but then cars that didn't belong to the renters started to get worked on, wether friends, family, co workers, i wouldn't know.
Then one afternoon the smashed Toyota shows up in the driveway.
That's when Code Enforcement, and the building owner, got involved with all this.
Guess it worked, as they seem to have complied with the ordinance, as i haven't had any more vehicles worked on.
Keep my fingers crossed, as i hope everything is all over and done with.

Last edited:
That's my Roscoe.... Hemi 71X you have had it with crappy renters. It the entire system. I suspect if a neighbor was right in all aspects of life and I just trying to get their car back on the road it wouldn't rub you so bad. As said, people don't understand the situation until they are in it...

For my situation I blame the property owner beside me. He's the root of my problem. And I suspect you are in the same boat....

JW

if there is a harbor nearby? go dump some tea in it...this is a free country! I have 8 cars total in my driveway and drive at my outbuilding in rear. all are plated run and drive except one 65 barracuda parts car. I had code enforcement tell me I was in violation and could not have that many cars or work on them outside. "I was lowering their property values." I told him to bring me an appraisal before and after the cars with an appraisers note that my cars made their houses less valuable. That was about a year ago. Its been what I consider almost a national past time for a father and son to build hot rods together in this country indoors or outdoors. Nobody ever told George Washington or Alexander Hamilton how many horses they could have.

if there is a harbor nearby? go dump some tea in it...this is a free country! I have 8 cars total in my driveway and drive at my outbuilding in rear. all are plated run and drive except one 65 barracuda parts car. I had code enforcement tell me I was in violation and could not have that many cars or work on them outside. "I was lowering their property values." I told him to bring me an appraisal before and after the cars with an appraisers note that my cars made their houses less valuable. That was about a year ago. Its been what I consider almost a national past time for a father and son to build hot rods together in this country indoors or outdoors. Nobody ever told George Washington or Alexander Hamilton how many horses they could have.
More power to ya, if you can insure 8 cars, pay registration on them, and drive them.
Then you're a lucky man, no issues with that, what so ever.
You must have a large driveway, if you can have something like that in your neighborhood.
How close are houses from one another, in your part of the world?
But in your case too, your code enforcement, might be keeping a eye out for you.
So keep it legal, and under their radar, would seem to be appropriate.

More power to ya, if you can insure 8 cars, pay registration on them, and drive them.
Then you're a lucky man, no issues with that, what so ever.
You must have a large driveway, if you can have something like that in your neighborhood.
But in your case too, your code enforcement, might be keeping a eye out for you.
Some states, registration is cheap.
The insurance can be bought ultra cheap for a non running vehicle to meet code enforcement requirements.

Some states do not inspect vehicles every year.

Rural America is easier to live in.

Living next to rental property is YOUR problem. The landlord can do what most landlords did across the entire U.S. and raise rent high enough to keep out the rift raft.

For some reason, no matter how much they charge, people pay or go homeless.

Then you a lucky man, no issues with that, what so ever.

thanks brother...we don't have to have insurance unless we are driving the cars on public roads. we do have to have registration. antique plates rarely driven are $28.00 per car for 5 years each. (so I have under $300.00 in all 8 cars).The code enforcement officer can watch all he wants...just because an ordinance is passed does not mean it can be enforced. Ordinances are general guidelines passed by a minority... not a referendum of popular vote (which is what a democracy is based on)

thanks brother...we don't have to have insurance unless we are driving the cars on public roads. we do have to have registration. antique plates rarely driven are $28.00 per car for 5 years each. (so I have under $300.00 in all 8 cars).The code enforcement officer can watch all he wants...just because an ordinance is passed does not mean it can be enforced. Ordinances are general guidelines passed by a minority... not a referendum of popular vote (which is what a democracy is based on)
Then your a very fortunate guy, living where you do, in paying whatever to have to register cars, or insuring them.
But, not in my part of the word.
You in the city? Rural? Semi Rural? Farm? where you can do things?

Some states, registration is cheap.
The insurance can be bought ultra cheap for a non running vehicle to meet code enforcement requirements.

Some states do not inspect vehicles every year.

Rural America is easier to live in.

Living next to rental property is YOUR problem. The landlord can do what most landlords did across the entire U.S. and raise rent high enough to keep out the rift raft.

For some reason, no matter how much they charge, people pay or go homeless.
Yes, living where i do is certainly my issue.
What's it to you if i live in a rental community, or where folks may own their home, or make mortgage payments?
I rent, as i never needed to own a house outright, single, never got married, no need for a mortgage payment.
I'm one of population that home ownership never suited me, for my past income, or life style.
So then in your mind, what's so wrong with that?
Makes you a better human than me, that you own a house, and that i choose to rent?
Want to answer that question for me, if you would?

When i discharged out of the Air Force, back in 1980, after 7 years of active duty, i chose to stay where I'm at.
I could naturally have gone anywhere that i wanted to.
But i never had any intentions of ever going back to Waterbury,Connecticut, the arm pit of that state, that i left, where i grew up.
So , I'm at where I'm at, and your where your at.
Simple enough, wouldn't you say.

Last edited:
What's it to you if i live in a rental community, or where folks may own their home, or make mortgage payments?
I rent, as i never needed to own a house outright, single, never got married, no need for a mortgage payment.
I'm one of population that home ownership never suited me, for my past income, or life style.
Makes you a better human than me, that you own a house, and that i choose to rent?
It’s nothing to me until you make a (poor?) choice then complain about it and lean on others to solve your problems.

If you put it out there, it’s open for criticism.

Literally complaining about auto repairs to a community that does car repairs.

You should consider the irony.

Not in VA. Current plates require insurance and DMV will randomly check on the status of insurance. If you do not have insurance SR22. If you have the tags and are not on a vehicle it doesn't matter in our state. SR22. It's always interesting to see what some states have in their laws. We just passed a law where you can no longer have your license suspended due to unpaid court fees. That was a special moment for those who duck the law and don't own up for their mistakes...

JW

It’s nothing to me until you make a (poor?) choice then complain about it and lean on others to solve your problems.

Never made a poor choice in where i live.
This is still a nice neighborhood, until problems came about with former tenants next door, and then the current ones that moved in.
THEY are the ones that made it for the way it became, for me to have a issue with it.
You understand that?

When i discharged out of the Air Force, back in 1980, after 7 years of active duty, i chose to stay where I'm at.
I could naturally have gone anywhere that i wanted to.
But i never had any intentions of ever going back to Waterbury,Connecticut, the arm pit of that state, that i left, where i grew up.
So , I'm at where I'm at, and your where your at.
Simple enough, wouldn't you say.

Until you, or someone like you, comes here after it's too expensive to stay where you are now. How's the population in California, again? Holding steady?

Very well stated.

Literally complaining about auto repairs to a community that does car repairs.

You should consider the irony.

Or the door.

Never made a poor choice in where i live.
This is still a nice neighborhood, until problems came about with former tenants next door, and then the current ones that moved in.
THEY are the ones that made it for the way it became, for me to have a issue with it.
You understand that?

Let's see....everyone else has to meet your standard?

-
Back