SB Pulley Help Please

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I wasn't getting any help in my WANTED thread so I thought I would start another to try and find out what water pump pulley I need. Here is what I'm trying to clean up.

72b84971-c193-49a4-873b-59574e838d85_zpsdaedcf20.jpg

The previous owner used a mis-mash of various pulleys and hardware store items to get everything to line up. I dug through my junk and and found a good single groove crank pulley. It is actually a BPE #4011. According to their page, I need a #4015 which looks like this.

4015small.jpg

BPE Website

This appears to be a pretty common pulley that according to their website that fits "'70-'91 A-Engines w/ aluminum water pump, '87-'91 3.9L V-6 Engines, Magnum Crate Engines, All w/ or w/o P.S. & w/o A.C"

I would rather buy a used one from a member but seem to be having a hard time finding one for sale. Can anyone confirm that this is the pulley I need and does anyone know where I can find one for a decent price? Thanks!

It's a 340 now, but I'm building a 408. I'm trying to get all of the little things straightened out now, so that when the engine is done, I won't be looking for a pulley.

According to what I've found, any pre-magnum, post '70, small block, w/o A/C pulley will work. That's what I'm trying to confirm and find. Thanks!

I can see that your alt bracket is jimmy rigged too. I have the correct 1 with all of the spacers. If you put the correct bracket on it looks like the pulley will be off and you may need a deeper 1.

Yes, it's a later 340 and the 360/408 is the same. I think that the water pump pulley that's on there now is a A/C equipped pulley.

I have a set of non-chromed alternator brackets but I need the correct bolts and spacers.

Brian do you know the depth and diameter of the pulley you need? I have a few water pump pulley's but have no idea what their off of. If you can give me the dimensions I'll measure the ones I have and see if any are correct. An easy way to measure them is to lay it down on a bench snout first then lay a straight piece of flat bar across it and measure the distance from the back of the pulley to the i.d. where it touches the water pump.

Fishy that would be great, but if I had one to measure I wouldn't need one! lol

I tried looking up the specs but I'm finding all sorts of different measurements. Here's one on Ebay that looks right, he says it's 6 1/8 by 2 7/8". I don't know if that's right or not?

673382603_tp.jpg

It's hard to stick a tape measure down there and measure from the front of the old pulley to the back of the second groove of the existing crank pulley. I found this on the BPE website, it shows the correct offset for an A engine with an aluminum pump to be 4 17/32".

Abodypulleyoffset_zpsc24490b5.jpg

The crank pulley that I have is 2 1/4", that leaves approximately 2 1/4" for the water pump pulley plus add 1/8" for the thickness of the pulley. Anyone want to check my math?

the one you have on there isnt correct. that is an ac water pump pulley. you need a regular water pump pulley for non ac, 1970 later (aluminum water pump) the one you posted from bpe website is correct. the one on ebay is correct as well.

the one you have on there isnt correct.
I know.
that is an ac water pump pulley.
I know.
you need a regular water pump pulley for non ac, 1970 later (aluminum water pump)
I know.
the one you posted from bpe website is correct.
I know.
the one on ebay is correct as well.
I wasn't sure.

I'm trying to find a member who is selling one at a decent price who knows that it came off a 70+ small block w/o AC, and doesn't want to break it off in my arse for a freaking pulley that came off a 318 car.

Brian, here is a pic of one of the pulleys I have, Im 2 provinces away from my stash though...but I might be able to sweet talk Lori or one of the boys to go digging for you??

I also started a link on pulley BS..LOL, I will get that link and post here for you...You in a panic for the pulley??

What is your crank pulley??

Attachments

• DSCF8416 (Medium).jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCF8413 (Medium).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 291
well it looks like you know what wp pulley you need.

looks like you will also need the crank pulley. the correct wp pulley for your application is a larger dia then what you have now and will not fit with that crank pulley.

here are the two pulleys ya need.. the alt bracket looks ok..

with ps
pulley1.png

without ps
nonpspulley.jpg

pulley2.png

I also believe that you will have to run a single pulley alt versus the double row alt pulley that you have now. The double row alt pulley is for a/c. Once you get your alternator brackest straightened out.

Fishy that would be great, but if I had one to measure I wouldn't need one! lol

I just thought you could tell by how much off the one you have now is. For instance if it's 1/2" too shallow you'd need one that's a 1/2" deeper. I'll look and see if any of the ones I have are the # Steve said it is.

I thought you can just use one groove on a double groove alternator pulley but if it doesn't line up I'm nearly positive I have a brand new single groove alternator pulley. I recently bought a new alternator and took it off to put a set of March pulleys on it. If you need it let me know. $5 plus shipping and it's yours. Pretty sure it's small enough to fit in a small flat rate USPS box so the shipping would only be $5-6

I thought you can just use one groove on a double groove alternator pulley but if it doesn't line up I'm nearly positive I have a brand new single groove alternator pulley.

yes you can use the alt pulley groove closest to the motor with the correct wp and crank pulley

I know.

I know.

I know.

I know.

I wasn't sure.

I'm trying to find a member who is selling one at a decent price who knows that it came off a 70+ small block w/o AC, and doesn't want to break it off in my arse for a freaking pulley that came off a 318 car.

Well good luck with that kind sir. its a mopar part, meaning its gold. ya see that jerkwad who thinks rusted out, sun beatin, torn buckets seats are worth 500 bucks? no thanks.

I hopa ya find what ur looking for.

the one steve has listed, is also correct.

Ok Joe, Im not trying to confuse things, but an AC would have 2 sheaves/grooves would it not?? Dont ALL non AC have one groove?? Here I go confusing the shite outta things!!

I was going to say you got the wrong water pump too, you need the iron one if you want to use the dated water pump pulleys...make any sense? if you start buying 68 pulleys and put them on a 73 pump, things may get dicey...68 and 72 pictured...see differences in height, heck, as well as inlet side!
getimage.php

getimage.php

Ok Joe, Im not trying to confuse things, but an AC would have 2 sheaves/grooves would it not?? Dont ALL non AC have one groove?? Here I go confusing the shite outta things!!

no, not on a 70-up car.

on a 70-up a/c car the twin belts go: crank,a/c compressor and the alt. the single belt goes: wp,power steering and crank.

check it out.. kinda hard to see but the twin belts go behind the wp pulley..

pulley068.jpg

I was going to say you got the wrong water pump too, you need the iron one if you want to use the dated water pump pulleys...make any sense? if you start buying 68 pulleys and put them on a 73 pump, things may get dicey...68 and 72 pictured...see differences in height, heck, as well as inlet side!
getimage.php

getimage.php

??????? he has the proper water pump and alt. brackets for the pulley he posted from BPE

Thanks Joe! Never knew that, Im more familiar with 69 and down....even then I aint so smart!!
Yes he is using the alum water pump, 70 +

-
Back