Sad Ending to My Dart Build

-
Thanks for all of the kind words of support everyone. This place is one of my favorite spots on the web for reasons like this. We will all move on together and I'll start on another project eventually.

I'll try to answer some of the questions the best I can. So far, State Farm has been cooperative and both adjusters have been nice guys and pleasant to deal with. They totalled the vehicle just from looking at the pictures I provided. I have some from the night of the accident and they look really bad.

sMs6m2mqKQ60ErrGU163dCtMPQ=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

mFqv-USoJ9O_o8TjaXYKA8MebQ=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

The Dart was in my buddy's garage because he has a lift and we were working on it getting it ready for this show season. It was not a commercial venture and no money ever exchanged hands. He had the keys in a separate room and they busted the ignition and trunk lock to get at the contents. I still have my keys.
kWngp2SxiSeK7B67JuPjSGJGGA=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

The vehicle was professionally appraised 5 years ago and insured for that amount. Since then, I have made improvements and always keep my receipts. I have two thick manila folders full. Plus I have TONS of pictures from last summer showing the work that has been done to it. I feel confident that we will be able to come to an agreeable amount to all parties. If not, I have my attorney standing by.

As to the POSs that stole it (they also stole 2 Harleys and a 1989 Ford Bronco from my buddy) the police have some solid leads. Within hours they had a suspect in mind who has been involved in nefarious conduct including suspected auto theft. Hopefully, that turns out to be his finger print or cell phone that they found in the car. I'm not a vengeful person and believe that eventually they'll slip up and get caught. I back the badge and trust the system. They'll get whats coming to them. My buddy on the other hand, is following up on leads and forwarding them on to the Sheriff's department. This is kind of big crime in a small rural area so the police are all over this case.

Thanks for your support everyone. I'll keep this thread updated as I receive more info.

That's a shame but imo totally fixable, imagine the back story you'll have to tell. Some what similar to the " black ghost" only with a theft recovery/ restoration.

That's a shame but imo totally fixable, imagine the back story you'll have to tell. Some what similar to the " black ghost" only with a theft recovery/ restoration.
I was a body man back in the day. I always got the heavy hits. I agree it could be saved but your frame man better be top notch. May have to pull and then change a rail or two . Or replace front clip after pull. Maybe left rear rail too? JMO Would love to see detailed pics but if me might make me sick doing so.:(

I feel your pain and sorry to hear and see that. In 1998 I had my 67 GTS fully restored and stored in my basement. I had a problem with the 440 that a guy in Hueytown had built for me and he had it back in his shop. An F5 tornado came through and destroyed everything I wincluding my house. My daughter and I along with GTS were covered up in basement. Top mashed in, passenger door pulled open and touching floor, front cap had to be replaced and every piece of trim that I had restored was destroyed. The hood was off because of pulling engine back out was found about 3/4 mile wrapped around a tree about 15 ft in the air.
The bad thing was I hadn't got it insured because I had never drove it out the driveway and thought it was safe locked in basement. I didn't get a dime out of it but I fixed it back.
I sure hope your insurance takes care of it and you find what you need to get back to work, Joe

Man that sucks! I wish that on nobody! When out and about I leave the car unlocked, thinking it will cause less damage!

Stolen out of a Garage really SUX.

As some of you know, I've had my Dart for almost 17 years now. I have been working on it slowly but surely and finally had it to a point where I was happy with it's looks and appearance. Here is a pic from a show last summer.

View attachment 1716061110

Well, shortly after midnight Tuesday morning, someone broke into my buddy's garage and stole my pride and joy and decided to take it for a joy ride. Of course it was during a torrential downpour and the drag radials wouldn't cooperate. This is the result.

View attachment 1716061114

I'm still in shock and can't believe that this happened. The thief bailed at the scene but prints were lifted and police found a cell phone inside. The car is fully insured with State Farm as an antique/classic and a claim has been filed. Now, I have to deal with the adjuster for an agreeable value. I have had the car appraised so hopefully that process won't be too bad.

I would like to buy it back and find a nice roller to put my drive train into. If anyone has a lead on one, send me a message.

Thanks for letting me vent. This hunk of chrome and paint has become a part of our family and my adult children actually cried when they saw the pictures. I guess it's time to start the next phase of my Mopar life.
Sorry to hear. I suggest keeping in touch with both the LE agency/detective handling the case AND making sure that the maximum charge the elements of the crime meet, are what he/she is charged with AND tried for. This will likely require you meeting with the DA and pushing them/holding them accountable. Depending on what kind of a record the suspect has, they will likely try to bargain this down. This isn't the 2003 family Buick they stole and totaled, this is a significant, "rare" work that is not going to be replaced easily. It was more than a "hunk of chrome and paint" if adult children (who grew up with great memories from the car) were moved to tears on hearing the news. Really sorry to hear. Best of luck in all going forward.

The car is safely stored inside now (again) and here are some more pics. I think the front end was hit harder than I initially thought. The front clip is pushed to the right so far that the right door is catching on the fender. There is also more damage to the right quarter as shown.

jtImGQeP_W1XusGwRLNCZCrBA=w1019-h767-no?authuser=0.jpg

D6QQ6rSeG8uYIOZZDr4RlxqDw=w1019-h767-no?authuser=0.jpg

QjHp9-T_yV9yCg4cpKJhjrihQ=w1019-h767-no?authuser=0.jpg

Why in the hell did they break my wiper switch and knob?!?!?!? We didn't try to start it because the wires to the ignition switch are all torn out, so we don't know if there's a knock in the engine. They also tried to pull out my fan controller from the glove box causing the car to overheat and boil over. :mad:

Seeing all the pictures you've posted i still think its totally repairable and would be as good or better than before imo . Worth saving without a doubt. Strip the car down to just the body/ Put it on a bench at reputable shop / pull it back to shape/ replace all the twisted & damaged steel with amd panels & parts. In the end its your call what the path forward is going to be.

Sorry for your loss Brian. What a beautiful car!! I hope you can get it rebuilt and back on the road. As for the perp(s) I am going to guess.....a long rap sheet and don't expect much justice. Seems to be the norm nowadays. Good luck to you.

I have the Max with Hagerty. My DDs are with State Farm. My late wife wrecked her '01 Forester and I told SF we wanted to keep the car. They gave me a number less the deductible, what they thought the wreck was worth and cut me the check and it was enough to fix the car. I was driving her '90 Legacy and got whacked and Progressive did the same thing and we had the car fixed.

Ah that sucks Brian. You did me a favor, let me know if there is anything a local guy can do to help. Hopefully everything works out on the insurance side.

L
As some of you know, I've had my Dart for almost 17 years now. I have been working on it slowly but surely and finally had it to a point where I was happy with it's looks and appearance. Here is a pic from a show last summer.

View attachment 1716061110

Well, shortly after midnight Tuesday morning, someone broke into my buddy's garage and stole my pride and joy and decided to take it for a joy ride. Of course it was during a torrential downpour and the drag radials wouldn't cooperate. This is the result.

View attachment 1716061114

I'm still in shock and can't believe that this happened. The thief bailed at the scene but prints were lifted and police found a cell phone inside. The car is fully insured with State Farm as an antique/classic and a claim has been filed. Now, I have to deal with the adjuster for an agreeable value. I have had the car appraised so hopefully that process won't be too bad.

I would like to buy it back and find a nice roller to put my drive train into. If anyone has a lead on one, send me a message.

Thanks for letting me vent. This hunk of chrome and paint has become a part of our family and my adult children actually cried when they saw the pictures. I guess it's time to start the next phase of my Mopar life.
Looks like it may be fixable. I would look into that route first.

Wow Brother, that's just Wrong as heck. Don't know what your agreed Value was to the insurance company, but start at 35k or more. I caint put a value on it. Damn I hate Thieves.... hope he gets his *** beat Dumber than his rotten crooked..... alright, I'm gonna Refrain from going off..... Man Hope it Works out for you Sir!
More than likely he knows the thieves. That's the sad part of it all.

Wow Brian that is really sad. Sorry you are having to go through this. This however is a great site and I am sure we all will help out with whatever we can.

-
Back