SB Commando electronic ignition conversion

-

trapster

Reaction score
Swapping out points for electronic in a 273 commando .

Will any Small block distributor work or are some better than others?

I am looking to get one out a a 73 318.

That's the MoPar way, yes it will work perfectly

Swapping out points for electronic in a 273 commando .

Will any Small block distributor work or are some better than others?

I am looking to get one out a a 73 318.

If it's in good shape, it should work OK

Some rambling from the mess of my pile of unknown distributors:

I keep hearing that the current shelf of "Mopar Performance" dist's are not "what they were" in quality.

Someone on here with an aftermarket, for get which replacement, was having problems finding a new vacuum advance

Generally, newer factory distributors have less than favorable advance curves, and you'll want to check yours. Because the smoggers of the '70's ran at zero or ATC at idle, they and LONG, SLOW advance curves. If you try and speed some of 'em up by putting in weaker springs, some advance further than you'd like.

You'll want to at least make sure the bushings are not too sloppy, and check the reluctor gap with a "non metallic" gauge, .008"

So far as a module, I decided to experiment, and am at the moment "going with" the GM HEI module instead of a Mopar ECU.

I am loving the improvement electronic ignition made in my 273.
Its a reman'd distributor and new ECU from AutoZone. Base timing is 16 degrees and vacuum advance is disconnected.
I did rework a good portion of the wiring at the same time so that might deserve partial credit for the improvement.

HEI conversion on these Mopar ECU ran distributors is a worthwhile venture. Look up HEI conversion and youll find a guy that makes a cool bracket that mounts under the distributor to hold the HEI module. Supoposed to have better dwell control and higher RPM capability. That is if you can stomach a chevy pacemaker on your Mopar muscle!

Or you can order a Pertronix # 1383 for your cast iron dual point. I have one but haven't installed it yet. I also bought one of their good coils to go with.

-
Back