Safe to use Wheel Adapters 5 on 4" to 4.5"?

-
i made these and threaded the axles stud holes to 1/2-20 and mounted them with counter sunk headed fasteners . these never had issues front or rear , and i made then in both gm and mopar bolt patterns . and 1/2-20 counter sunk headed fasteners . to mount the rims too as well .
DSC07826.JPG
DSC07827.JPG
DSC07828.JPG
DSC07829.JPG

Sounds like horse **** to me. Spacers are far worse than a billet adapter. Most people just put a spacer on without even increasing the the length of the studs. Quality adapters wouldn't have that problem.
I would call a small mom and pop tire shop. Large corporate stores won't do a lot of things for liability reasons, but they are wrong about the spacers in my opinion.

Sounds like horse **** to me. Spacers are far worse than a billet adapter. Most people just put a spacer on without even increasing the the length of the studs. Quality adapters wouldn't have that problem.
I would call a small mom and pop tire shop. Large corporate stores won't do a lot of things for liability reasons, but they are wrong about the spacers in my opinion.
Thanks! That's whatIwhat thought and let them know. Been buying 95% of my tires from them since the 80s. Guess my valiant will be the exception.

So, I'm converting to disc brakes up front (65 Plymouth Valiant Signet convertible) so that takes care of the front. The rear I had planned to use high quality billet 1" adapters. I ordered 15x7 front/15x8 rear US Mag U107 rims with 215/65/15 front/ 235/60/15 rear Cooper Cobra tires from Discount Tire. I told them that I intended to use rear adapters, even showing them to them, when I ordered and paid for the package. Today they tell me they are in but, not only won't they mount them, they would not even sell the rear ones to me knowing my intentions! They said they have a new policy about adapters but could mount to spacers. So, I can cancel and order from someone who will mount to adapters or I can explore other ways to get a 5x4.5 pattern in the rear. Any experience, ideas or advice out there? Thanks in advance...

I would guess the tech didn't explain it correctly. When I had an America's tire mount my new tires a few years back they wouldn't re-install the 3mm spacers I had on the front at the time. No problems mounting a 275/35/18 on an 18x9" rim on a '74 Duster, but the 3mm spacer was a no go.

:rofl:

Either way, it's not about the spacer or the adaptor, it's just a policy to limit their liability. Like the alignment shops that won't adjust tubular UCA's unless they install them, it's not about the UCA's it's about 1. Them not getting the money for the install and 2. Liability

I would guess the tech didn't explain it correctly. When I had an America's tire mount my new tires a few years back they wouldn't re-install the 3mm spacers I had on the front at the time. No problems mounting a 275/35/18 on an 18x9" rim on a '74 Duster, but the 3mm spacer was a no go.

:rofl:

Either way, it's not about the spacer or the adaptor, it's just a policy to limit their liability. Like the alignment shops that won't adjust tubular UCA's unless they install them, it's not about the UCA's it's about 1. Them not getting the money for the install and 2. Liability
That's the jist of what he said - just bothered me because a year and a half ago I had a tundra with spacers all around and they never even mentioned them. Yeah I know - he said spacers don't change original bolt pattern where adapters do - dumb policy. They're losing $1400 - may not mean much to them but might be nice for a smaller shop.

That's the jist of what he said - just bothered me because a year and a half ago I had a tundra with spacers all around and they never even mentioned them. Yeah I know - he said spacers don't change original bolt pattern where adapters do - dumb policy. They're losing $1400 - may not mean much to them but might be nice for a smaller shop.

Yeah but from their perspective one lost lawsuit after a wreck pays for a lot of lost $1400 sales. I’m not saying it’s right but that’s how corporations work.

I agree with most of what others have said on here, especially about corporate policies to limit their liability. In the '60's and '70's most adapters were cast aluminum and those are unsafe In my opinion. I'm using the newer billet spacers and have had no issues in the 60K miles I've put on them.

DSCN0914.JPG

A better option is to have Moser re drill your axles to a 4.5 inch pattern. $65 a pair. He can also install 1/2-20 studs for another 17.50.

I have no use for most pass car adapters. I can still remember a couple incidents back in the 70's. Guy comes in with what was a nice 65 stang. Rear quarter is all torn off it was a mess. Wheel adapter. Guy lost a tire at the strip. Wheel adapter (Not sure they are even allowed?) But it was there, anyhow.

How bad are adapters? Think about THIS. There are some fairly fast cars running stuff like the old Mustang 4 bolt pattern, or imports. So if a 5 bolt adapter came loose, it must be a weak sister.

-
Back