Safe max RPM for bone stock 5.9 magnum

-
The bottom should hold up like any other stock 360. The stock top ends, as said, are the limiters. OP says its cammed n carb'd n intaked and headered...so rev it to the cams content. If it pops...build it to survive the cam range next time.

The bottom should hold up like any other stock 360. The stock top ends, as said, are the limiters. OP says its cammed n carb'd n intaked and headered...so rev it to the cams content. If it pops...build it to survive the cam range next time.
Post 11.

stock cam/springs 100,000 mile junkyard gem.

I had my 40,000 mile after stock rebuild LA 360 to 5800 several times with no ill effects.

AFB 4 barrel with mild unknown cam (may have been MP 272) and stock 360 manifolds with 2.5 duals, 3.23 SG. Auto with low buck DIY "shift kit".

I was afraid to go to 6K, so decided to stop at 5.8.

IIRC the best ET was shifting at 5600 in the 1/8 mile. Mid 9 seconds in the 8th.

73 Duster street driver.

Your long bed truck weighs what??

My Dakota ext cab weighs 4200.
My 73 Satellite stripper weighs 3700.

Last edited:
I had my 40,000 mile after stock rebuild LA 360 to 5800 several times with no ill effects.

AFB 4 barrel with mild unknown cam (may have been MP 272) and stock 360 manifolds with 2.5 duals, 3.23 SG. Auto with low buck DIY "shift kit".

I was afraid to go to 6K, so decided to stop at 5.8.

IIRC the best ET was shifting at 5600 in the 1/8 mile. Mid 9 seconds in the 8th.

Your long bed truck weighs what??

My Dakota ext cab weighs 4200.
My 73 Satellite stripper weighs 3700.
If you mean me, my truck weighs about 3600 lbs with nobody in it and a 1/4 tank of gas.

Ya- you.

What did you remove?

Ya- you.

What did you remove?
removed? heater box, radio, antenna, carpet, large door mirrors for one car mirror, spare tire carrier and rear bumper for a plank of wood. It has manual steering and brakes. Still has the 15" steel wheels all the way around with dog dish hub caps.

Most recent picture from this winter... LOL
dscn4658-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

I wouldn’t be afraid of taking it to 6000 rpm.

The 5.9 magnum in my 02 Ram 2500 had a rev limiter at 5500. Only hit it a few times when I was adjusting the trans cable…

@skep419 the valve springs in the stock magnums are junk and barely adequate for the stock roller cam. With a factory intake you’re all done at about 5200. No reason to spin it more than that. If you’re going to keep the stock cam, throw a set of springs on it and you’ll get a few hundred more rpm out of it. It won’t make more power but you can shift a little higher. As they are stock, they’re all done making power way before the safe rpm limit. There are a few shelf comp roller cams that are a really nice upgrade and Holdener has some you tube videos on em.

I’ve had horrible engine luck the last few years. I’m trying to change as little as possible and just keep it together until the snow flies. Sounds like I need to find a 5200 rev chip.
I am very impressed so far with this bone stock magnum. I’ll probably swap in the 3.23’s shortly but the 3.91’s are a blast :usflag:

I’ve had horrible engine luck the last few years. I’m trying to change as little as possible and just keep it together until the snow flies. Sounds like I need to find a 5200 rev chip.
I am very impressed so far with this bone stock magnum. I’ll probably swap in the 3.23’s shortly but the 3.91’s are a blast :usflag:
Put a couple turbos on one. You’ll really be impressed.

Must be an older 6AL setup, haven't seen a chip setup in some time. The box I have on my old Ford has a set of dials.

Must be an older 6AL setup, haven't seen a chip setup in some time. The box I have on my old Ford has a set of dials.

Yep it’s old but works great. I’m not one to replace anything that isn’t broken, especially with all the junk parts being produced nowadays.

Yep it’s old but works great. I’m not one to replace anything that isn’t broken, especially with all the junk parts being produced nowadays.

I hear that.. chip is fine as long as you can still get the numbers ya need.

9810B8AF-54B1-4211-BED0-05E3352ADF75.jpeg
I just bought a 6 BTM a few months ago. Still has a chip.

420C4C06-52B0-4E7F-A660-3D7D9CE53B9F.jpeg

C99B8FA8-184E-40AB-8ADE-6A9CEBB92B6A.jpeg
6787573E-72BE-4A5F-AA9E-633A8B7C9B51.jpeg

2914E9FE-2F1D-49C9-8B24-BA26F6E9406B.jpeg

Got the 3.23’s back in on my lunch break. Didn’t have time to swap the speedo gear.

That’s the way to slam dunk a third member in. It’s a bit of a PIA on your back since there a bit weighty.

True but 5.3 LS can get 500 hp with just cam and headers, most I’ve seen so far with magnum is 414 hp, magnum is more on par with older 350 vortec, still a great option for us low dollar mopar guys.

400+ on a truck long block with cam and headers.

And makes enough power to have some fun in an A body.

On regular gas, no less.

-
Back