Votes: 146 54.1%
  • As far back as possible, leverage!

Votes: 90 33.3%
  • It doesn't (bleeping) matter!

Votes: 34 12.6%

• Total voters
-
i fear accidents with weight in the bed of a truck

I used to have railroad irons in the back of my truck. But slid off the road and hit a tree. After checking out the damage i noticed the rails had pierced a hole in the bed .. and was almost through the cab. After that i started the sand bag idea, but when i saw an article about a tissue box being able to kill someone in an accident. I removed the sand bags and run with out extra weight.

I have heard the Blizzack's work good. Winterforce too?
Winterforce are a GREAT tire, especially when you factor the performance for the dollar. Blizzak's tend to do better in ice, but in area's like here in SE wisconsin where they salt aggressively, you get slush...and as far as that goes, winterforce tend to excel.

I learned that 2x trucks are nearly worthless...the hard way.

That's not always the case. Tires are a huge part. My 93 Dakota was absolutely useless on snow when I first bought it. Even with 200+ lbs. of weight in the back. When it came time to change tires I got some snow tires put on and you couldn't hardly stop it. I had it lowered 2 in the front and 3 in the back and I could stop in snow up to the grill and take right back off like it was hardly there. Had a buddy that had an old International 4x4 and I could go places he couldn't with his locked in 4wd.

As for the original question. I find no difference over the axle or at the back end when the weight added is just 200-300 lbs. If you stop and think of it adding 200 lbs. 2-3 foot behind the rear axle can't affect the front end very much cause the front end is so much heavier. I doubt 200 lbs. behind the axle would take 50 lbs. off the front wheels. Just not enough leverage there IMO.

I have a bladder that I fill full of water. It then freezes. Weighs about b300 pounds frozen. Fits the contours of the bed. In the spring I empty it, roll it up and store it on the shelf. Got it through Summit.

I say screw the hole theory of "over the axle or at the tail gate" sure if your hauling a fith wheel or something than precision placement would be a major factor.....but your goal is for some added traction.

if you running sand bags than I would basically try to position them as far back as possible.

HOWEVER, what I have ALWAYS done is utilize the white crap.

grew up here in michigan and this is how I have always done it whenever I was driving a 2 wheel drive truck in the winter.

don't bother with sand bags.

start shoveling that snow into the bed of your truck and fill it up, that will weigh it down!.

and if you are worried about the snow keeping contact with the metal and paint of your truck than throw a tarp in the bed before you pile snow in it.

also, doing it this way......if you feel like the snow is not doing the job well enough at weighing it down....you can go to the carwash and use the sprayer and spray some water at the snow to weigh it down from the added weight of the water and then pile more snow on top of it.

plus when you are done you do not have to do an back breaking labo because it will unload itself from your truck as the weather gets warmer and it melts away lol.

I wouldn't waste 2 cents on a 2-wheel drive truck,and can't live without a 4x4...

Don't own a truck anymore but when I did, and when we borrow my father-inlaws truck in goes the snow just like DusterDude72 said live down in Ohio southern part that has always worked for me.

Good discussions.

I don't think, at the 200-300 lb range, that it is going to make a significant difference either way.
Tires are 17" on 2002-2005 Dodge Ram wheels. I have a set of Chrome 20" wheels I normally run, and the tread on them is awesome, but the chrome would not last another winter without pitting, so on to the stockers. Tread is 50%. If I was in the market to buy I would get some snow tires, but the intent is to get through winter without ruining the nice wheels.

on the 2wd truck discussion: I don't need it consistently. This is a club cab, will carry the family in a pinch, and does the truck work I need it to. We don't consistently get this type of snow, so 2wd with sand bags does pretty well on a normal basis.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I have a 97 Ram 1500. I find it best to put 7-8 70lbs sandbags in it and over the axles. This way it puts the weight directly over the rear tires. This way the weight is pushing the leafs straight down instead of the rear half of the leafs being pushed down only. The idea is to plant the rear tires without lifting the fronts.
The reason I went with that many sandbags is I found that 200-300 lbs really didn't help much. I would still spin the tires from the spot lights.

My Ram is a 4x4 but with this much weight for normal street driving I don't need to put it into 4 wheel drive until it is real deep. I put a thick piece of plastic down(8 mil) covering the bed. I place 7-8 sandbags on it over the axles. I then cover them with the rest of the plastic. I tuck the ends under the bags so it doesn't blow around and come uncovered. I have used the same bags for 4 years.

Over the axle. Why? Leverage but in a centrifical sence.If you have the weight all the way to the back if you round a corner to fast with limited traction the centifical leverage will cause the rear to slide tward the outside of the turn. When I lived in northern Mich I had a big tractor tire tube cut in half and filled both halves with sand and tied off the ends. They would sit on the wheel tubs and not slide off. that way I still had the whole bed to haul stuff.

I just throw snow in the back as I shovel the driveway, its free doesnt make a mess like sand when it freezes and the bag splits, and then the snow melts out of the truck its melted on the ground

I voted for right over the axle. Build a sort of box around and between the wheel wells with 2x4 or whatever and place the sand there. At the back or bumper I'd think it would be more difficult to control the vehicle if it starts swaying and sliding around. Studded tires are a great idea but you really should run 4. Unless you dont mind losing your steering and 70% of braking power on the ice and snow....

I did not read everything but this is how I made a 2wd truck get me to work everyday.
94 dakota sport standard cab, swb, 6, 5-speed, 3.55 sure-grip.
Bought a stock standard extra spare tire from the junk yard.
Put rough tread snow tires with studs on both rims.
When winter came close, I took the summer treads off, put them in the bed up by the cab, (extra weight and easy access to the spare). Put the studed tires on.
Between the fender wells ran a row of cinder blocks.
Put a load bar at the end of the blocks so they would not slide around.
On each corner by the wheel wells I had a set of chains for the tires, that my dad gave me.
I never had to use the chains but they were there if needed.
Also there was a soft bed cover over the bed so if you needed anything out of the bed it was still dry.
I never had that truck stuck in the snow.

There is no argument. Sand is more effective at the tailgate, meaning "you don't need as much" as over the rear wheels.

You don't WANT to use more than necessary, because the more you use, the more you have to stop. In other words, if all that weight gets to sliding, front or rear, it's more weight you have to stop

Too much weight can indeed act as a lever and start to lighten the front wheels, and too much on a long bed (such as extended van) can act as a weight out there and "swing" the rear around if you start to fishtail.

If possible you want loose sand (not frozen) so you can shovel it under the tires for traction if stuck.

CARRY CHAINS, blanket, food, extra clothes, tools, boosters, flares, shovel.

A 25ft nylon rope (one that STRETCHES) is good, better than a strap, NOT those cheap yellow plastic ropes. Better to have a good tow hook up front, hitch ball in rear so you have something to easily hook onto.

I've pulled a LOT of larger vehicles out with a rope, back in the 340 powered FJ-40 days, and even a few with my (cough gag) Ford Courier.

I don't pull people out, anymore. Screw em. They have cellphones. Let'm sit there. They brought their beer instead of their snow tires. They brought their RAP CD's instead of extra clothes, and brought their "I can drive past you" attitude instead of chains and a shovel. Screw em.

When I was stationed in Alaska I used sandbags between the bumps of the bed over the wheels. I used prob around 20-30 bags each year. This was in my 2 wheel drive F-150 with a manual trans. Never put it in a ditch or got stuck in the ice at all.

to me it makes sense to put the weight in the bed, toward the cab, to center the weight,, works for me anyway...
what I do is towards the end of November I go to the local Lowes and get six 40 lb bags of top soil,, stack those in the bed, towards the cab end,, they lay flat, don't slide around,, next spring,, the wife always wants to re do some flower pots, or I put the soil on the garden,,use it up some where..

Anyone who puts the sand behind the rear wheels doesn't know what it is like to have a steer tire skid......................

fill the back tires with antifreeze and water. they sell the valves at the tractor place. Just kidding. They do fill tractor tires on box blades for better traction cutting drives and sidewalks. Would probably work but not be good at high speed. I have also seen it done on grove equipment for traction in sand.

Where to put sandbags, directly over the wheels, or in the back by the tailgate?

Opinions?

Where ever you can get um to fit!

I had to put one of em in a garbage bag....small sand leak! LOL!!

Attachments

• 59.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 900
Where to put sandbags, directly over the wheels, or in the back by the tailgate?

Opinions?
Lots of answers up there but I didn't see one that says leave the sand in the sandbox. Buy some good tires, and only carry a small bag of sand to put under the wheels if you get stuck.

-
Back