Sagging Leaf Springs?

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought this car a few months back and am working on correcting things that the previous owner(s) did to it. One of the things that has bugged me since day one, is the stance. I've always thought that the rear set just a touch too low for my taste. My buddy thinks it looks good. I had ESPO +1 springs on my last A body so maybe that has something to do with it. Right now it has six leafs on each side and they appear to have been replaced at some time.

1694257867451.jpeg

When I took it to the alignment shop yesterday, I got a chance to look at the springs with the tires off but the weight loaded on the rear end. This is what the leafs look with weight on them.
1694258055447.jpeg

My question is, shouldn't a proper leaf spring retain it's arch even under load? It may be difficult to see in the pic above, but they are bending the other way. I had planned on replacing them but it wasn't high on my priority list until yesterday. What do you all think? Let 'em ride or get them out of there? Thanks!

Usually they would not be beyond the "flat" or straight but it looks good the way it is.
1694262494269.png

This is a stock height ESPO 6-leaf spring, although a 20 year old set. 25.6" dia tires...

I bought this car a few months back and am working on correcting things that the previous owner(s) did to it. One of the things that has bugged me since day one, is the stance. I've always thought that the rear set just a touch too low for my taste. My buddy thinks it looks good. I had ESPO +1 springs on my last A body so maybe that has something to do with it. Right now it has six leafs on each side and they appear to have been replaced at some time.

View attachment 1716139287
When I took it to the alignment shop yesterday, I got a chance to look at the springs with the tires off but the weight loaded on the rear end. This is what the leafs look with weight on them.
View attachment 1716139288
My question is, shouldn't a proper leaf spring retain it's arch even under load? It may be difficult to see in the pic above, but they are bending the other way. I had planned on replacing them but it wasn't high on my priority list until yesterday. What do you all think? Let 'em ride or get them out of there? Thanks!
The stance looks good. No rake but good. Personally, I like a little arch/rake. It is a period correct look for those cars.

002.JPG

-
Back